ReefCleaners.org

New Wrasse from LFS

Gavind3

I got this new wrasse toady for $19.99. This was probably 5 minutes after I put him in the tank. I didn't get a clear answer on which wrasse it was. Anyone have any ideas?

image_55415491.JPG

NoOneLikesADryTang

Looks like a juvenile black leopard wrasse (Macropharyngodon negrosensis). I hope it was eating well at the store, because leopard wrasses can be tough to get used to aquarium life. Also, a lid for your tank is a must. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Looks like a juvenile black leopard wrasse (Macropharyngodon negrosensis). I hope it was eating well at the store, because leopard wrasses can be tough to get used to aquarium life. Also, a lid for your tank is a must. 

He let me feed the tank live brine. There was 4 of them in there. The other 3 were all lying on there side. This one was swimming around. He also ate 3 pieces of the brine. Is there any food in particular that I should get? Anything I should do? Thank you

3 minutes ago, Gavind3 said:

He let me feed the tank live brine. There was 4 of them in there. The other 3 were all lying on there side. This one was swimming around. He also ate 3 pieces of the brine. Is there any food in particular that I should get? Anything I should do? Thank you

how much live rock do you have in the tank? Pods, lots of pods, like you're feeding a Mandarin they will pick at the rock all day long 

other than that i had one that took, mysis, pellets and flake 

• Like 2

I have 45 pounds of live rock. I don’t have a sump to support a large amount of pods. Are they harder to take care of then a corris wrasse. 

NoOneLikesADryTang
21 minutes ago, Gavind3 said:

You may need to feed live brine for a bit, while you try to transition on to frozen brine or mysis. In the future I’d ask him to feed frozen, not live brine. Most fish will eat live food, it’s getting them to transition to frozen/flake/pellets that’s the tough part. 

Just now, Gavind3 said:

I have 45 pounds of live rock. I don’t have a sump to support a large amount of pods. Are they harder to take care of then a corris wrasse. 

They are much more difficult to get eating than a yellow coris wrasse. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

how much live rock do you have in the tank? Pods, lots of pods, like you're feeding a Mandarin they will pick at the rock all day long 

other than that i had one that took, mysis, pellets and flake 

was there any sand in the tank out of interest, the three on the sides comment is a bit of a concern

There was like an inch of sand. When u say pods do you mean the ones in a bottle? And I will pick some live brine up tomorrow and try to feed him. 

11 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

You may need to feed live brine for a bit, while you try to transition on to frozen brine or mysis. In the future I’d ask him to feed frozen, not live brine. Most fish will eat live food, it’s getting them to transition to frozen/flake/pellets that’s the tough part. 

They are much more difficult to get eating than a yellow coris wrasse. 

Are they more picky? Or do they just require higher quality foods that cost more? Pods at my LFS are around 30.00 dollars. 

Pods make up a large part of their diet and they will work the rocks looking for them no matter what else you feed them. It could be coincidence but when i noticed my population of pods was gone i lost my wrasse a week later. It was taking all foods at this point.

Also you might want to pre treat any food with something to battle internal parasites as well as they are prone to those 

I would look into culturing Pods, maybe if you do buy one of those 30.00 bottles attempt to breed one half in "green water" and the other into the DT 

• Like 2

What medication do you recommend to treat internal parasites. I have a lot of coral and an anemone. Also I have cleaned shrimp  and hermit crabs

16 minutes ago, Gavind3 said:

What medication do you recommend to treat internal parasites. I have a lot of coral and an anemone. Also I have cleaned shrimp  and hermit crabs

I assume you're USA? 

12 hours ago, Ratvan said:

The ones i've seen a lot more than you paid 

Very nice, got myself a little deal. I feed the tank today. I am feeding frozen mysis and brine mixed with api general cure and focus. Everyone ate expect for the new black leopard. He took in a piece but spit it out. Should I get different food or do you think I should wait because he is stressed and eventually will eat in a few days?

16 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

You probably need to get him some live food for a little bit, until he associates you with food, and then you can start transitioning to frozen. 

Should I try to add any medication into the live brine? Like metro or garlic? 

NoOneLikesADryTang
2 hours ago, Gavind3 said:

Should I try to add any medication into the live brine? Like metro or garlic? 

Is the fish showing any signs of sickness? If not, I’d just focus on trying to get him to eat. 

14 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Is the fish showing any signs of sickness? If not, I’d just focus on trying to get him to eat. 

No I don’t see any signs. Looks healthy to me besides a tattered fin. I will focus on the live brine then and try and get him to eat ASAP.

21 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

You probably need to get him some live food for a little bit, until he associates you with food, and then you can start transitioning to frozen. 

He actually ate the live brine to my surprise. I am going to continue to feed him live food for the rest of the week.  

• Like 2
Clownfish king
On 7/21/2021 at 3:20 PM, Gavind3 said:

He actually ate the live brine to my surprise. I am going to continue to feed him live food for the rest of the week.  

Nice!