Top Shelf Aquatics

Looking for an ATO for 20 Gallon Long Aqueon

BrianPoni

Hello all, does anybody have any good ideas for an ATO for an Aqueon 20G Long? The top rim makes it difficult for the average ato. The only one I see on the market that seems to fit would be the XP Aqua sumpless system, but I cannot find any Aqueon tanks running it to see if it would be successful. With the only filtration being 2 Fluval 50’s, I like keeping my water level high to keep noise pollution at a minimum.

This is my frag tank that houses a 6 year old clown pair and a few different frag racks filled with mostly Zoas and a few other types of easier corals. I’ll add pictures tomorrow.

Current equipment.

2 24” XHO reefbrite blues (75%)

1 24” XHO reefbrite 50/50, not current in use but hanging between the blues.

2 Fluval 50’s

1 with a carbon bag and floss

1 filled with bio balls, no rock in the display

Flow

1k Icecap Gyre

Jaboe doser dropping in 2 part.

This tank has been up for about 18 months and has been very successful. I’ve never run an ATO on it as I’ve never found one that worked or works well enough to my liking.

Any fresh ideas or reviews on the XP Aqua would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

mitten_reef
12 hours ago, BrianPoni said:

Hello all, does anybody have any good ideas for an ATO for an Aqueon 20G Long? The top rim makes it difficult for the average ato. The only one I see on the market that seems to fit would be the XP Aqua sumpless system, but I cannot find any Aqueon tanks running it to see if it would be successful. With the only filtration being 2 Fluval 50’s, I like keeping my water level high to keep noise pollution at a minimum.

This is my frag tank that houses a 6 year old clown pair and a few different frag racks filled with mostly Zoas and a few other types of easier corals. I’ll add pictures tomorrow.

Current equipment.

2 24” XHO reefbrite blues (75%)

1 24” XHO reefbrite 50/50, not current in use but hanging between the blues.

2 Fluval 50’s

1 with a carbon bag and floss

1 filled with bio balls, no rock in the display

Flow

1k Icecap Gyre

Jaboe doser dropping in 2 part.

This tank has been up for about 18 months and has been very successful. I’ve never run an ATO on it as I’ve never found one that worked or works well enough to my liking.

Any fresh ideas or reviews on the XP Aqua would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I have the XPAqua duetto and I like it a lot.  The "sumpless" is just to make the level changes contained within that false overflow box (thus less fluctuation in volume/salinity).  so i don't see why it should deter you from getting one.  If I were to set up an opentop tank like yours (20L or 40B or similar), I'd def get one of those personally.

One caveat is they recommend not to have too much direct exposure to light, as the sensor is optical - so that might be something to look into in your case

• Like 1
7 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I am using an Auto Aqua smart ATO micro on my 20L and it has worked flawlessly for at least a couple years. I have no experience with any other ATO so I can not compare it to others. 

I own a system like this already. Only way it works is to drop my water level by a few inches which is what I’d like to avoid. System is small enough I don’t want to take out 2 gallons,  and add in all the other issues having my fluval’s return having to drop and splash everywhere.

7 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I have the XPAqua duetto and I like it a lot.  The "sumpless" is just to make the level changes contained within that false overflow box (thus less fluctuation in volume/salinity).  so i don't see why it should deter you from getting one.  If I were to set up an opentop tank like yours (20L or 40B or similar), I'd def get one of those personally.

One caveat is they recommend not to have too much direct exposure to light, as the sensor is optical - so that might be something to look into in your case

The sensor looks small enough that it might tuck under nicely on the rim. Might have to find one in person and give it a look. Thank you for the input!

7 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I am using an Auto Aqua smart ATO micro on my 20L and it has worked flawlessly for at least a couple years. I have no experience with any other ATO so I can not compare it to others. 

Thank you for the reply, I missed thanking you in my other response. I’m sorry. 

• Like 1
mitten_reef
14 hours ago, BrianPoni said:

The sensor looks small enough that it might tuck under nicely on the rim. Might have to find one in person and give it a look. Thank you for the input!

Thank you for the reply, I missed thanking you in my other response. I’m sorry. 

granted, you've probably been doing manual top off all along in this tank, so salinity fluctuation probably hasn't been your biggest worries.  ATO is mostly for automated peace of mind for me, but the stability it affords sure is nice to have.  So, I'd still recommend purchasing the "sumpless" kit, vs standalone duetto in this scenario, as it'd take less evaporation change to trigger the top-off pump.  imagine the amount of water level changes for the entire surface area of 20L vs the surface area of the inside of the overflow box (of about 2x5"?)....  

• Thanks 1

I got this old school device, it's as ugly as the bottle and placement but does the job on our 10g Aqueon. I had to notch the inside of the rim, I left the outside in tact. I also have a couple 20 longs. I have not used it on these yet. I know it would fit, it's just a matter of how much evaporation/water replacement/week. visitors like talking about this old school method.

ATO.thumb.jpg.9944338761fc935db64e153b393f3ddd.jpg51KPC-td-GL._AC_SX425_.jpg.d9adddc9888a08d383811413c641a77d.jpg

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Spicy Reef said:

I got this old school device, it's as ugly as the bottle and placement but does the job on our 10g Aqueon. I had to notch the inside of the rim, I left the outside in tact. I also have a couple 20 longs. I have not used it on these yet. I know it would fit, it's just a matter of how much evaporation/water replacement/week. visitors like talking about this old school method.

ATO.thumb.jpg.9944338761fc935db64e153b393f3ddd.jpg51KPC-td-GL._AC_SX425_.jpg.d9adddc9888a08d383811413c641a77d.jpg

Oh damn, I didn’t think about cutting a little notch out. I’m all about convenience on this tank more so looks. I’ve seen homemade versions of that piece years ago but that looks a bit more solid. Thank you for the pics!!! Really appreciated!!!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

granted, you've probably been doing manual top off all along in this tank, so salinity fluctuation probably hasn't been your biggest worries.  ATO is mostly for automated peace of mind for me, but the stability it affords sure is nice to have.  So, I'd still recommend purchasing the "sumpless" kit, vs standalone duetto in this scenario, as it'd take less evaporation change to trigger the top-off pump.  imagine the amount of water level changes for the entire surface area of 20L vs the surface area of the inside of the overflow box (of about 2x5"?)....  

You’re correct about me manually topping this off. Now that I have the doser going and pods are becoming very plentiful I was going to grab my buddies par meter and dial in my lights to support some sps and take another crack at it. That branching monti has been doing well and growing, so why not try a bonsai and some other less expensive acros. Thank you again for the input, I think I’m gonna grab that sumpless and see how she goes. If it doesn’t work out it’ll be added to the pile of expensive equipment I don’t use.

• Like 1

My other tank. I’ll probably be one more active in here now and do a full system rundown for any who are interested. This was supposed to be sps but I just wasn’t good enough to keep them alive with my budget and schedule. Turned this into a symbiotic/anemone tank. Goby One Kenobi and his pistol shrimp friend are hiding somewhere in there too. Going to try and add anemone shrimp and maybe a few cleaners in there next.

F25DDD4E-D5BB-4E68-ADBF-674EF63BC8C3.jpeg

• Like 2