Pod Your Reef

Help please with my setup

dark8nge1

I'm looking into starting my first SW tank and seeing if someone can help me figure out what the best way to setup my tank is with what I got. I have two 20g plumbed acrylic tank that I can use, they're the ones that Petsmart uses. Each has two pipe fittings on the back, and one is larger than the other. I figured I'd use one as the tank and the other as a fuge. My question is how would I plumb this correctly to make it work. My initial thoughts are putting 90 deg fittings on both the outside and inside of the tank to connect the two. Then just filling the fuge with LR and macro algae. Does anyone have any better ideas, or see any pitfalls. Any help is greatly appreciated.

is it really going to be that simple. where's the pump fitting in? durso stand pipe on the flow from the main tank to the fuge? cutoffs for when lost of power? siphon breaks? valves for cleaning pump and tank maintenance? sometimes plumbing can be a nightmare.

I'm going to use a Lee's specimen container around the intake to make a overflow then use a durso stand pipe to connect that to the fuge. I'll also put a ball valve on that for adjustments/ cleaning. I'm also going to put two baffles in the fuge, one on either side with the LS, LR and macro algae in the middle. I'm not sure how big of a mag pump i'll need to get the flow back to the tank correct. Power heads for the fuge and tank above I'll worry about later. I'm just worried about the fuge plumbing and filtration at this point.

Just read and research, without seeing the stuff it is hard to say what will and won't work, and I'm no plumber. It sounds like you have a pretty good grip on what you're doing from reading your second post. Are you doing a fuge under the tank or above?

I'm going to put the fuge under the tank. I done a some reseaching and still have a lot more to go, but i just wanted to make sure there wasnt anything big I was overlooking

Archived