Cultivated Reef

Microscope view of stuff covering my sand.

VitoD

Looks like dinoflagellates to me, but hard to tell what type from that image.  Are they moving?  What magnification are they at?

There's a ton of info out there on IDing and fighting dinos - there are a couple of giant threads on R2R that pop up on google, and there's a facebook group called Mack's reef dinoflagellate support group, that has some great ID and treatment documents.   Mccarroll here on nanoreef has a lot of great dino advice, so I'd look for some of his threads (he's a major contributor to the main R2R thread on the subject too). 

Good luck, and get your nitrate and phosphate above 0 asap!

14 hours ago, sublunary said:

Looks like dinoflagellates to me, but hard to tell what type from that image.  Are they moving?  What magnification are they at?

There's a ton of info out there on IDing and fighting dinos - there are a couple of giant threads on R2R that pop up on google, and there's a facebook group called Mack's reef dinoflagellate support group, that has some great ID and treatment documents.   Mccarroll here on nanoreef has a lot of great dino advice, so I'd look for some of his threads (he's a major contributor to the main R2R thread on the subject too). 

That was at 100x. They were just kind of swimming around in a forward motion. 

Thank you for your help. 

15 hours ago, sublunary said:

Do you know why it’s suggested to use Microbacter7 to help fight Dinos which the Microbacter7 is said to also lower nutrients which is what causes the Dinos in the first place? Everything I read says to raise nutrients. 

Ok at 100x it's probably one of the large cell types, but we'd need more detail to tell which type it is.  

Microbacter7 is a mix of beneficial bacterias.  It looks like it covers the nitrogen cycle, but also has strains that help lower nutrients by breaking down and processing waste.  Part of why people recommend dosing bacterial products is that dinos do really well in tanks without a lot of bacterial diversity and diverse microfauna.   You will want to increase diversity in your tank, especially if you started with dry rock.  

However, mccarroll and others strongly recommend against dosing bacterial products because the dinos eat bacteria, so that can be counter productive.   

I think it's one of those things with no clear answer yet, partially because everyone fighting dinos tends to do 12 things at once.  I've been fighting prorocentrum dinos since December.  I added some bottled bacteria early on, and it didn't help in the slightest. But I was also kind of flailing around trying things randomly, so i didn't give it the best chance.  *Shrug*

• Like 1