ReefCleaners.org

PLEASE HELP! My Acan coral is all shrunken up and has white curly dots all over it

Clown07

My params are as follows:

nitrate=5ppm

Mg=1280ppm

Ca=410ppm

Alk=8.4ppm

Ph=8.2ppm

first photo is of it shrunken up and the second one is of it puffed up and happy.

D4F14900-7BEC-4CF3-8583-6D4D9E5052FF.jpeg

0870D5D3-A49A-4F30-BBED-CFBB83F3FEA3.jpeg

Can you provide a photo without so much blue? White dots are not visible. Parameters are good. Nitrates could be a tick higher but I wouldn’t stress. I’m guessing the white dots are copepods. They can crawl on corals and cause them to close up or not open. It could be nothings as well. Corals don’t open all the time for unknown reasons and then open back up. 

The last pic is worse, but I don't see any white dots.  It's also normal for LPS to close at night, so the time of day may not be ideal for the comparison.

Your parameters seem ok (though alkalinity is in dKH and pH is the unit and needs no thing else following the number), so how about lighting?  Flow?  Acans probably want medium light and some flow, but not significant enough flow to batter the polyps when extended.  Also worth mentioning that fish perching on, brushing against, or something like a shrimp walking on it will make it retract as seen in the first post without any real ill effect.

Did you dip the coral going into your system?  Do you have better pictures of the dots?  Do they move around?

The dots do not move around they seem to be disappearing tho. Did not dip.I have two clowns and no shrimp or invertebrates. It’s always closed during the day. They are under one Gen3  xr30 radion on the bottom of the tank (I have no way to measure par) there is one jeabo sw8 and just the return pump seems to be heaps of flow .

48 minutes ago, Clown07 said:

The dots do not move around they seem to be disappearing tho. Did not dip.I have two clowns and no shrimp or invertebrates. It’s always closed during the day. They are under one Gen3  xr30 radion on the bottom of the tank (I have no way to measure par) there is one jeabo sw8 and just the return pump seems to be heaps of flow .

Maybe its under too much light if its closed during the day and is opening up at night.

They don't need high light, some prefer low to moderate.

Do you feed it?

Flow isn't really up to just the powerheads, it's about how much is passing by that spot specifically.  More something observational, but you would have been able to tell when the polyps were more fully extended.

If it actually looks like that picture... what other creatures are in the tank?  That sure looks like an acan with bites taken out of it.

I’ve had it for 2 weeks now and it doesn’t quite look like that image I have 2 clowns and no inverts.it’s seem to be looking better and I was able to feed it.

7 hours ago, Clown07 said:

I have tried feeding it but it doesn’t want to it’s also closed up during the night

Being closed up at night is normal. They can be fed at any time of day.

Them bot opening up can be normal behaviour

On 7/18/2021 at 5:43 PM, Clown07 said:

I have no better picture 

they look like this tho

But like I said they seem to be disappearing 

631B6832-0021-4E91-BB98-FCB3812104A2.jpeg

That is a mesintereial filament.  It's basically its "guts" that they are pushing out to digest another coral they feel is too close.  You can try running carbon to clean the water up of any chemical markers that may be causing the corsl to feel threatened, or also may move the avian somewhere else.  It should stop doing it after a while.  

• Like 1