Cultivated Reef

Which fish to add?

Bigals-nano-1

Bigals-nano-1

I’m looking to add one more fish to my Fluval 13.5 gal tank which currently has two tank bred Ocellaris clownfish, 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 red legged hermit crabs, 5 nassarius snails, 4 sexy shrimp and a couple of turbo snails. There are also various corals in the tank and I have a short list of either a Tail spot Blennie, Royal Gramma, Bi Colour Blenny or a Yellow Watchman Goby. Which one do you think would be the best to add?

• Like 1
M. Tournesol

You should maybe go for a smaller fish.

It could be a clown goby (if you do not have sps),a neon goby, a dartfish( ex:  Firefish goby) or a small shrimp goby with its shrimp (example: hi fine red banded goby with a candy cane pistol shrimp).

• Like 1
Bigals-nano-1

Thanks for your input. I was thinking the Tailspot blenny or a Royal Gramma at first but I’ve read mixed reviews on them. With it only being a nano tank I know that this fish will probably max out the tank for inhabitants so want to make sure I get the right one. I’ll keep you posted on what I go for. What would be a good coral to add in the area that the cleaner shrimp is in the picture that would add some colour and be ok with the standard light for the time being?

9EB2E13B-14E1-4394-80E2-9060D4C4BB9C.jpeg

• Like 2

I wouldn't go with any more fish since you have the pair of clowns. If the clowns don't keep the corner as their territory (and with a hammer up top, it'd make a great host), the entire tank will be within their territory and they may get extremely aggressive with any other fish inside of their territory as they get bigger.

If your clowns stayed in the corner, the left 1/3 of the tank would be safe, but if they move anywhere, they are probably going to beat down that goby. While clowns are pretty much peaceful with any fish outside of their territory, within their territory adults can be extremely aggressive. The display area of the tank is only 18" wide, so if they move anywhere near the center, the entire tank will be well within their territory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tailspot or goby seems the safest choice. My clowns got very mean when spawning but mostly went after the royal gramma and damsel and other fish that didn't perch. 

• Like 1
Murphs_Reef
10 minutes ago, jservedio said:

I wouldn't go with any more fish since you have the pair of clowns. If the clowns don't keep the corner as their territory (and with a hammer up top, it'd make a great host), the entire tank will be within their territory and they may get extremely aggressive with any other fish inside of their territory as they get bigger.

If your clowns stayed in the corner, the left 1/3 of the tank would be safe, but if they move anywhere, they are probably going to beat down that goby. While clowns are pretty much peaceful with any fish outside of their territory, within their territory adults can be extremely aggressive. The display area of the tank is only 18" wide, so if they move anywhere near the center, the entire tank will be well within their territory.

I'm with you. I had clowns years ago in a 100 litre tank 90cm long. I thought it would be more than enough room... The yellow tail damsel I put in lasted 2 days... 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Murphych said:

I'm with you. I had clowns years ago in a 100 litre tank 90cm long. I thought it would be more than enough room... The yellow tail damsel I put in lasted 2 days... 

Mine killed a YCG, Mandarin, and Sixline Wrasse over the last decade. And not, "oh, a fish mysteriously died, let's blame the clowns" - full on torn fins and clownfish mouth shaped bites on their bodies.

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Tailspot or goby seems the safest choice. My clowns got very mean when spawning but mostly went after the royal gramma and damsel and other fish that didn't perch. 

Mine refused to allow any fish that was smaller than them in their territory and when they were spawning, outright rejected any fish that was smaller than them in a 24" tank. When they were spawning, they even went after fish bigger than themselves if it strayed into their territory too long. And they took their pound of flesh - literally...

clownbite.thumb.jpg.23d3dfe556e0b5a63cf1ef0c6cf00415.jpg

Adult and breeding female clownfish are no joke. A single clownfish that isn't breeding would almost always be fine in an 18" tank with another couple fish forever, but having a male in the tank changes the equation a lot.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Bigals-nano-1 said:

Thanks for your input. I was thinking the Tailspot blenny …

9EB2E13B-14E1-4394-80E2-9060D4C4BB9C.jpeg

Beautiful tank!  Reminds me a bit like mine, all that is missing is the Tailspot Blenny. 😉

Once you experience a TSB, you’ll never go back.  I love my YWG as well, but 2 Clownfish & a TSB is the ultimate trio if you only want 3 fish.

76E27781-ED39-4002-B956-34B12274BC65.thumb.jpeg.a0beac6fb20971122c2ce43d23ea5d55.jpeg
My trio lining up for a photoshoot.

• Like 4
Bigals-nano-1
1 hour ago, Seadragon said:

Beautiful tank!  Reminds me a bit like mine, all that is missing is the Tailspot Blenny. 😉

Once you experience a TSB, you’ll never go back.  I love my YWG as well, but 2 Clownfish & a TSB is the ultimate trio if you only want 3 fish.

76E27781-ED39-4002-B956-34B12274BC65.thumb.jpeg.a0beac6fb20971122c2ce43d23ea5d55.jpeg
My trio lining up for a photoshoot.

Thanks and yes I have done a lot of research and learning of late and I think I am going to try and put a tailspot blenny in the tank next week once my LFS has them ready for sale. 

• Like 1