Top Shelf Aquatics

TimeOrMoney

1 minute ago, filefishfinatic said:

bury your rock in the sand and make a dutch garden of sympodium, gsp, blue polyp, encrusting leathers and things and get some crinoids to look like windmills 

MAYBE! Great idea. I have this vision of grassy fields and forest (gsp and Euphy).

37 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

forgot euphillia. but bury the rock or like put mesh over it to make a contiguious mat for the coral to grow in on 

Oh I see. Cool thanks. Will look that up. 

3 days after dosing ammonium chloride, the ammo is dropping and is aaaaalmost at zero. Tomorrow I expect it will be at 0 and I also expect Nitrates to be pretty high. 🤞

One thing I did notice was that there was a light dusting of diatoms, or what I think were diatoms, and the ammo chloride cleared all of them. The rocks are spotless again and the sand is extremely clean...

filefishfinatic

add bottle bac then next day get a hardy pilot fish and pilot coral to start the tank. cycling isnt really that important ime. i got a fish and a coral and cuc on day 1. i know many people who have had it work sucsessfully for. cycling just means having a colony of bacteria and a bottle bac bottle does that. 

• Sad 2

Obviously it's way too early to add any livestock. Give it time to finish cycling.

You need to have your ammonia and nitrites down to 0.

0.5  is way too high and would be equivalent to torturing fish.

5 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

go to your lfs and get yer fish

I want to add a shrimp goby first, then a shrimp for them to pair. Do want a torch coral or like 4...lol

M. Tournesol
26 minutes ago, TimeOrMoney said:

Do want a torch coral or like 4...lol

Maybe go for a cheap coral (zoanthus?) at the start to see if your tank is corals ready 😉.
I started mine with a pink seriatopora hystrix and a bonus zoanthus (was on one of my now-dead feather dusters).

Just now, M. Tournesol said:

Maybe go for a cheap coral (zoanthus?) at the start to see if your tank is corals ready 😉.
I started mine with a pink seriatopora hystrix and a bonus zoanthus (was on one of my now-dead feather dusters).

I wooooould do that, but I have strict rules for this tank. Euphy and GSP, shrimp/goby, and 2 firefish. And that's it. I have a vision. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TimeOrMoney said:

Yes I went to Petco. No I'm not ashamed, lol...

2 Firefish and an Emerald Crab. Easy, yet beautiful. This tank shall be simple, I swear it!

20210831_122150.thumb.jpg.5cd7691a2103a7ee86cd82c5d30e342b.jpg

I know of at least one good reefer in this forum that works at a Petco. Some Petcos are well staffed with people that take care of the tanks. 

2 minutes ago, banasophia said:

I know of at least one good reefer in this forum that works at a Petco. Some Petcos are well staffed with people that take care of the tanks. 

The one here is super clean. Better than both the LFSs... And almost better stocked with fish and CuC. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

How are your parameters three days after introducing your fishes ?

Ive only tested Nitrates. They were below 5 yesterday. I plan to add a CuC on Tuesday. Gonna do a WC this evening. Everything else is nominal. 

• Like 1

20210905_125325-01.thumb.jpeg.072b7fd548d8320d39f9b4109eaf7078.jpeg

5g WC and full testing. Ph is LOW... Opened the windows and will test later. Ammo, Trate and Trite all excellent. Nitrates are hard to see in this low light but appear to be close to 0. Fish are eating and pretty happy, although they still do not like it when the light comes on. Probably just used to natural low-k fluorescents at Petco.

It appears that filter floss will need to be changed weekly. It was pretty dark after 5 days. 

CuC will be added in a few days. 

All in all, goin good!

20210905_125518.thumb.jpg.f92bb6a6beaed6c249c8dd2c0bf2e3d4.jpg

• Like 1