SaltCritters.com

Gena's IM Fusion 10 Softy Tank

gena

3 hours ago, gena said:

It might be a type of turf algae but it's not wiry.  It's like a velvety soft plush.  I did know but had forgotten about Reef Cleaners algae ID.  Thanks for the reminder.  I was going through them and was reminded of a few I have battled in the past.  Like cotton candy algae.  Totally forgot about that one.  Pretty but NOT something I want to have to deal with again.  Also bubble algae is the WORST!  I'll take my velvety soft plush algae any day over bubble algae.

Oh, when I used to be able to keep emeralds I didn’t even worry about bubble algae because it’s so easily eradicated by the emeralds that Reef Cleaners sells. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, banasophia said:

Oh, when I used to be able to keep emeralds I didn’t even worry about bubble algae because it’s so easily eradicated by the emeralds that Reef Cleaners sells. 

I've never had luck with emeralds.  But I don't think I ever tried Reef Cleaner's emeralds.  I will remember that for the future!!!!

Heading out to the LFS soon to get my snip of pink finger leather.  I talked to them on the phone and they said come on in and they'll hook me up!!!!  Yay :happydance:

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, seabass said:

I thought you could post IG video here too. :unsure:

Actually you can!  Mine was a story though and I couldn't transfer it here.  Next time I'll just have to make a video post and then I can transfer that here.

I'm back from the LFS!!!!!!  It seemed cleaner today.  Maybe they scraped glass for the weekend traffic.  And more lights were on in tanks.  And the scary mutant 100 year old clownfish was no longer in one of the tanks.  I must've saw him on his last day :(.

I came home with a few things!  I got my finger leather cutting.  And I bought some mini pink cloves, a green mushroom, and an orangey/pinky yuma.  Of course no one is open very nicely.  I'll get pics when I can.  But all were dipped and then placed in the tank.

I did grab a couple of photos of one of the tanks.  The biggest tank is ginormous and you can walk all the way around it.  It's like something you'd find at an aquarium/museum.  It's filled with this encrusting pink anthelia like coral and gsp, gorgonians and a bunch of other soft corals.  Basically everything I love.  In this first photo is mama clownfish.  Daddy clownfish is solid black and was tending to their clutch of eggs in that round bare spot above the gsp.  When I took out my camera he high-tailed it out of there, unfortunately LOL.  The second photo shows the green mushrooms, which is the type I brought home.

IMG_8585.thumb.JPG.924c7f85c4d21176e1331ad3282d8331.JPG

IMG_8584.thumb.JPG.cc96eb0a32961d980cb5b59f33d11cff.JPG

So if you know me well enough, you know from these pictures why this is my new favorite LFS :lol:.

• Like 6
On 9/3/2021 at 1:49 PM, jack1978 said:

Not sure ..... I've had it for years!  Blue flesh with red polyps .... super fuzzy and apparently a slow grower.  -I think he needs some boost in light.  

On 9/3/2021 at 1:59 PM, gena said:

I need more types of leathers like that.  Well, I want.  I don't need.  

Here's a crappy pic without the filters ....... you can see the blue flesh where the turbo snail brushed up against it and the polyps closed.  

20210906_134420.jpg

• Like 1
16 hours ago, jack1978 said:

Here's a crappy pic without the filters ....... you can see the blue flesh where the turbo snail brushed up against it and the polyps closed.  

20210906_134420.jpg

Nice!  I'll let you know when I upgrade :lol: 

2 hours ago, mipster said:

Can't wait to see all the goodies in the tank!

I got a few pictures yesterday.  I think I'm going to try to get better ones today.  I think everything is open even more today...although it's still early and lights aren't at 100% yet.  Stay tuned 🙂 .  

• Like 1

I'm glad I waited to see how things looked today!  Everything is super settled in now.  Here's the new additions:

New mini pink/brown cloves (just to the left of the devil's hand? leather).  

1742058031_ACS_40862.thumb.JPG.649794800bce5aad144b7c67aaa1c0e5.JPG

My 1.5" finger leather coral cutting (stuffed in a hole) underneath droopy leather.

