Cultivated Reef

How to remove dead spots in nano tank?

thenewbyreefer

thenewbyreefer

Hey guys!

I have a 60x45x45 nano tank that i've recently got up and running. It's about 3 months old now and it's amazing! The only thing I'm running into at the moment is a small amount of hair algae and recently red slime (cyano?)

My return pump is set at 80% which is about 1000GPH and my Nero 3 is in the back back of the tank for about 800PGH.

I only want a softie tank and what i've seen on forums I should be aiming for about 800GPH.

HOW do I still have deadspots? Shouldn't the current from the Nero 3 at the bottom sweep around the tank? There's no rock obstructions.

Do you think I should move it and place it in the middle backwall, or is this a case of new tank syndrome?
I feel like two Nero 3 and a return pump is a bit overkill when not having SPS...

• 2 weeks later...
Nano sapiens

60cm x 45cm x 45cm 23.6 in x 17.7 in x 17.7 in = 7394 cubic inches / 231 = 32 US gallons

If I read this correctly, that's 1800 gph total output from both pumps, which should be creating a mini-me tsunami 🙂

Assuming that you have free flow around the rockwork as I do in my system, then I can think of two things that might be happening:

1.  One, or possibly both of the pumps are not outputting the flow that you are expecting (are they cleaned regularly like once every month or two, depending on the amount of internal bio-buildup)?

2.  The individual flows from the pumps are colliding with each other somewhere in the system, which would interrupt the continuous flow around the aquarium.

As Clown79 mentioned, a full tank photo would be most helpful.