Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New Rainbow Bubble Tip looks shriveled

Gavind3

Hi everyone, 

I recently purchased a rainbow bubble tip aneome from a local seller. I placed it in my tank yesterday where I thought flow and light would hit it the best. It has moved and now is near the back of the of my tank almost sandwhiched between the glass and a peice of rock. I never saw what it looked like before it was taken from the sellers tank, it was already bagged when I got to his house. It doesnt seem to be open very much and has a lot less color then most of the rainbow bubble tips in his tank. I did a 9 gallon water change and dosed calicum and reef plus.  Is there anything I should be doing? 

IMG_6113.jpg

IMG_6114.jpg

42 minutes ago, Matteo said:

What are your parameters, lighting, flow, etc. How long has the tank been running?

The tank has been up for a little over 3 years now. I went through phases of not doing as much maintenance but it had consistently good parameters. I have two hang on the back filters ( one is rated for 30, one is rated for 40) and one powerhead (rated for 40). It's a 36 gallon bowfront tank. 

Salinity : 1.026

High Range PH : 8.0

Amoena : 0 

Nitrite  :0

Nitrate : 10

This is all I can test with my API test kit. 

Just wait awhile. Anemones often take some time to adjust themselves to a new environment, and in fact it would be very unlikely to see it fully expanded and ready to go after only a few days in the tank. It will likely wander around a bit before finding a spot that it likes, and even after that it may remain somewhat shrunken for awhile as it adjusts itself to your lighting. Do not attempt to feed it until it stops moving around.

10 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Just wait awhile. Anemones often take some time to adjust themselves to a new environment, and in fact it would be very unlikely to see it fully expanded and ready to go after only a few days in the tank. It will likely wander around a bit before finding a spot that it likes, and even after that it may remain somewhat shrunken for awhile as it adjusts itself to your lighting. Do not attempt to feed it until it stops moving around.

Thank you, I appreciate the advice. I have a Fluval Marine 3.0 light on the tank. Is this enough light to support the nem. 

33 minutes ago, Gavind3 said:

Thank you, I appreciate the advice. I have a Fluval Marine 3.0 light on the tank. Is this enough light to support the nem. 

I'm not familiar with that light, but if it's enough to grow soft corals and LPS it's probably enough to support a bubble nem.

8 minutes ago, billygoat said:

I'm not familiar with that light, but if it's enough to grow soft corals and LPS it's probably enough to support a bubble nem.

Awesome thank you. I have xenia, gsp, and mushrooms in my tank. They all seem to be doing really well. 

1 hour ago, Gavind3 said:

I don't think that's enough light at all for your tank

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Gavind3 said:

Should I look into getting another light?

Yes definitely. Your light is very low power for whats needed.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Matteo said:

Yes definitely. Your light is very low power for whats needed.

When I got my tank 3 years ago this was the reccomened light. I dont think it's " very low", I have an app connected to the light and it's only set at 35 percent white light and 85 percent blue light. 

37 minutes ago, Gavind3 said:

When I got my tank 3 years ago this was the reccomened light. I dont think it's " very low", I have an app connected to the light and it's only set at 35 percent white light and 85 percent blue 

Its only 32 watts over 36g tank and its dimmed so probably less. Yes way under powered and your nem will suffer and perish if you don't up the lighting. 

As for three years ago being the "recommended" light doesn't really mean it was the right recommendation either to be honest.

Your light is a budget light and isn't adequate for your tank size with a bta in there. 

How are your other corals doing? 

Just for an idea most people with your tank size have a minimum of 3watts per gallon of quality LED and your at less than 1 watt a gallon and with a higher dimension tank at that too. 

I'd either take the nem back or get new lighting. 

5 hours ago, Matteo said:

Its only 32 watts over 36g tank and its dimmed so probably less. Yes way under powered and your nem will suffer and perish if you don't up the lighting. 

As for three years ago being the "recommended" light doesn't really mean it was the right recommendation either to be honest.

Your light is a budget light and isn't adequate for your tank size with a bta in there. 

How are your other corals doing? 

Just for an idea most people with your tank size have a minimum of 3watts per gallon of quality LED and your at less than 1 watt a gallon and with a higher dimension tank at that too. 

I'd either take the nem back or get new lighting. 

Other corals are doing really good 

• 3 weeks later...