ReefCleaners.org

Just one of those days..

Melfy77

I never order stuff online. But this time I did.  First time trying this store. I had a discount but still not cheap. They were all WYSIWYG, one was even labelled as a colony...well one toadstool frag was smaller than a dime and detached from the plug, the mushroom was about 1/8 inch and the green leather toastool "colony" was the same size as the frags my LFS sells for half the price...I was less than happy, actually I was quite angry!! Sent an email to the store with pics. Doubt I'll evet get an answer. Put the bags in the tank and went for a walk with my 10 months old little girl.

Went to get some sushi but forgot my wallet (at least it wasn't that stupid mask for once). Came home, had to glue that stupid frag back on the plug without waking the baby who was sleeping in the baby carrier. Glued my fingers together, my finger to a napkin and my hair (don't ask I'm just as clueless as you are). Put the frags in the tank, washed my hands and made myself a sandwich with carrots and cucumber on the side. Dropped the sandwich on the floor...had some carrots and cucumber slices for lunch...

Really hope your day was better than mine😒

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I hate those days!!! I have had days that start out where you sleep through your alarm and spill coffee all over yourself and you just know... it's going to be one of those days!!!

Where did you buy from?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I hate those days!!! I have had days that start out where you sleep through your alarm and spill coffee all over yourself and you just know... it's going to be one of those days!!!

Where did you buy from?

Toronto corals. It's funny because this is exsctly why I was unsure about ordering online. But looking around so many people seemed happy with their orders I was like why not. It's just frustrating because they make it look so much bigger I even tried to look for the squares on the egg crate (frag rack I guess) to get an idea but I was sooooo wrong lol. The japanese long polyp toastool I've been trying to get one for a really long time...came detached and looked like s*** 😞 so no more online ordering for me. It's annoying becaue I dont have a car, and my closest LFS, even though it's an awesome place and I love them, mainly has LPS and SPS, "fancy" stuff that I would of course manage to kill just by looking at it. But their fish selection is awesome!! Never got ich or anything from them. Bit more pricey but totally worth it.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Lingwendil said:

Days like that i usually still eat the sandwich.

Yeah...there was just a little too much dust and cat hair for my taste😂. My kitchen floor was already super sticky from baby drool, leftover rice crackers and cereal, that sandwhich is not gonna help lol

35 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

Toronto corals. It's funny because this is exsctly why I was unsure about ordering online. But looking around so many people seemed happy with their orders I was like why not. It's just frustrating because they make it look so much bigger I even tried to look for the squares on the egg crate (frag rack I guess) to get an idea but I was sooooo wrong lol. The japanese long polyp toastool I've been trying to get one for a really long time...came detached and looked like s*** 😞 so no more online ordering for me. It's annoying becaue I dont have a car, and my closest LFS, even though it's an awesome place and I love them, mainly has LPS and SPS, "fancy" stuff that I would of course manage to kill just by looking at it. But their fish selection is awesome!! Never got ich or anything from them. Bit more pricey but totally worth 

I never heard of them. They must be fairly new.

Fragbox is one here in Ontario that is highly recommended and have been around for a long time.

Candy corals is another really great place.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, rough eye said:

see what happens when you try to make a sandwich with one hand glued to your hair?

I didn't write it properly. I had some glue in my hair but thankfully my hands didn't get stuck in my hair😂 I really truly suck when it come to glue and frags, no wonder I did so poorly in elementary school when I would have to do crafts🙄

• Haha 2

I know what you mean with the super glue gel.   Personally, I always wear disposable gloves and most of the time I end up throwing away the gloves after my gluing operation.

Online pictures can be so deceiving.  Not to mention, with the added shipping charges, it makes visiting LFS and local hobbyists a bit more desirable.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Seadragon said:

I know what you mean with the super glue gel.   Personally, I always wear disposable gloves and most of the time I end up throwing away the gloves after my gluing operation.

Online pictures can be so deceiving.  Not to mention, with the added shipping charges, it makes visiting LFS and local hobbyists a bit more desirable.

I can only find medium sized gloves but because my hands are so small I've got like no dexterity with gloves on hahaha. Shipping can be so expensive. I check Candy corals and it's 80$! Unless the corals come in a gold chest filled with candies that price is not right lol.

