Top Shelf Aquatics

Water Level In Peninsula Mini 15

okale

Hello Everybody, 

I just bought a Peninsula Mini 15. As this is my first AIO, I was testing how to keep the water levels in the main tank and the back of the tank.

The first chamber(leftmost) does not have anything but I plan to keep filter floss and carbon in it. 

The second chamber has the heater.

The third chamber has the standard default pump.

I can see that the water levels are dropping as water goes from left chamber to right chamber. 

I wanted to ask a few things : 

1.Is this the right water level or is it too high for main as well as the back chambers?

2.Is the water drop significant or need more drop?

3.Where should I place an ATO. I am planning to use this Level based ATO(without any sensor or bottle based). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083TFLF9N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any suggestions?

Thanks!,

Omkar

154387379_WhatsAppImage2021-07-29at1_07_45PM.thumb.jpeg.bdc5ec043f6ad45387a44d68cd369ce3.jpeg

M. Tournesol
9 minutes ago, okale said:

1.Is this the right water level or is it too high for main as well as the back chambers?

2.Is the water drop significant or need more drop?

3.Where should I place an ATO. I am planning to use this Level based ATO(without any sensor or bottle

1. to high

2. more drop

3. in the third chamber (with should have the lower level)

• Like 1

The leftmost chamber is approximately at the same height as the main tank display.

The middle chamber is slight below the leftmost chamber level.

There is a drop in the rightmost chamber where the return pump is. It completely covered the return pump before. Now it is approximately 1/2 inch below it.

20 hours ago, M. Tournesol said:

you're welcome 😉

my chamber 2 is still giving me headaches, the top sponges often  arent fully submerged, I checked for blockages but cannot find anything. If anything, the sponges are a tight fit, thats the only reason I canthink of that causes the sponges to  not be fully submerged.

M. Tournesol
12 minutes ago, okale said:

The leftmost chamber is approximately at the same height as the main tank display.

The middle chamber is slight below the leftmost chamber level.

There is a drop in the rightmost chamber where the return pump is. It completely covered the return pump before. Now it is approximately 1/2 inch below it.

With evaporation, the rightmost chamber will go lower and lower. This is why the ATO sensor must be put in this chamber. It should be the only chamber where the water level change.

• Like 1

Yes. I am planning to install the ATO sensor there once I have added the filter media and checked the water level changes. Thanks for the input.

• Like 1
M. Tournesol
6 minutes ago, rojees said:

my chamber 2 is still giving me headaches, the top sponges often  arent fully submerged, I checked for blockages but cannot find anything. If anything, the sponges are a tight fit, thats the only reason I canthink of that causes the sponges to  not be fully submerged.

If your sponge is above the level highlighted with a yellow circle, this is normal. You should put your sponge temporary in your display to observer how your AIO comporte itself without it 😉.

1995192876_Capturedcran2021-07-1611_43_02.png.0e5b330ff49ce23066e0ef4c63664126.thumb.png.ed2c559bf145681139eb4d06e9582918.png

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

If your sponge is above the level highlighted with a yellow circle, this is normal. You should put your sponge temporary in your display to observer how your AIO comporte itself without it 😉.

1995192876_Capturedcran2021-07-1611_43_02.png.0e5b330ff49ce23066e0ef4c63664126.thumb.png.ed2c559bf145681139eb4d06e9582918.png

my sponges are perhaps couple inches below the baffle wall, where the water trickles from chamber 1.  When i have topped off more water to cover the sponges, perhaps the next day or so, the top sponge is no longer fully  submerged, perhaps the water is just touching the sponge surface or even 1/2 cm or so below the sponge i.e. part of the sponge is sticking out exposed to the air.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, M. Tournesol said:

You shouldn't bother yourself about the sponges. Your rocks (now that you have bought some) will be your true bacteria media. Remove one of the sponges or just let it be out of the water.

ok! I like what you say!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

A small update.

I reduced the water level of the display tank to 30 - 40% of the holes for the first hole.

The first back chamber of the AIO has the same level.

The second chamber gets water from the first chamber and then there is a drop.

