Coral Vue Hydros

Help identifying live rock hitchhikers

steveschafon

steveschafon

Hi everyone!

I've purchased wet live rock from my LPS around 1 week ago, I've also purchased the water from the same store.

I've put the rock and the water into a 15G new tank, this is my quarantine tank.

It hosted my 2 paired clownfish but unfortunately the male died (he was not doing well from when I got him) when I put him there.

Today after a week I've noticed some new life on the rock and was wondering what is it and if I should remove it.

Adding some pictures.

Thanks!

IMG_2078.jpeg

IMG_2079.jpeg

IMG_2086.jpeg

IMG_2085.jpeg

IMG_2084.jpeg

IMG_2083.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi! 😁

The pale anemones without blunt white tips on their arms are Aiptasia. Destroy them by injecting them with lemon juice or smothering them with a product like Joe's Juice or Aiptasia-X.

The reddish one looks like a Corynactis anemone. It is pretty and should not present a problem.

The bulbous white thing is a sponge. Harmless, just leave it be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The slightly brownish ones on the bottom of the rock with blunt ball like ends are ball anenones. Can ocasionaly become pests but they dont reproduce as fast as aiptasia and sometimes disapear on there own if you dont overfeed they are usualy fine. I have a few pop up occasionally I think they are rather neat. They are non photosynthetic and more closely related to mushroom corals than true anemones. Usualy appear in dark places. Some flouress slightly under blues.

The clear one with pointy arms 3rd pic down is an aiptasia...kill it.

The white thing is a sponge. It's fine they usualy come and go on there own. Some of them like the flat encrusting types can become invasive if so they can be scraped off.

Oops Billygoat alredy replied didnt even see that my phone is being anoying again. Probly the bad weather.

Pinapple sponge, aiptasia, and the redish/pink looks to be a ball/strawberry anemone.

For the aiptasia, aiptasia x works very well, just follow the instructions.

steveschafon

Thanks everyone!

Since this is my quarantine tank I'm not really worried about the aiptasia, but I've added a cleaning shrimp yesterday that will probably solve this problem for me.

I hope that he won't hurt the a ball/strawberry anemone because I really like anemones, and if it's indeed the strawberry anemone it's beautiful :)

Thanks again everyone 

2 hours ago, steveschafon said:

Thanks everyone!

Since this is my quarantine tank I'm not really worried about the aiptasia, but I've added a cleaning shrimp yesterday that will probably solve this problem for me.

I hope that he won't hurt the a ball/strawberry anemone because I really like anemones, and if it's indeed the strawberry anemone it's beautiful 🙂

Thanks again everyone 

Is it a peppermint shrimp? They are the only ones that eat aiptasia, only small ones and its not guaranteed.

They may go after the anemone, they have gone after corals in many ppl's tanks. 

• Like 2