Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New nano-reef tank Algae?

GroundRelay

GroundRelay

Hello all!  I am new to the nano reef hobby (and new to this forum) although I did have another larger tank many years ago.  I have had my Fluval EVO 13.5 tank set up for about 3 months now and have acquired something that I have never seen before.  Neither my local fish store nor his distributor could identify it either.  Hoping someone has an idea what this is and whether it is good/bad/neutral in my brand new tank given it is all over my rocks.  The core is either very dark or somewhat yellow in the larger ones (about the size of a pin head) and most have this wispy white hair.  The hair only seems to grow a certain length.  They seem to grow regardless of placement in/out of light or flow.  They don't move which makes me think they are some form of algae, but really I have no idea.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

20210625_110603.jpg

20210622_162427.jpg

20210622_162436.jpg

GroundRelay

Thanks for the response!  I did take another look and realized that it isn't anywhere that doesn't get any light... the underside of the rocks in my arch have nothing.  I did put a couple of hermits in there today and it looks like they are pulling some of the hair out but aren't able to get the little nodules.  They are on the rock pretty solidly... I tried to take a toothbrush to them and only the wispy stuff came off.  What could I do about them if they were fungus?

Research things like Reeflux to see if it is a suitable treatment for you situation. I'd try to get a positive i.d. before treating though. If the crabs are eating it, see if they can get through it.

• Like 1
GroundRelay

Thank you Pjanssen!  I am keeping and eye on the crabs... I don't think they are going to take care of the issue.  Does anyone else have any kind of positive ID on what I am dealing with?  I did have a look at marine fungus and didn't find much on anything but treating fish with fungal infections.