Innovative Marine Aquariums

macro algea turning white????

SBF

SBF,

Is it safe to assume you have caulerpa in your tank? If so, I recommend getting it all out asap and replacing it with chaetomorpha. It sounds to me like caulerpa going sexual!

Unless your macro is halimeda (cactus algae), which is a calcified algae. When that turns white it's dead and usually indicates that it wasn't getting enough calcium.

AReeferIsExpensive

mine does it too...it starts at the ends. i dont know what its from. i use a galaxy light over an aquafuge n figured it was from not enough lighting? sorta like coral bleaching~

Originally posted by Cellenzweig

SBF,

Is it safe to assume you have caulerpa in your tank?  If so, I recommend getting it all out asap and replacing it with chaetomorpha.  It sounds to me like caulerpa going sexual!

I agree, get it all out asap and switch to chaeto. Chaeto is very fast growning, great for nutrient export, and your lights do not have to be on 24/7.

B)

Bob

I would get the caulerpa out as soon as possible, don't worry about what you paid for it, that you like the look of it, etc... You will thank us in the long run. That stuff will TAKE OVER YOUR TANK. It could crash your tank too. I speak from experience. Once it roots to your rocks you will never be able to get it all out.

replace it with halimeada, or cheatomorpha. they look just as cool and wont grow all over your corals eventually.

Archived