Innovative Marine Aquariums

How are we killing our critters?

Bendegeit

3 minutes ago, Bendegeit said:

@rough eye The irony to this, of course, is that my decision to dose came from consulting someone I considered a 'coral expert.' The guy has a big operation with huge selection of corals from $25 all the way up to $3,000 or more and in sizes from tiny stone-coin rooted frags up to papaya fruit sized things.

not really ironic. the corals i've added so far are soft corals, which are easier to keep and typically don't require dosing. i'm trying to keep things simple.

2 minutes ago, Bendegeit said:

@rough eye The irony to this, of course, is that my decision to dose came from consulting someone I considered a 'coral expert.' The guy has a big operation with huge selection of corals from $25 all the way up to $3,000 or more and in sizes from tiny stone-coin rooted frags up to papaya fruit sized things.

Dosing for a very large system versus a nano. I asked my LFS similar questions and his response was keep up what I was doing (regular water changes) and don't dose.

I haven’t had to dose anything to my tank until about 6 weeks ago to put things in perspective. I started my tank last August. So I went 10-11 months before needing to dose anything. The only reason I have to dose now is that my water changes can’t keep up with the Sps depleting things in my tank. Such as alk,cal, and mag. I personally dose kalkwasser through an ato but that’s what works for me. I have a good evapation rate so it works well so far. Though I would not recommend this method for you. IF your WC’s are not keeping your elements steady then your 2-part is a great way to replenish and a much user friendly method.

@rough eye The turbo is definitely dead. Hope I didn't leave it in the tank too long. I noticed this about both the Large turbo and the Red-banded turbo, each about a day or so before they died: I would see it on the side of the tank really stretched out, almost like it was barely holding on.  Later it looked fine again but within 2 days was dead. I can't help wondering if that is a way to identify a problem and, possibly, try to intervene before death? Anyone have any experience there?

@DevilDuck Got the timer now. I like it. Still waiting on the blue strip.

@seabass Ordered an ammonia tester. Waiting for that to arrive. Other than the Turbo dying things seem stable. The zoas are opening a bit. Nothing is happening to the hammer/frogspawn. Couldn't find frozen shrimp but I got a different frozen item with lots of 'protein' that the cardinal really likes.  And, of course, my cleaner shrimp which is by far the largest creature in the tank and 'attacks' our hands whenever we reach in to do anything. Kinda tickles.

Thanks, again, to everyone for all the help.

On another thread here on Nano-Reef I noticed someone acclimatized a molly to help with GHA. When I'm ready to add another fish just curious of recommendations?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bendegeit said:

When I'm ready to add another fish just curious of recommendations?

Keeping in mind that this is only a 13 gallon tank, your options are fairly limited.  Does your tank have a top?  A lot of nano-safe fish are instinctual jumpers as a defense mechanism.

I might consider a small goby, blenny, or firefish.  Maybe a Possum Wrasse, or even a Royal Gramma.  An Ocellaris Clownfish is also an option.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your help, friends. There are a lot of factors that influence these processes and it seems to me that the flora suffers greatly due to global warming. This is a terrible phenomenon of the 20th and 21st centuries, with which we all need to fight. I read more information about this phenomenon and realized that the bifurcation point has already been passed by us and we, as humanity, must try very hard to save our planet.

filefishfinatic
On 8/7/2021 at 10:37 PM, Bendegeit said:

BTW, can anyone tell me what this light-green round growth is? And if we should be alarmed by it?

20210807_220713.thumb.jpg.90b6577230d52bbfe40c1f9aeb6a1d5d.jpg

sponge its good