Coral Vue Hydros

Help me please! Anenome may be dying after a water change.

Iamdasauce

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I have had a GBTA for the last few months. 3 Days ago I did  a water change and I slightly screwed up my salinity to 1.027 and quickly adjusted it back to 1.025 after realizing my mistake. All of my coral are doing well and so are my reef tank inhabitants. However, my anemone is really struggling. I am seeing a white spewage coming out of it and it has shrunk as well as fallen down to the sand. I need to know what is going wrong because my parameters are fine for everything else. Do you guys believe i may have accidently shocked it? The clown fish is still hosting it. I appreciate any help or feedback. My aquarium is a 25 lagoon. I have provided a picture below. 

Thank you!Anemoneintrouble.thumb.JPG.8bfddc4cd1708619ae48b9f7376ee053.JPG

I doubt that small of a salinity difference would have done that kind of damage, but you probably want to keep the clown away.  That white stuff in the middle is probably its guts, and it looks real bad otherwise.

I'd recommend some kind of quarantine tank if you're attempting rehab, but unless it's gotten better since you've taken this picture, it may be a lost cause and you should consider removing it before it fowls the water.

Sorry for the loss, but as I said I don't know if anything can be done at this point and doubt such a small salinity change was the cause (especially if it was the water added that was 1.027 vs. the tank as a whole.

• Like 1

I also doubt that your slight salinity swing would have caused your anemone to deteriorate so rapidly. Look for other contaminates that may have been introduced with the water  change. Check alkalinity and temp of water in tank vs new water.

Get it out of the tank!!

• Like 2

Thank you guys for your responses. I greatly appreciate them. I must have screwed up the temperature match or added a contaminant unintentionally. Super disappointed in my self but i know that i will learn from it, and do better the next time i have a nem.

• Like 1

Yeah, that salinity shouldn't have done nearly this much damage. I don't think a couple degrees temperature difference would be a problem, either. You'd need a significant temperature difference, or some sort of contaminant. 

Has anyone sprayed anything or used any cleaners near the tank? 

Did this start happening right after the water change, or later? 

• Like 1

No there has not been any cleaners used near it. The only thing I have lost has been the anemone. All other inhabitants are fine and my coral is opening up like usual. Not sure how I messed it up. Will grow and learn from this though.

3 hours ago, Tired said:

Yeah, that salinity shouldn't have done nearly this much damage. I don't think a couple degrees temperature difference would be a problem, either. You'd need a significant temperature difference, or some sort of contaminant. 

Has anyone sprayed anything or used any cleaners near the tank? 

Did this start happening right after the water change, or later? 

23 hours ago, Iamdasauce said:

Not sure how I messed it up. Will grow and learn from this though.

Yes, we certainly learn from our mistakes, but without knowing what the mistake was, how can you learn from it. I hope you can come to some conclusion, even if it is just theory. We all learn from each others mistakes.