inTank Media Baskets

The Great Wave - Waterbox Peninsula 3620 - Alkalinity fluxing!

DevilDuck

Video Update:

I recently got married and left my tank alone for about 2 months for the wedding and honeymoon.

When we finally got back it was a green hair algae infested mess. I spent a better part of a week pulling out handfuls of GHA daily. The algae over grew and smothered a few smaller frags killing them. CUC and even the urchin could not keep up. I lost patience and ordered some Blue Life Flux Rx from Amazon. 

Dosed one dose at 50% recommended strength since I've never used it before and within 10-14 days all remaining GHA melted away. Quite frankly, I am shocked at how effective this stuff is! I ran a ton of carbon for 2 weeks to clear out as much of the medication as possible (I don't normally do water changes). I wasn't expecting the grape calupura in the refugium to make it, but they have made a full recovered after looking a bit bleached during the treatment. 

I cut back on my feedings and my nutrients are starting to bottom out. Last test showed no detectable nitrates and .03 ppm phosphates. I am starting to see the start of dino and dosed the nitrate and phosphate back to detectable levels. Hopefully, I've corrected in time before a full outbreak.

The GHA impacted my coralline algae. It was starting to take off, but now has pulled back quite a bit. I'm sure the Reef Flux didn't help. I have to admit the tank and rock work hasn't look this clean since the tank was started! The newly clean up rock work however has exposed another pest, quickly multiplying vermatid snails. So far they are unsightly by not impacting coral health. 

• Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the marriage...  2 months is a long time to leave the tank alone.

"quickly multiplying vermatid snails"  I really hate em with a passion 

Stay on it and you will get that aquarium looking as you desire!

Nice video, Nice aquarium

Kindanewtothis
On 6/28/2021 at 11:23 AM, DevilDuck said:

Vodka dosing

Do you have a specific thread about it? I thinking of going the same way because I'd prefer not doing too much water change on my new system.

Edit: nevermind found out what I was looking for here! Thanks !

Edited by Kindanewtothis
  • 2 months later...

Made some big mistakes, got lax on my testing and not paying close enough attention to the numbers.

At some point the tank was looking good and numbers seem to be stable. I grew complacent and I stopped testing everything except for phosphate and decreased my alk testing to once or twice a month. BIG MISTAKE.

Last month, I lost my big bubble tip anemone and a few of the rock flowers were not looking their best. I did a full battery of tests and noticed my nitrate were at 0 ppm and my alk was down to the mid 7's dkh from the normal 8.5 dkh.

I took a look through my ATI test for the last few months and sure enough, my nitrate was at 0 for at least 3 months! Alk was low as well.

In my panic, I adjusted alk with baking soda, raising it about 1.5 dhk a day until it was back in the high 8's. Not sure if that was the best thing to do.

Bumped up my All-for-Reef daily dosage, dosed sodium nitrate until nitrates were detectable again (10ppm now).

Keeping stable alk has been a challenge. What's everyone doing to keep yours stable?

• Wow 1
  • Agree 1
  • DevilDuck changed the title to The Great Wave - Waterbox Peninsula 3620 - Alkalinity fluxing!
  • 3 months later...

Feb 2023

Sorry for a lack of updates. I'm in the process of purchasing a house!

Turned down lighting, I think I had it up too high during my attempt at SPS. I have two ecotech g5 XR15's turned up to 85%, the light shock may have made my nems very unhappy. It is now back down to 65%.

- Bubble algae is started to being a problem, I might need to start dosing algaefix/vibrant.

- Started dosing nitrate to keep it above 0ppm

- Added two new bubble tip anemones. 

- Red goni has exploded in growth!

- New crocea clam

Nems both new and old don't seem to be at their best extensions. Rock flowers are not opening as large as before and my mini max carpet has shrank significantly and is no longer sticky...

Screenshot2023-02-19at11_22_04AM.thumb.png.a5e17e8e6e01c555a03731c0814fef09.png

These little purple polyps, seen under the zoa are starting to take over this rock. Now sure if they will become a problem. Bubble algae can also be seen on the lower left.

Nems both new and old don't seem to be at their best extensions. Rock flowers are not opening as large as before and my mini max carpet has shrank significantly and is no longer sticky. Anyone else seen this before? Perhaps the light was too high or something else I can't seem to put my finger on. I'm hoping it recovers.

Mini Maxi carpet now...

Screenshot2023-02-19at11_22_57AM.thumb.png.cc0e06de29518048ce5baefd755ac1d2.png

A few months back.

EA67A199-5D23-413F-B66B-EC6E2E0E9F1A.thumb.jpeg.28938f74b4093eb92b75d90833c11117.jpeg

• Like 3