Cultivated Reef

snail sighting and possible turbo problem

rough eye

i've seen nerite and stomatella snail(s) in my tank, that came in as hitchhikers. today i see a 3rd - possibly nassarius, that must have also come in as a hitchhiker. it's tiny - about the size of a grain of rice. has a periscope type proboscis sticking up and a white shell, round in front and conical taper to the back. are there other snails that stick a proboscis up like that? it was just sitting on the sand.

meanwhile, I'm worried about my mexican turbo. it's been in the tank 4 or 5 months. the past few days it hasn't moved from where it's hanging onto the glass, wedged against the sand. i just checked that it's still holding on and no side in ammonia yet. should i be concerned? A few weeks ago he started falling over and came back around after a day or 2 of that.

in other news, the astraea snail is single-handedly polishing my most algae-laden rock clean. he spends all his time there now and the clean area keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Murphs_Reef

For info. You can edit the title anytime you like 👍🏼 

I have turbos that sit and do nothing for days on end and some sit on the glass just below the sand line without movement for a couple days. All fine.. your right the ones that are about to die usually loose grip and fall onto their backs...

Just keep an eye out and keep testing water..

• Like 1
On 8/6/2021 at 5:04 PM, rough eye said:

i've seen nerite and stomatella snail(s) in my tank, that came in as hitchhikers. today i see a 3rd - possibly nassarius, that must have also come in as a hitchhiker. it's tiny - about the size of a grain of rice. has a periscope type proboscis sticking up and a white shell, round in front and conical taper to the back. are there other snails that stick a proboscis up like that? it was just sitting on the sand.

meanwhile, I'm worried about my mexican turbo. it's been in the tank 4 or 5 months. the past few days it hasn't moved from where it's hanging onto the glass, wedged against the sand. i just checked that it's still holding on and no side in ammonia yet. should i be concerned? A few weeks ago he started falling over and came back around after a day or 2 of that.

in other news, the astraea snail is single-handedly polishing my most algae-laden rock clean. he spends all his time there now and the clean area keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Hopefully you have a Nassarius snail, not a Whelk.  You can read about the difference here: https://www.melevsreef.com/articles/whelk-versus-nassarius

Sometimes my jumbo Mexican Turbo Snail and Zebra Turbo Snail likes to sleep for what seems to be a day.  I just look on the glass and make sure it’s still suctioned to it.  Once they lose that suction and show no sign of life when messing with it, then it’s time to say good bye (but if that happened, my Shrimpy would be all over it so I’d know either way if something was awry).

• Like 2

update on turbo:

after 3 more days of not moving from the spot it was in, foot pressed to the glass and shell pressed into the sand, i noticed it at feeding time today because i could see through the glass that an amphipod was excavating the sand under it, and between its flesh and the shell was a gap that the same amphipod was moving in and out of. it still was gripping the glass though. a few hours later i checked and saw it had withdrawn and shriveled into the shell. i took it out of the tank, seeing no sign of life from it.

i still have one each astraea and trochus and may buy another of one of those. still seeing stomatella regularly and that tiny nassarius surfaced again at feeding time. it's almost pure white with very pale stripes.