Coral Vue Hydros

Bought used setup, how to clean tank, equipment, Rick and sand?

Ballsdeeporgohome

Ballsdeeporgohome

Hi All,

Boom, setup purchased. So excited to join Club Salty,

So I have picked up every thing used, the tank and equipment all need a really good clean. What is safe to use to get it all shiny again?

Also, the seller gave me his rock and the tank had sand in the bottom of it, including a dead fish. It looks like Marco rock covered in green algea. Whats the move here chaps? is there a way to clean the sand the rock so its good to use? or am I better off just buying new rock and sand?

Cheers

2 hours ago, Ballsdeeporgohome said:

Hi All,

Boom, setup purchased. So excited to join Club Salty,

So I have picked up every thing used, the tank and equipment all need a really good clean. What is safe to use to get it all shiny again?

Also, the seller gave me his rock and the tank had sand in the bottom of it, including a dead fish. It looks like Marco rock covered in green algea. Whats the move here chaps? is there a way to clean the sand the rock so its good to use? or am I better off just buying new rock and sand?

Cheers

The tank and equipment,soak in vinegar and water, then a good rinse.

The sand, if you want to reuse it. A thorough wash in tap water or with the garden hose. You want to get it clean.

I usually add prime to my second final rinse and final rinse with rodi.

As for the rock. Is it dried out or wet rock? 

Hi welcome to NR. I would ditch the old sand. After it is removed from the tank. Then use white vinegar to clean the empty tank and the equipment. You can clean the rock or ditch it.

Oh clown beat me to it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Hi welcome to NR. I would ditch the old sand. After it is removed from the tank. Then use white vinegar to clean the empty tank and the equipment. You can clean the rock or ditch it.

Oh clown beat me to it.

Lol.

Personally, i'd get new sand, wash it and call it a day.

I wouldn't want to use old sand myself.

• Like 1
Ballsdeeporgohome
3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

The tank and equipment,soak in vinegar and water, then a good rinse.

The sand, if you want to reuse it. A thorough wash in tap water or with the garden hose. You want to get it clean.

I usually add prime to my second final rinse and final rinse with rodi.

As for the rock. Is it dried out or wet rock? 

It's been out of water for 2 days, but tbh I want to take my time setting up and making an aquascape. Also, having watched a shit ton of what brs have out, I feel like I'm happy to start with as sterile environment as I can and take it slow 

Ballsdeeporgohome
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Oh clown beat me to it.

Yeh, the concensus seems to be chuck the sand and clean the rock. Think I'm gunna run it through a bleach curing process as brs recommends