Pod Your Reef

UNS 30a as a reef?

CD_Scapes

Has anyone used a UNS 30a as a reef, if so what modifications did you do to make it useable as a reef? I know I will be taking out the filter sponge and putting in some biomedia. Besides that I will be getting another Duetto ATO and possibly upgrade the pump to a sicce micraplus or micra. I also have an AI Nero 3 that I could use for better flow as well as a Kessil a80 as my light. Any recommendations for anything else? I might go with another soft coral/macroalgae tank with a goby or blenny species. 

• Like 1

I just recently bought this tank too! I’ve already started to mod the hell out of it. 

- The stock pump was really loud and crappy. I upgraded that to a Tunze 1073.008. Its a tight fit but it is silent and pumps enough water to not need any additional flow.

- I created and 3d printed a media basket for it since I didn’t find any. I could share the cad files if you’d like. 

- For lighting, I’m gong with the reef breeders salt water pico led. I plan on only keeping softies and maybe a photosynthetic gorgonian. Plus anything bigger 

- Funny enough I’m getting the duetto ato in the mail tomorrow I’ll let you know if it fits well. 

Thats all I’ve done so far. I’m thinking about adding one of those new hydros controllers to monitor the temp and stuff when I’m away. 

On 7/26/2021 at 10:57 PM, Mitch619 said:

I just recently bought this tank too! I’ve already started to mod the hell out of it. 

- The stock pump was really loud and crappy. I upgraded that to a Tunze 1073.008. Its a tight fit but it is silent and pumps enough water to not need any additional flow.

- I created and 3d printed a media basket for it since I didn’t find any. I could share the cad files if you’d like. 

- For lighting, I’m gong with the reef breeders salt water pico led. I plan on only keeping softies and maybe a photosynthetic gorgonian. Plus anything bigger 

- Funny enough I’m getting the duetto ato in the mail tomorrow I’ll let you know if it fits well. 

Thats all I’ve done so far. I’m thinking about adding one of those new hydros controllers to monitor the temp and stuff when I’m away. 

Might actually end up doing this as a reef TBH. Going to see what the LFS has for live rock on monday. Already have the sand and an ATO so it should be super easy to make a reef