Innovative Marine Aquariums

Clownfish skin affliction ID

Arys

Hey,

Despite my initial quarantine efforts, I just noticed that my clownfish have some sort of white dust on their scales, that covers most of the body. In this case I don’t believe it is Ich as it is more of a dust than definite white specks. Thinking of ruling out brook & velvet too as the white dust has been progressing for approximately three weeks, and in my understanding, they would have already died if it was either of the two. They’re also eating normally and swimming around fine. I’ll attach pictures in hope that someone knows what they’re suffering from. I do have a QT tank I can use.

F4AEFC93-8D51-4659-8CBC-5AEFBF05C957.jpeg

Above may have some white in her eyes as well.

C9024FCB-5EBF-4E20-8D82-2BC82A8ABA89.jpeg

7 hours ago, DaJMasta said:

Trichodina?  Have they been scratching?

https://humble.fish/trichodina/

They have not been scratching but I noticed today they’re way more covered than usual, which is causing them to not eat as much.

I believe your diagnosis is correct, but would Prazipro be an appropriate medication to treat Trichodina?

I'm certainly no expert, but that link says a 5 minute freshwater dip may do the job if that's actually the problem, and in my experience it's the least expensive and intrusive option.  Just take standard RODI, buffer up to match the tank's pH (I've used a tiny bit of kalkwasser powder before), transfer the fish, then transfer back.  If it doesn't go away after the dip, it was probably something else!

4 hours ago, DaJMasta said:

I'm certainly no expert, but that link says a 5 minute freshwater dip may do the job if that's actually the problem, and in my experience it's the least expensive and intrusive option.  Just take standard RODI, buffer up to match the tank's pH (I've used a tiny bit of kalkwasser powder before), transfer the fish, then transfer back.  If it doesn't go away after the dip, it was probably something else!

Thanks so much for your help, will try it and let you know the results.

Don’t do a 5 minutes fresh water dip. Especially if the fish is acting lethargic. My clown fish is over 10 years old and when he gets any skin diseases, I set up a small 2.5 gallon hospital tank and medicate him with  seachem paragaurd. It’s worked every time. 

On 7/27/2021 at 9:32 AM, Mitch619 said:

Don’t do a 5 minutes fresh water dip. Especially if the fish is acting lethargic. My clown fish is over 10 years old and when he gets any skin diseases, I set up a small 2.5 gallon hospital tank and medicate him with  seachem paragaurd. It’s worked every time. 

During the 5 minute freshwater dip they seemed fine and I noticed white stuff floating in the water. They’re still covered in the white dust days after, so I plan on just medicating in a QT tank. They are still alive after weeks of being covered (oops) but right now it is at its worse and they’ve just now started to refuse food. Still think it’s a minor disease that I just allowed to get this bad.

Yeah start the hospital tank asap and keep some seachem prime handy to reduce the ammonia. I’d also dose Microbacter 7 daily and aim for a 20 percent water change every 3 days. I’ve seen the paraguard work it’s Magic in as little as 5 days. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2021 at 12:37 AM, Arys said:

During the 5 minute freshwater dip they seemed fine and I noticed white stuff floating in the water. They’re still covered in the white dust days after, so I plan on just medicating in a QT tank. They are still alive after weeks of being covered (oops) but right now it is at its worse and they’ve just now started to refuse food. Still think it’s a minor disease that I just allowed to get this bad.

I don't know if this is too late or if it is relevant but my clowns got that from trying to host in mushrooms. Most people said that wasn't the cause but the male passed and the female got better after EM treatment... and removing the mushrooms of course.

20201005_161956.thumb.jpg.691a7946207918364c5c80e51cf15d99.jpg