SaltCritters.com

Majano advice please

deetu

I've been reading that a lot of you like these little boogers but I have a 4 year old 20 gallon AIO FOWLR with macro

20210813_105819.thumb.jpg.d3a8dc46d66c4d3367f02d5068f8bb16.jpg

so really don't want them.  When I found the first one I thought, oh cute

20210222_134343(1).thumb.jpg.84fe4b9d38ec2ecbbee2886a13a7b81c.jpg

...but then I found a few more and my clownfish wasn't feeling well so I treated her wondering if she got stung.  I know they have an immunity to anemones but in February I lost her mate and almost lost her from them trying to host some beautiful mushrooms I had gotten. I'm pretty sure that is when the majano first came in.  I took out some small rock rubble last week and the bottoms were covered with them so can imagine with I am in store for.  I recently lost my tongans and wonder if they were the cause...

20201005_161956.thumb.jpg.7d41ed5eb5e947e83c8874bdb77330ed.jpg

When I was searching how to treat, I found a post on this site that I have since lost lol  But the recommendation was to burn them with blue flame lighter.  So now the advice...  I picked up a lighter.  It is semi blue flame but pinpoint.   Since I don't have coral I believe it will work fine.

I was trying to figure out how to do this without upsetting the fish too much (two clowns, clown goby, firefish, rainford goby, sexy shrimps, two hermits and assorted snails)  I only have a 2.5 gallon tank.  So the thought came... and let me know if this will work... to put the live rock in 5 gallon bucket with aeration and light after the burning.  Will this upset the tank too much?  I can put the macro in the 2.5 and temp plastic plants in the display for hiding.  Along with the rock rubble that I put under hot water and peroxide, scraped and then into the 2.5 gallon that has cycled sponge filter in it.

Since the boogers hide in the rock crevices, is there a way to see them?  I have a blue twilight that doesn't make them glow.  

And will there be any residual from burning them that I would need to worry about.

I also don't want to kill my coraline and these tiny feather dusters that are on the live rock. 

I only want to do this once so want to make sure I get those boogers. 

Thank you for any thoughts and advice. 

If you have an extra $40-50 and want to have a load of fun doing it, you can pick up a 1-3w laser and burn them off (this is as dangerous as it sounds - wear eye protection). Or, you can copy Paul Baldassano's design and build a majano wand to electrocute them.

I've done this on my pico for aiptasia, but I only had a few. Had everyone in the office watching.

10 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Somebody seems to really hate is Majano 😡, injecting kalkwasser mix, lemon juice, or aptasia x seems to work according to forums.

http://www.3reef.com/threads/whats-the-safest-way-to-kill-majano-anemone.135922/

Unfortunately it has reached a point where they are growing under the rock that was in the sand so it's past the injecting the visible ones.  😣 

1 minute ago, jservedio said:

If you have an extra $40-50 and want to have a load of fun doing it, you can pick up a 1-3w laser and burn them off (this is as dangerous as it sounds - wear eye protection). Or, you can copy Paul Baldassano's design and build a majano wand to electrocute them.

I saw that and it looks cool but when I lifted out the small rubble rock the bottom of it was coated with them.  This rock was in the sand so my base rock has to be coated too

10 minutes ago, deetu said:

I saw that and it looks cool but when I lifted out the small rubble rock the bottom of it was coated with them.  This rock was in the sand so my base rock has to be coated too

If you can remove the rocks, it gets a little easier. Take a rock out, hit the nem with a blowtorch quickly and pop it in a small holding tank. You can't physically get to them when they retract into crevices, but a torch will get them. It will absolutely cause a little die off in the area you hit (like 1/2-1" across), but that's why you use a small holding tank to clean everything left over off.

If you don't mind losing your shrooms, you can use a chocolate chip starfish. They'll eat majanos, but they will go ham on your corals too (especially softies).

• Like 1
10 hours ago, jservedio said:

If you can remove the rocks, it gets a little easier. Take a rock out, hit the nem with a blowtorch quickly and pop it in a small holding tank. You can't physically get to them when they retract into crevices, but a torch will get them. It will absolutely cause a little die off in the area you hit (like 1/2-1" across), but that's why you use a small holding tank to clean everything left over off.

If you don't mind losing your shrooms, you can use a chocolate chip starfish. They'll eat majanos, but they will go ham on your corals too (especially softies).

That's what I'm thinking but was going to use 5 gallon bucket... would that be okay?

I returned the mushrooms back in February when I found the clowns getting sick from them.  You can see the white slime on them in the picture.  Female's tail started rotting and male was hiding and passed in a day it took me to get the EM.

I don't have any corals, only macro but believe chocolate chip starfish are evil from past experience 😏

thank you for you advice

• Like 1