Mariah98

HAIR ALGAE NIGHTMARE

Mariah98

I bought a 28g nano from someone on Facebook. I’ve had it for 3 months now (it’s been going for 8 years) and I have the worst hair algae problem I’ve ever seen. Nitrate and phosphate is zero. I have literally no clue what to do. I’m so close to just giving up 😞 it’s so bad that in one spot my coral doesn’t even open because it doesn’t give light. I do water change after water change and it just grows back. I do blackout for 4 days. It help but as soon as that light is on it just grows right back. I need help bad. Please. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

mpugh

Wow 😮 

That’s a lot of GHA. 
Your nitrates and phosphates are probably reading zero because the GHA is using it all. You need to pull as much of it out by hand that can, do quite large water changes every few days and get some rowaphos in there, that’s what I would do anyway, rinse and repeat. You should see it start to go away then. 
I’m by no means an expert and I’m sure far more experienced people than myself can give you advice. 
Sea hares eat GHA like no tomorrow, but they are quite delicate, they are also a temporary solution unless you can find out why the algae is growing. 
Don’t give up!! 

• Thanks 1

kthehun89

what test kit are you using?

What kind of water are you using?

what's your water change schedule?

What kind of light?

Clown79

That looks like dino's in the midst of a bit of hair algae. The stringy look with bubbles, how bad it is, reminds me of my 2 tanks when they were in their worst stages of dino.

I would do the jar test or get a cheap microscope.

Jar test:

Get a clean jar, add water from tank inside but filter it through papertowel.

You want nothing but clear water in the jar.

Put lid on and shake.

Place in ambient light for 4 - 24hrs.

if the clear water has any algae/stringy substance, you have dino.

If its dino's, waterchanges and blackouts will do nothing, if anything waterchanges will encourage more dino.

What are you using in your filter?

How often is the media changed?

You need to confirm what it is because if its dino, everything you would do for gha, cyano, is the total opposite with dino.

Mariah98
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

That looks like dino's in the midst of a bit of hair algae. The stringy look with bubbles, how bad it is, reminds me of my 2 tanks when they were in their worst stages of dino.

I would do the jar test or get a cheap microscope.

Jar test:

Get a clean jar, add water from tank inside but filter it through papertowel.

You want nothing but clear water in the jar.

Put lid on and shake.

Place in ambient light for 4 - 24hrs.

if the clear water has any algae/stringy substance, you have dino.

If its dino's, waterchanges and blackouts will do nothing, if anything waterchanges will encourage more dino.

What are you using in your filter?

How often is the media changed?

You need to confirm what it is because if its dino, everything you would do for gha, cyano, is the total opposite with dino.

Okay I will definitely do that!! I have carbon, media balls and a protein skimmer in the sump in the back of my nano. 

Clown79
26 minutes ago, Mariah98 said:

Okay I will definitely do that!! I have carbon, media balls and a protein skimmer in the sump in the back of my nano. 

Please let us know how it goes. 

• Like 1