Cultivated Reef

DIY reef LED for 18 inch cube

Azharx135

I've been planning to make a DIY aquarium light and had the tc420.net working with the spectrum calculator which was pretty handy.

But now as the website is not available I'm clueless for selection of LEDs.

I'm planning on using the 3w LED chips and a tc421 controller for the project

It will be part of my upcoming setup and it'll be a 18*24*18 inch where the display area will be a perfect 18*18*18 inch.

Hope I'll get the best ideas here, please share if someone has successfully done it already.

mitten_reef
17 minutes ago, Azharx135 said:

I've been planning to make a DIY aquarium light and had the tc420.net working with the spectrum calculator which was pretty handy.

But now as the website is not available I'm clueless for selection of LEDs.

I'm planning on using the 3w LED chips and a tc421 controller for the project

It will be part of my upcoming setup and it'll be a 18*24*18 inch where the display area will be a perfect 18*18*18 inch.

Hope I'll get the best ideas here, please share if someone has successfully done it already.

might be worth jumping in on this other discussion that's fairly recent.  for led selection, i'd just try to follow the ratio of the manufacturer brand you like, use that as the starting point.

Recommended looking into Telegraham. He does a lot of extensive led mods and looking into spectrum of lights. One of his earlier videos he explained each spectrum. I actually followed his guide on an Aliexpress bar and modding the light to add a little UV. Been working pretty well, not sure for my eyes tho lol. 

• 2 weeks later...

Royal blue, cool white and warm white on three channels is all you need. Adding more colors won't make your corals grow better, but will make the build much harder.

In fact, obsessing over spectrum is inversely proportional to reef tank success in my experience.