Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How to run macroalgae in back compartment of AIO (Waterbox 35.2)

Butchy21

Hi all,

Finally trying to set up my new Waterbox 35.2 AIO tank.  I've had cheato running in a DIY HOB refugium in my old tank and it has been really solid for pulling out excess nutrients.

My original thought was to use Chamber #1 in the back for growing Chaeto.  I purchased an adjustable media basket to place macroalgae in and I was going to stick on a IM refugium light onto the back of the tank for a proper light source but it turns out the Waterbox AIO has a solid black backing.  Tried to shine a flashlight through and it blocks everything basically.  I do not want to try and tear off the backing only for a single compartment (which I may no longer use for algae in the future).

Any thoughts on a small LED light to only light up a single compartment for chaeto?  It would have to be directed straight down from the top - a flexible small LED system?

Adjustable media basket for Chaeto

https://intankaquatics.com/intank-chamber-one-media-basket-for-waterbox-cube-waterbox-marine-waterbox-marine-x-waterbox-peninsula-mini/

Purchased refugium light:  too large to hang across the top - it would light up like 50% of the back compartments

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/chaetomax-2-n-1-refugium-led-auqa-gadget-innovative-marine.html

mitten_reef

What about tunze refugium light stick, eco chic I think they’re called. Either right in the same chamber, or mount on the next chamber over shining toward your chaeto chamber.  

On 7/28/2021 at 4:56 PM, mitten_reef said:

What about tunze refugium light stick, eco chic I think they’re called. Either right in the same chamber, or mount on the next chamber over shining toward your chaeto chamber.  

Ohh thanks for the idea! - I was not aware of submersible refugium lights.  That will definitely be a good option.

• Like 1