SaltCritters.com

Gena's IM Fusion 10 Softy Tank

gena

1 hour ago, gena said:

@jack1978  I know it's a terrible photo...but look at the red 😍.

IMG_9324.thumb.JPG.a3c7a428098824f0dae292534a3c36b3.JPG

Yeah, it was already showing red before I shipped it ...... earlier than most of my other ones.  Should be a  pretty one after puberty! 

• Like 1

Took some photos today.  Growth has been pretty phenomenal.  Probably because I stocked my tank with weeds :wub: .

First ever top-down with this tank......

IMG_9461.thumb.JPG.91f37b0644c5919aa47a6797dd83bd12.JPG

ACS_4429.thumb.JPG.322d93848dbe1ef50b5606527a7d3918.JPG

ACS_4430.thumb.JPG.d812c2e8cb8bb12fab0c67e197f62688.JPG

• Like 12
On 9/29/2021 at 9:25 AM, gena said:

Part of the reason I haven't been around much is I've been busy selling off a bunch of house plants.  Now that I'm back in the reefing game, I feel like I have too many plants to take care of.  Plus I'm kind of tired of the jungle LOL.

That's kind of funny... As I'm ditching reefing for more house plants. 🤭

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
On 10/3/2021 at 7:14 PM, kimberbee said:

That's kind of funny... As I'm ditching reefing for more house plants. 🤭

I've sold a bunch!  Plants made up for my lack of a reef tank these last 3 years :). 

• Like 1

This can't be a uniquely me situation?  Is it a uniquely me situation?  Snails!!!!!!  My snails go to the overflow area, of course they can't get in, but they block the overflow and set off my ATO system.  Then the salinity gets all out of wack.  

Any solutions???? I totally would get rid of the darn snails but they do such a great job!!!!

I  just had to run into the living room because I heard the ATO keep going off and there's no way that it's from evaporation...it's freaking cold in the house this morning, only 68 degrees.  Sure enough there's a freakin snail blocking it LOL.

Any suggestions?  I turned the ATO off for now.  I'll let the water evaporate and then probably have to refill with saltwater instead of freshwater to get my salinity back to where it's supposed to be.

#reeferproblems

😄 

• Wow 1
28 minutes ago, gena said:

Any solutions???? I totally would get rid of the darn snails but they do such a great job!

Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily get rid of your snails.  Although smaller snails would block less flow.  Maybe a different type of snail, like cerith snails. :unsure:

IDK, but I'd try to make sure that area is especially clean, so it's of less interest to your snails and the flow is optimized.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, seabass said:

Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily get rid of your snails.  Although smaller snails would block less flow.  Maybe a different type of snail, like cerith snails. :unsure:

IDK, but I'd try to make sure that area is especially clean, so it's of less interest to your snails and the flow is optimized.

Yeah...I do try to keep it very clean.  Guess I'll run a toothbrush through the teeth more often!  These snails really are great!  They do an amazing job.  Better than any other snails I've had before.  

• Like 2
5 hours ago, PeterU said:

Would adding an InTanks surface skimmer attachment help?

https://intankaquatics.com/intank-all-in-one-aquarium-surface-skimmer/

That's cool!  I'm thinking it wouldn't make a difference because they could still block that flow.  I think the only solution is to remove them and get smaller snails that won't block the flow.  But I really don't want to do that LOL.  I haven't had any issue with surface scum in this tank but I'm going to keep that gadget in mind in case I do!  Thanks for the link!

Here's my two troublemakers :wub: 

762342640_ACS_45212.thumb.JPG.b8c3e9d5aca26970fa720302ed4d1def.JPG

• Like 2
Critteraholic

Awwww,,,I love snails!  Now, please keep in mind that I am only a year into reefing and have no filtration on my picos. So this just might be a load of garbage. 😆  Could you DIY a "cage" with the plastic light diffuser stuff? Just like an inch wide (2 squares-ish?) and big enough to cover the overflow?  That way they can sit on the plastic if they want but the water should still be able to flow around them. ??? 😊

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gena said:

That's cool!  I'm thinking it wouldn't make a difference because they could still block that flow.  I think the only solution is to remove them and get smaller snails that won't block the flow.  But I really don't want to do that LOL.  I haven't had any issue with surface scum in this tank but I'm going to keep that gadget in mind in case I do!  Thanks for the link!

Here's my two troublemakers :wub: 

762342640_ACS_45212.thumb.JPG.b8c3e9d5aca26970fa720302ed4d1def.JPG

When I had my cube going, I'd wake up periodically with a giant puddle on the floor.  Took me weeks to figure it out.  Eventually caught my turbo parking himself on the return nozzle late one night.  Picture your finger on a garden hose.  The wall was soaked and it puddled up on the floor.  Aimed them down more (instead of up for surface agitation) and that took care of most the spray-out.  Had a couple weeks of panic though, lol.