So, the third chamber is now receiving cascaded water from the second chamber.  The level of water in the third chamber is 5 inch from the rim of the tank.

Although will be testing it more and will update the results.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Hi,

I'm having the same problem, the water level in the display tank is about halfway up the holes going into the filter sock, chamber 2 is at the same level and so is chamber 3. 

This is the first time the tank has been filled up, should it be like that?

14 hours ago, LukeRobbo said:

Hi,

I'm having the same problem, the water level in the display tank is about halfway up the holes going into the filter sock, chamber 2 is at the same level and so is chamber 3. 

This is the first time the tank has been filled up, should it be like that?

With the return pump running there should be a noticeable difference in water levels in each chamber. 

The first chamber should have a slight drop to skim the surface of the tank, the third chamber will vary depending on the flow from the return pump, but on my 20 cube it sits roughly an inch below the return elbow. The second chamber will sit between these two levels. An ATO sensor should sit in the third chamber once the desired water level is set. 

I run my display level just below the Waterbox logo on the front glass.

On 4/10/2022 at 6:52 AM, NanoGrant said:

With the return pump running there should be a noticeable difference in water levels in each chamber. 

The first chamber should have a slight drop to skim the surface of the tank, the third chamber will vary depending on the flow from the return pump, but on my 20 cube it sits roughly an inch below the return elbow. The second chamber will sit between these two levels. An ATO sensor should sit in the third chamber once the desired water level is set. 

I run my display level just below the Waterbox logo on the front glass.

The pump is running, the level in my display tank is about halfway up the intake slots. The level in chamber 2 is equal with the panel in the chamber where the water comes from chamber 1. Chamber 3 where my return pump is, is exactly level with chamber 2. Any ideas why this is? If I make the water level any higher all the chambers go up equally and sit at the same level in all 3.

And more importantly is this a cause for concern, or will it cause any issues? 

Sorry I’m new to the hobby, done so much research for months but this type of thing wasn’t in the forums 😂

16 hours ago, LukeRobbo said:

The pump is running, the level in my display tank is about halfway up the intake slots. The level in chamber 2 is equal with the panel in the chamber where the water comes from chamber 1. Chamber 3 where my return pump is, is exactly level with chamber 2. Any ideas why this is? If I make the water level any higher all the chambers go up equally and sit at the same level in all 3.

And more importantly is this a cause for concern, or will it cause any issues? 

Sorry I’m new to the hobby, done so much research for months but this type of thing wasn’t in the forums 😂

To be fair that sounds ok. I was maybe a bit too optimistic with the level differences!

I’ve had a wee look and chamber 2 & 3 do sit about equal, there’s a tiny difference between them. My level in chamber 2 is about 3/4” above the panel where it flows in. Chamber 3 is a fraction lower but not that much. 

If anything it sounds like you could probably put a bit more water in. 

I’ve found a picture with my refugium light on so it makes the rear chamber visible. The water level is a little bit lower than what it is now, it’s  now actually closer to the bottom of the white Waterbox sticker.  

FC73AFF6-3F0C-46DC-B965-12D0D224FC40.thumb.jpeg.c6063b123d9017da7d7937450c9034b8.jpeg

4 hours ago, NanoGrant said:

To be fair that sounds ok. I was maybe a bit too optimistic with the level differences!

I’ve had a wee look and chamber 2 & 3 do sit about equal, there’s a tiny difference between them. My level in chamber 2 is about 3/4” above the panel where it flows in. Chamber 3 is a fraction lower but not that much. 

If anything it sounds like you could probably put a bit more water in. 

I’ve found a picture with my refugium light on so it makes the rear chamber visible. The water level is a little bit lower than what it is now, it’s  now actually closer to the bottom of the white Waterbox sticker.  

FC73AFF6-3F0C-46DC-B965-12D0D224FC40.thumb.jpeg.c6063b123d9017da7d7937450c9034b8.jpeg

Thanks man, appreciate the help! 

The tank is cycling at the minute so I’ll top the level up when I do my end of cycle water change.

• Like 1