Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Am I doing this right? Eshopps skimmer in a Nuvo 20

TatorTaco

I've purchased this skimmer to help reduce my nitrates.  It's still breaking in I assume (in the tank for just a few days now).  Questions:

• If I put the skimmer in the 2nd chamber to the left, the skimmer pump is right against a baffle. Is that an issue?  I was a bit concerned this would reduce the flow through the pump.
  • The newer version of this skimmer has a rather weak magnet. Do I just set this skimmer all the way to the bottom of the tank, or should I be using the magnet to keep it at a predetermined level for this tank? I'm struggling to see where "exactly" the water level should be at.  Google says I should be at 8" but I don't know where that is on the skimmer.  
  • Should I just let this run for a couple weeks and then try to figure this all out on my own? 

I was hoping  could find someone that has a similar setup and they could double check my stuff.  I'd be happy to provide pictures if that helps. 

I don't know how much help this will be, but I just grabbed the same skimmer from @BulkReefSupply and I am finding that it's a pretty tight fit for the IM tanks, but it does fit. It seems that the pump is fine where you have it. I put the magnet on and do use it to determine water level because that plays a factor in how much skimmate you are producing and what type. This is something that you kind of just have to play around with and see what works, but feel free to keep trouble shooting here if you need to!

• Like 1
On 7/12/2021 at 5:55 AM, hinnenkm said:

I don't know how much help this will be, but I just grabbed the same skimmer from @BulkReefSupply and I am finding that it's a pretty tight fit for the IM tanks, but it does fit. It seems that the pump is fine where you have it. I put the magnet on and do use it to determine water level because that plays a factor in how much skimmate you are producing and what type. This is something that you kind of just have to play around with and see what works, but feel free to keep trouble shooting here if you need to!

Are you running yours in the 2nd chamber too?  Did you get the newer version with the weaker magnet?  

While it's still breaking in, I have the skimmer resting at the bottom of the tank.  I THINK it's running dry?  I don't see bubbles come to the top very often, but I manage to get about 1/16" of an inch of skimmate each day. 

Any tips you've learned so far?  Looks like we both started using them around the same time then. 

23 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

Are you running yours in the 2nd chamber too?  Did you get the newer version with the weaker magnet?  

While it's still breaking in, I have the skimmer resting at the bottom of the tank.  I THINK it's running dry?  I don't see bubbles come to the top very often, but I manage to get about 1/16" of an inch of skimmate each day. 

Any tips you've learned so far?  Looks like we both started using them around the same time then. 

There's not really an option in the 14 - First chamber is media caddy w/filtration and the 3rd chamber is the return pump - so yes, definitely in the second chamber. Also, I do have the newer version and have not noticed any weakness to the magnet. Actually, I feel like it is quite strong, sorry that yours is not! 

What I would double check is that the plastic peel has been removed from the top and that the black sponge is not pushed up as far as it can go (both of those were simple things I had overlooked)! Mine produces nice skimmate, but it also depends on how dirty your water is. What is your system/bioload like?

We're supposed to remove that plastic sticker on the top of the collection cup?  I noticed that it's covering 4 small holes in the lid but figured it was supposed to be like that?  

Also, because I'm a moron, I didn't realize that I had a freaking ROCK in the back chamber.  I thought the skimmer was at the bottom of the tank but it wasn't.  I felt SOOOOOO stupid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, TatorTaco said:

We're supposed to remove that plastic sticker on the top of the collection cup?  I noticed that it's covering 4 small holes in the lid but figured it was supposed to be like that?  

Also, because I'm a moron, I didn't realize that I had a freaking ROCK in the back chamber.  I thought the skimmer was at the bottom of the tank but it wasn't.  I felt SOOOOOO stupid. 

Bet it's working better now, right?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, hinnenkm said:

Bet it's working better now, right?!

Yeah.  I felt so dumb.  