1009217132_ACS_40852.thumb.JPG.a077674488d254fdd8ff7b7ad61fdc4a.JPG

Large green striped mushroom

1444048871_ACS_40842.thumb.JPG.0cb3448d05fc33129820d9970e6890c4.JPG

Orange yuma

1320043425_ACS_40832.thumb.JPG.0ed4c35846f5f63e7855d0b5092d020d.JPG

A bunch o'leathers

1999595923_ACS_40812.thumb.JPG.88bb698292aec7726403d2e7ec81dbef.JPG

The tank

2095461673_ACS_40822.thumb.JPG.5b127d59fca524c22fb68c88f48685b9.JPG

I now have 7 leather corals in this little 10g cube LOL.  I'm gonna be in trouble before too long hahaha.  I guess I'll just have to do lots of fragging.  Or upgrade next year.

• Like 15
On 9/2/2021 at 8:17 PM, mipster said:

Lol I have that one too 😛  Thang, the owner really knows how to make a sale with me whenever I go visit. It's different than the one at fragbox. 

Do you have any pictures/video of the one that looks like the TSA leather?  That's a lot of money for a leather coral, but at the end of the day, if I love it, I won't remember that I got raked over the coals on pricing.

5 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

Do you have any pictures/video of the one that looks like the TSA leather?  That's a lot of money for a leather coral, but at the end of the day, if I love it, I won't remember that I got raked over the coals on pricing.

Feeling dumb here for asking but what's TSA hahaha

Edit : after some very intense research I'm gonna go for top shelf aquatics? 😁

On 9/2/2021 at 3:21 PM, mipster said:

It's not on the website yet but I text Tia - the store manager about them. I'll find out and let ya know. 

It's a blue nepthea, and I'm getting a mini colony!! Got a pretty big order coming on Friday (including the LTA)!! I feel like a kid in a Candy store 😂

• Like 2
14 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Did I hear upgrade????  Hahahah

yeah!  I may not have a choice LOL.

14 hours ago, jack1978 said:

Looks great, G!

Thanks!!!!

Bad news....my little 1.5" cutting of finger leather has been displaced by a fricken SNAIL!!!!!  I saw him around it and then it was gone!!!!!  It popped right out and floated somewhere and I can't find it.  So......I'll have to try again.  Maybe a larger piece and I'll actually attach it to something first and then stick it on the rock. 

Darn snails!!!!!  Actually I really like the snails that came with the tank...they are doing a great job in there.

• Sad 1
19 hours ago, gena said:

I guess I'll just have to do lots of fragging.  Or upgrade next year.

If you're thinking about upgrading... you've already upgraded in your mind. Actually purchasing a new tank is a foregone conclusion. 😂

Everything looks great though! It's great to see you enjoying the hobby so much after coming back from such a long break. 😁

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, billygoat said:

If you're thinking about upgrading... you've already upgraded in your mind. Actually purchasing a new tank is a foregone conclusion. 😂

Everything looks great though! It's great to see you enjoying the hobby so much after coming back from such a long break. 😁

I'm either gonna frag the hell out of this tank or upgrade next year :lol:.  I'll only upgrade to the drop-off style though (20g).  At least right now that's what I really want!  Who knows next year :lol:.

And thank you!!!! :flower: 

I'm thinking about ordering an inkbird heater controller.  I've never had one before.  Always had the Reefkeeper lite or the Apex (cheapest model) which I could control the heat with.  Apparently they don't make those anymore.  Another regret selling mine.

The entry level Apex controller is $500????  Good grief!!!!  I won't be getting one of those.  But this Inkbird is $60.  That is doable.  

Not much else going on here.  Just watching stuff grow :happydance:.  Might take a drive to the LFS today just to look.  Maybe buy a replacement for the lost finger leather coral.  I don't think I'll replace it with another finger leather.  I'm going to look for something different.

I took this picture yesterday.  I like this view from the side.

ACS_4095.thumb.JPG.6dae2b8342769d2627877394f6c9b799.JPG

• Like 8

Funny how I read this the other day and yesterday my Apex died.  It's Apex classic with EB8 and DOS dosing pumps.  Instead of replacing it, I got the Inkbird 308S on Amazon since there's a 20% coupon.  I find Apex completely useless now when all our gadgets come with their own controllers.  The temperature probe was the only thing Apex provided.  I also bought a "smart" Alexa enabled power strip so I can set start / stop time on my fuge light.  I literally replaced my $1000 Apex (minus DOS) with $50.  