• Haha 1

Well well things got even better. Noticed a tiny bubble algae on the "colony" so took the toadstool out, scrubbed and rinsed the plug under tapwater. Then noticed some really weird fleshy parts...Well of course!! Flatworms!!! Just my luck. So took the other frag as well and threw them in a yogourt container with saltwater. Now my question I don't have flatworm exit on hand (can get some tomorrow), should I treat the whole tank? (I have 2 other leather frags in there). I have a springer damsel in there as well.

Seriously hating myself and that store!!

On the bright aide, had a sandwich today and did NOT drop it!!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Murphych said:

That doesn't look muched rather just the way it's growing on the drag plug maybe.. 

It's the brown "rim" close to the flash I find more worrying. What do you think?

Do a freshwater rodi/distilled dip and see if any flatworms come off because they react to freshwater.

I purchased a frag once, dip a regular coral dip and the flatworm didn't drop but did a dip in rodi and it dropped. 

I don't see any flatworms in the picture and not all flatworms are an issue. 

The receding flesh, could be the leather shrinking from being stressed and irritated. They do that and the more pissed they get, the longer it takes for them to open up. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Do a freshwater rodi/distilled dip and see if any flatworms come off because they react to freshwater.

I purchased a frag once, dip a regular coral dip and the flatworm didn't drop but did a dip in rodi and it dropped. 

I don't see any flatworms in the picture and not all flatworms are an issue. 

The receding flesh, could be the leather shrinking from being stressed and irritated. They do that and the more pissed they get, the longer it takes for them to open up. 

I'll give it a try. There is at least one big flatworm in the plastic bucket and it looks kinda orange/redish. 

• Like 1

Ended up throwing the frag in the garbage. Flesh was starting to peel off and it looked gross to me. Pretty sure the long polyp is also a goner. Basically wasted money for one tiny red mushroom and flatworms...really hoping flatworm exit worked because so help me of I got flatworms in my system for absolutly nothing. Couldn't even save that coral. That place is now on my black list.

58 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

Ended up throwing the frag in the garbage. Flesh was starting to peel off and it looked gross to me. Pretty sure the long polyp is also a goner. Basically wasted money for one tiny red mushroom and flatworms...really hoping flatworm exit worked because so help me of I got flatworms in my system for absolutly nothing. Couldn't even save that coral. That place is now on my black list.

Leather corals wax over and shed skin, this is part of their lives. It happens when stressed, when growing, and to remove detritus/algae.

34 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Leather corals wax over and shed skin, this is part of their lives. It happens when stressed, when growing, and to remove detritus/algae.

I know I have other leathers. This was different. Actual flesh peeling off, even at the base, and a very unpleasant smell. Don't want to nuke my entire tank because of that😕

1 hour ago, Melfy77 said:

Keep in mind that many flat worms are algae eaters and not coral eaters. I get them often as hitchikers on macroalgae but other corals too. 

Next time I would just frag the top of the toadstool off if you think the bottom is suspect.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Keep in mind that many flat worms are algae eaters and not coral eaters. I get them often as hitchikers on macroalgae but other corals too. 

Next time I would just frag the top of the toadstool off if you think the bottom is suspect.

I had the algae eating kind too. They did no harm and eventually vanished.

I would have fragged the coral too before ditching it

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I had the algae eating kind too. They did no harm and eventually vanished.

I would have fragged the coral too before ditching it

Mine were the red ones I'm afraid. You're rightI should have tried and frag the frag haha. I was just such in a pissy mood having a terrible week I was like forget it I have enough to do as it is.  Not getting anything new anytime soon anyway. Waiting for a new tank which clearly is not gonna show up today...should have waited before getting mixing the saltwater (facepalm). How long can I keep that saltwater in the rubbermaid container? A week?

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

Mine were the red ones I'm afraid. You're rightI should have tried and frag the frag haha. I was just such in a pissy mood having a terrible week I was like forget it I have enough to do as it is.  Not getting anything new anytime soon anyway. Waiting for a new tank which clearly is not gonna show up today...should have waited before getting mixing the saltwater (facepalm). How long can I keep that saltwater in the rubbermaid container? A week?

What brand of salt are you using?