Tank looks pretty!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
On 10/10/2021 at 6:28 PM, Critteraholic said:

Awwww,,,I love snails!  Now, please keep in mind that I am only a year into reefing and have no filtration on my picos. So this just might be a load of garbage. 😆  Could you DIY a "cage" with the plastic light diffuser stuff? Just like an inch wide (2 squares-ish?) and big enough to cover the overflow?  That way they can sit on the plastic if they want but the water should still be able to flow around them. ??? 😊

I'm sure my snails would find a way to cause trouble no matter what I do LOL.  Theoretically I think that would work since the egg-crate has such large holes.  But unfortunately I don't have the desire to sit and create something like that.  Maybe one day!!!!  it's a great suggestion!!!!  Might be useful for times I'm out of town.  I've just resigned myself to turning off the ATO periodically when I notice the level is high...that's how I know they've been causing trouble LOL.  

• Haha 1
On 10/10/2021 at 7:16 PM, jack1978 said:

When I had my cube going, I'd wake up periodically with a giant puddle on the floor.  Took me weeks to figure it out.  Eventually caught my turbo parking himself on the return nozzle late one night.  Picture your finger on a garden hose.  The wall was soaked and it puddled up on the floor.  Aimed them down more (instead of up for surface agitation) and that took care of most the spray-out.  Had a couple weeks of panic though, lol.

Tank looks pretty!

LMAO!  It took me a while as well to figure out why my water level was rising.  Darn snails LOL.  If a mystery is going on with the tank....mostly likely it SNAILS :lol: .

Thanks!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had the same problem with a larger trochus snail.  I ended up plugging my ato into a smart outlet and programming it to only be on a handful of times a day for a few minutes at a time.  Doesn't completely remove the risk but didn't have an issue after that.

• Like 2

"Growth has been pretty phenomenal.  Probably because I stocked my tank with weeds" This is great, I'm working on setting up a water box 10 gallon and am planning on softie's. I love them and lower maintenance is always good. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2021 at 8:36 AM, gena said:

This can't be a uniquely me situation?  Is it a uniquely me situation?  Snails!!!!!!  My snails go to the overflow area, of course they can't get in, but they block the overflow and set off my ATO system.  Then the salinity gets all out of wack.  

Any solutions???? I totally would get rid of the darn snails but they do such a great job!!!!

I  just had to run into the living room because I heard the ATO keep going off and there's no way that it's from evaporation...it's freaking cold in the house this morning, only 68 degrees.  Sure enough there's a freakin snail blocking it LOL.

Any suggestions?  I turned the ATO off for now.  I'll let the water evaporate and then probably have to refill with saltwater instead of freshwater to get my salinity back to where it's supposed to be.

#reeferproblems

😄 

I saw that IM Sells this for theses tanks https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/fishguard-aio-overflow-protector-desktop-innovative-marine/ maybe that will help with the snail problem?

• Like 1
On 10/13/2021 at 6:48 AM, skibum513 said:

"Growth has been pretty phenomenal.  Probably because I stocked my tank with weeds" This is great, I'm working on setting up a water box 10 gallon and am planning on softie's. I love them and lower maintenance is always good. 

Nice!  Looking forward to seeing your softy tank!

On 10/13/2021 at 4:26 AM, skippylou said:

I had the same problem with a larger trochus snail.  I ended up plugging my ato into a smart outlet and programming it to only be on a handful of times a day for a few minutes at a time.  Doesn't completely remove the risk but didn't have an issue after that.

That is sort of what I'm doing, except I'm the timer LOL.  I just pull the plug on the ATO now when I see it's filled too high.  Since I'm home all day it isn't a problem but vacations will be a problem.  At that point I'll probably just put it on a timer like you are doing :).

On 10/13/2021 at 9:51 AM, PeterU said:

18 hours ago, reefer_evo5 said:

I saw that IM Sells this for theses tanks https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/fishguard-aio-overflow-protector-desktop-innovative-marine/ maybe that will help with the snail problem?

Since it's a larger surface area that may work too.  It's cheap enough to give it a try!

On 10/13/2021 at 2:12 PM, Orangutran said:

For real? 

I have been trying to clear up my free flickr hosting account for nothing? 

Yeah!  Only thing we can't post here is a video.  But that's perfectly fine :).

No new updates on the tank.  I haven't added anything new.  It's just chugging along.  I'm enjoying the heck out of it.  Still doing a weekly water-change.  So easy peasy!

• Like 7
On 10/26/2021 at 10:12 AM, gena said:

Yeah!  Only thing we can't post here is a video.  But that's perfectly fine :).

If you post the video to Instagram and then add the link here, it will imbed the video which can then be played here.

• Like 2