Bigals-nano-1

Candy Cane not opening.

Bigals-nano-1

I bought this 4 headed candy candy over a week ago and put it in my tank but it hasn’t showed any real signs of opening. In the LFS it looked great and was full open with each head about 15-20mm in diameter. I have tried thIs in a few different positions in the tank over the last week to no avail. The heads seem to be slightly darker in colour from when I got it. I have just checked all my parameters and posted a picture below of them. Should I just give this more time or should I be looking to do/ dose something? All other corals in the tank seem to be fine and opening up fine. 

6E6669B3-B781-40BF-8259-B56E9DE62280.jpeg

0A9AFEDD-5550-47B4-A334-F34AB1DE0BC3.jpeg

B3089B28-F27A-4BD6-80BC-432D2C2B5004.jpeg

M. Tournesol

your candy cane seems to be in a shaded area. You should maybe place it at the bottom of your tank in the enlighten sand and wait.

40 minutes ago, Bigals-nano-1 said:

should I be looking to do/ dose something?

In a nano, regular water change with a good salt should suffice.

(Disclaimer: never owned a candy cane)

Bigals-nano-1
6 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

your candy cane seems to be in a shaded area. You should maybe place it at the bottom of your tank in the enlighten sand and wait.

In a nano, regular water change with a good salt should suffice.

(Disclaimer: never owned a candy cane)

Thanks for your reply and I did have it on the sand bed in full light for 5 days and it never opened either. When I was at my LFS a few days ago they said that candy canes preferred a bit more shade and low to moderate flow so I moved it to see. I have been in this new position for 3.5 days now but no different. 

gena

It's only been a week and it sounds like it's been moved a few times.  It's acting completely normal.  I would set it in it's permanent spot and just leave it alone.  It will open eventually.

I do think you need to move it from where it is now.  That's too shaded.  While they do not mind a lower light situation, I think that's going to be too low.  Especially with the kenya? growing above it providing even more shade as it grows.  I would move it to any of your midlevel spots.  I see three prime locations.  Is that a torch on the left?  That's a good spot, or the somewhat closed zoas in the middle, or the zoas on the right under the duncan.  I would choose either the middle spot (swap those two) or the left side personally.

Bigals-nano-1
42 minutes ago, gena said:

It's only been a week and it sounds like it's been moved a few times.  It's acting completely normal.  I would set it in it's permanent spot and just leave it alone.  It will open eventually.

I do think you need to move it from where it is now.  That's too shaded.  While they do not mind a lower light situation, I think that's going to be too low.  Especially with the kenya? growing above it providing even more shade as it grows.  I would move it to any of your midlevel spots.  I see three prime locations.  Is that a torch on the left?  That's a good spot, or the somewhat closed zoas in the middle, or the zoas on the right under the duncan.  I would choose either the middle spot (swap those two) or the left side personally.

Thanks for your reply and information , yes that is a torch on the left of the tank and it seems to be very happy there so don’t want to move that. I have put the candy cane on the sand bed diagonally down from the torch where I had a mushroom sitting. I have put the Zoas that was in the middle where I originally had the candy cane and wedged the rock that has the mushroom on it in the middle section. I will just leave everything where it is now and see how things develop. It’s just been annoying after spending quite a bit of money on the candy cane and it is the only coral that has is not opening. 

41D66CE4-8DD6-4D5F-9B9F-8F92645598F4.jpeg

B916D70E-AFC8-4470-BE49-48F1452F5E7A.jpeg

jambon

Have you tried offering food? I have kept these in the past and they did take some mysis and pellets designed for fish. 

It may hellp if the flow was shut off and set a wee bit near the mouth. Once my candycane was established it grew into a nice colony with very little feedings. Good luck if there are fish present . 

I also noticed mine was more likely to open when the lights were down at night. 

• Like 1

Bigals-nano-1
4 hours ago, jambon said:

Have you tried offering food? I have kept these in the past and they did take some mysis and pellets designed for fish. 

It may hellp if the flow was shut off and set a wee bit near the mouth. Once my candycane was established it grew into a nice colony with very little feedings. Good luck if there are fish present . 

I also noticed mine was more likely to open when the lights were down at night. 

Thanks. I have tried feeding them directly with some mysis last night and tonight when I was feeding the fish, I distracted the fish and cleaner shrimps in the other corner of the tank with food and managed to give each polyp some. They look as though they at starting to puff up a bit though so here’s hoping. 

D5D356BC-88B7-441F-9EEC-B72C88CF3F20.jpeg

• Like 2