Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fluval Spec III (2.6g) Reef - Ideas/Advice

ReachTheSky

10 hours ago, ReachTheSky said:

AFR

In such a small, nutrient limited system I would really consider a more straightforward dosing strategy just to avoid potential interference in issues like this....it could certainly be part of what's running down your PO4.  (I doubt it's fully to blame.)

3 hours ago, ReachTheSky said:

Maybe a Blue Tang is what I need....

You could always hook up some massive Acro colonies with about 50 damselfish to hang out in them and be happy.  That would be TIGHT...like a tiger!

• Haha 2

Last night I dosed 0.20ppm. This morning (6 hours later) it's 0.00ppm.

This is insane. Where is all this phosphorus going? Could it be binding to the rocks and sand?

2 hours ago, ReachTheSky said:

This is insane. Where is all this phosphorus going? Could it be binding to the rocks and sand?

Yes, and buffering your alkalinity.

On 11/25/2021 at 12:05 PM, ReachTheSky said:

It's a major primary nutrient of which you're only adding two tenths of a ppm – and you are growing a reef!  So where's the mystery?? 😉 

But seriously...

If I didn't suggest testing 20-30 minutes after you dose, and then re-dosing (and re-testing and re-dosing) as needed to keep your target level, then my bad.  

There is literally pent up demand, so your system will experience growth spurts which can use up surprising quantities of dissolved nutrients in a VERY short amount of time.

• Like 1

Been dosing large amounts of phosphorus multiple times daily and small amounts of nitrates to keep up with the demand.

Good news is that consumption appears to be slowing down. Instead of bottoming out 0.10ppm within 1-2 hours, it slowly goes down throughout the day.

Acans still look very unhappy. 😞 Other corals are great. Ca/Alk/Mag are steady at 430/8.2/1400

On 11/30/2021 at 2:52 PM, ReachTheSky said:

Instead of bottoming out 0.10ppm within 1-2 hours, it slowly goes down throughout the day.

Acans still look very unhappy. 😞

Try to stay patient since you just now got the problem addressed.  Now the corals will have the materials they need for repair.  As long as the damage wasn't too great to any of them, they will recover.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Small update.

Wife and I went to the store to get some water and pellet food. She really really wanted a little fish. I didn't. Long story short, we got a fish.

Baby Yellow Watchman roughly an inch long:

LRM_20211210_162415.thumb.jpg.9fbf6d9e523022bb3046ef65fe51cbc8.jpg

Been about a week and he's doing well. Found his groove, plays nice with the inverts, eats well and hasn't tried to jump anywhere.

NO3/PO4 are stabilizing nicely. Not dosing nearly as much. Corals are also improving.

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...

Been a little while. Some updates.

First, the fishie is gone. It was only a matter of time before it found the small opening between the light and hood and went carpet surfing 😞

The two Acans were continuing their downward spiral. Day by day, they were slowly receding and showing more and more skeleton.

All nine other corals are growing and thriving. The Montipora, Alveopora and Gorgonian have at least doubled in size since I got them.

I decided to remove the two Acans. Made no sense continuing to watch them wither away and nothing I did was helping. So I bagged them up and took them back to the LFS.

In their place now is a gorgeous Indigo Torch who so far seems to be really enjoying itself:

LRM_20220103_152929.thumb.jpg.ecc3e9bcd81d10a8cb3a9869985acc61.jpg

Phosphate consumption is still a thing I'm dealing with. I dose but not nearly as much. 0.10ppm will take ~2 days to bottom out, even with consistent feeding. Still better than watching it bottom out within a couple of hours.

Ca/Alk/Mag are consistently at 420/8.2/1300. I test every other week and it's always right on the money, every time. AFR is truly magical.

• Like 3
On 1/5/2022 at 3:35 PM, ReachTheSky said:

Phosphate consumption is still a thing I'm dealing with. I dose but not nearly as much. 0.10ppm will take ~2 days to bottom out, even with consistent feeding. Still better than watching it bottom out within a couple of hours.

If you're being literal and PO4 is still regularly returning to ZERO, then that's still a problem....not resolved.  Though it does sound like you've impoved things some!! 🙂 

There's no "upper limit" on po4 dosing....so if you need to dose to a higher level to AVOID the tank returning to ZERO ever again, then dose up to a higher level....double or triple the level if needed....but beyond all doubt DO NOT LET THE LEVEL RETURN TO ZERO AGAIN.  🙂   (Not until it's been long enough that you've forgotten all about this anyway.)

• Like 1