Pod Your Reef

Edit: BARNACLE

WormLicker

This definitely wasn't on my bumblebee when I got him, he's been in for a few days and while feeding corals I noticed it. 

Bumblebee has been hanging around the zoas, not eating them. I assume whatever this is crawled off of those? (I have been offering tiny pieces of shrimp and a lil squirt of zoo/phyto for the bumblebee when I feed everything else)

Thanks in advance! 

Edit: I'm now seeing some impossible to photograph bristle worm like fans poking out, is this a barnacle or baby worm??? Heck

IMG_20210814_111050046.jpg

IMG_20210814_112122.jpg

The center of that thing sure looks like the barnacles I've seen in tide pools and scraped off of boats. But I don't remember any of them having 'legs'. Sure is a cool little critter!

• Like 3

That's a barnacle. The "legs" are its feeding fan. It'll stick them out and make a grasping motion at the water to filter out food. Fun fact: that's a crustacean, like a shrimp or crab. It's just a sessile crustacean. They also practice internal fertilization, for some absurd reason, instead of releasing gametes into the water to fertilize the eggs externally. This is difficult, when you're permanently glued to a rock. Hence the absurdity. 

Hopefully it does well. They're filter-feeders, so may not live long in some tanks. At least a smaller one has a decent chance at getting enough food for itself. 

The worms that have fans are fanworms/feather dusters. Bristleworms just have spines. 

Careful with the bumblebee snail, those can eat worms. 

I don't think that's a newly settled barnacle (looks from pics online like a freshly settled larva is differently-shaped), so it was probably on the snail and you just didn't see it from the right angle. 

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, Tired said:

That's a barnacle. 

Alrighty, thank you! Much appreciate the information!

I thought to myself; what an awful spot to land. But also, just out of the bumblebee's reach !! So, sortof genius. He's the only "carnivore" in there.