Cultivated Reef

Noob question: Cleaning rocks pre-tank

KittenBritches

KittenBritches

I'm still in the research and planning phase of my reef tank journey, but decided to pop in on a stinky little fish store on my way home from work. They're getting rid of all of their saltwater stuff, as they weren't turning a profit, and they let me steal a bunch of rock, and sold me 40lbs of live sand for 50% off.

The rock had been sitting outside, and it looks like I brought some spiders and other critters home with me. What's the best way to clean them off? Since I don't have a tank set up and it isn't live rock, can I just hose them down outside?

Critteraholic

Yep, you can hose them down. And take a scrub brush to anything that looks funny. Then, as blasterman said, give them a good soak.  With the rock having been sitting outside, you are going to have a lot of dust & dirt along with the critters.  Soaking will help loosen the dust/dirt and drown the critters that are still in there.  If it were me, I'd scrub/swish them everyday and change the water.  When there is no more crud, you're done! 🙂