I am also pissed that the $300 DOS dosing pump is useless now because it only works with Apex.  I will never invest in any Neptune (BRS) product again because of how restricted the integration is.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
23 hours ago, gena said:

I'm thinking about ordering an inkbird heater controller.  I've never had one before.  Always had the Reefkeeper lite or the Apex (cheapest model) which I could control the heat with.  Apparently they don't make those anymore.  Another regret selling mine.

The entry level Apex controller is $500????  Good grief!!!!  I won't be getting one of those.  But this Inkbird is $60.  That is doable.  

Not much else going on here.  Just watching stuff grow :happydance:.  Might take a drive to the LFS today just to look.  Maybe buy a replacement for the lost finger leather coral.  I don't think I'll replace it with another finger leather.  I'm going to look for something different.

I took this picture yesterday.  I like this view from the side.

ACS_4095.thumb.JPG.6dae2b8342769d2627877394f6c9b799.JPG

Do I detect some "blue" in that lighting? 

On 9/13/2021 at 8:22 AM, ninjamyst said:

Funny how I read this the other day and yesterday my Apex died.  It's Apex classic with EB8 and DOS dosing pumps.  Instead of replacing it, I got the Inkbird 308S on Amazon since there's a 20% coupon.  I find Apex completely useless now when all our gadgets come with their own controllers.  The temperature probe was the only thing Apex provided.  I also bought a "smart" Alexa enabled power strip so I can set start / stop time on my fuge light.  I literally replaced my $1000 Apex (minus DOS) with $50.  

I am also pissed that the $300 DOS dosing pump is useless now because it only works with Apex.  I will never invest in any Neptune (BRS) product again because of how restricted the integration is.

Weird!  Hope I didn't jinx you LOL.  

I too ordered the Inkbird.  Ended up ordering it on Sunday.  I should check tracking.  Might be arriving today even.  

I was shocked when I saw the pricing now on the Apex :wacko:.  I was only looking because in the past I used it to control my heater and I wanted something like that again.  Thank goodness there is a cheaper option out there.  That stinks about the dosing pump 😠 .  

• Like 2
On 9/13/2021 at 8:32 AM, jack1978 said:

Do I detect some "blue" in that lighting? 

Yup!  I do run some blue :lol:.  I just don't blow out my tank with a lot of blue.  Never cared for that look.  Although it looks amazing with closeup coral photos.  I just don't want my entire room to look blue :lol:.

In tank news.....

I didn't end up going to the LFS on Sunday because I ordered the Inkbird on Sunday and didn't want to spend anymore on the tank that day :lol:.  What I ended up doing is moving my big large green striped mushroom to the spot that the finger leather was in.  It's not opening up as large as it was when on the sand.  I hope it adjusts to the new position.

I've always loved the look of a colony of mushrooms and I've never really achieved that look in any of my tanks.  I'm hoping this is the moment for that.  We'll see fingerscrossed.

So as of this moment, I don't really need to add anymore coral.  All positions have been filled.  However.....my new LFS has an amazing colony of green and purple mushrooms with bubbles that I'm waiting on to drop a baby.  When it does, I'm going to bring one home.  So I'll periodically be checking in on that.  They have my name and number for when that happens, but I still want to check in occasionally.  It's a good excuse to just go "looking".

• Like 8

Did anyone else see the new Innovative Marine fusion pro 2 model updates? Got the email yesterday.  I don't need the water level riser thingy but I do like the fact that they have the new emergency overflow feature.  I never really thought about my overflow getting clogged and water level rising.  Now I do LOL.  I do have a couple of snails that like to hang out there sometimes and set off my ATO.  Took a second for me to figure out why my water level is higher sometimes than others...darn snails LOL.

I wonder if the concept tanks will have this new feature and I wonder if the concept tanks will be available again.  I just wonder :lol:.

39 minutes ago, gena said:

Did anyone else see the new Innovative Marine fusion pro 2 model updates? Got the email yesterday.  I don't need the water level riser thingy but I do like the fact that they have the new emergency overflow feature.  I never really thought about my overflow getting clogged and water level rising.  Now I do LOL.  I do have a couple of snails that like to hang out there sometimes and set off my ATO.  Took a second for me to figure out why my water level is higher sometimes than others...darn snails LOL.

I wonder if the concept tanks will have this new feature and I wonder if the concept tanks will be available again.  I just wonder :lol:.

That explains why all their models are 15% off right now.

• Like 1