So...remove the sticker on the skimmer lid and that'll help too?  I understand that it'd allow air into the cup, but it'd also allow the stench out.  I just can't understand why it was manufactured with holes in the lid, but then a sticker is applied.  

Yeah.  I felt so dumb.  

So...remove the sticker on the skimmer lid and that'll help too?  I understand that it'd allow air into the cup, but it'd also allow the stench out.  I just can't understand why it was manufactured with holes in the lid, but then a sticker is applied.  

Eshopps responded directly to my instagram post and said yes, take the sticker off 🙂

On 7/14/2021 at 11:50 AM, hinnenkm said:

Eshopps responded directly to my instagram post and said yes, take the sticker off 🙂

Good.To.Know.  I messaged BRS and they didn't know.  I emailed Eshopps and they never responded. 

Quick question:  why'd you opt for the Nuvo 14 instead of....anything else?  Its never been on my radar until your comment.  It looks like it has the exact same footprint as the Nuvo 20 Peninsula but 6" shorter.  I might have a perfect spot for a Nuvo 14 after all.  I've had the Nuvo 10 and now the Nuvo 20.  I'm looking for something different

Good.To.Know.  I messaged BRS and they didn't know.  I emailed Eshopps and they never responded. 

Quick question:  why'd you opt for the Nuvo 14 instead of....anything else?  Its never been on my radar until your comment.  It looks like it has the exact same footprint as the Nuvo 20 Peninsula but 6" shorter.  I might have a perfect spot for a Nuvo 14 after all.  

I find Instagram to be the most efficient means of getting information quickly - I tagged eshopps in my post and they responded right away. The sticker does need to come off 🙂 I got the 14, but also have the 10 & 30 Ext. I love Innovative Marine tanks and wanted to try the 14 because of it's dimensions - I really like it! I know a couple people that have the tank as well.

I'm too old/uncool for Instagram.  Plus, it bothers me that it's a photography site but you can't freaking zoom in on pictures which makes my eye twitch with frustration. 

Edit:  I see that MD has 3 of the White Nuvo 14 stands left in stock.  I'm REALLY thinking about pulling the trigger on that.  

• Haha 3
6 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

I'm too old/uncool for Instagram.  Plus, it bothers me that it's a photography site but you can't freaking zoom in on pictures which makes my eye twitch with frustration. 

Edit:  I see that MD has 3 of the White Nuvo 14 stands left in stock.  I'm REALLY thinking about pulling the trigger on that.  

Pretty sure you're not too old for it and yes, you can zoom in on pictures 🙂 Just get the tank!

On 7/16/2021 at 3:39 PM, hinnenkm said:

Pretty sure you're not too old for it and yes, you can zoom in on pictures 🙂 Just get the tank!

OMG!  I went to my LFS and they actually had a NEW 14 Peninsula with a Kessil light arm for sale for $250.  I already have an extra AI Prime so he said he'd sell me the 14 for $225 without the light arm.  I was soooooo close to doing it too. 

I'm teetering on purchasing a 36" inch tank to fill a blank wall.  I really want an Nuvo 30 EXT but I can't find one since they're discontinued.   That leaves me with the Nuvo 30L and I'm still stuck with the AIO's baffles or a 40 Breeder, but I'm not a fan of the plastic trim and clear silicone.  Decisions, decisions...

• Like 1
On 7/19/2021 at 7:13 AM, TatorTaco said:

OMG!  I went to my LFS and they actually had a NEW 14 Peninsula with a Kessil light arm for sale for $250.  I already have an extra AI Prime so he said he'd sell me the 14 for $225 without the light arm.  I was soooooo close to doing it too. 

I'm teetering on purchasing a 36" inch tank to fill a blank wall.  I really want an Nuvo 30 EXT but I can't find one since they're discontinued.   That leaves me with the Nuvo 30L and I'm still stuck with the AIO's baffles or a 40 Breeder, but I'm not a fan of the plastic trim and clear silicone.  Decisions, decisions...

Not sure quite what to tell you because I have all of those tanks ..... 😂😬

• Haha 2