Top Shelf Aquatics

Fluval Spec III (2.6g) Reef - Ideas/Advice

ReachTheSky

So the wife really wants to get another shrimp. I'm not sure if it's a good idea so I thought I'd ask.

How agreeable are Cleaner Shrimp with their tankmates in a small space? Would another Cleaner Shrimp or possibly a Fire Shrimp cause any issues between the two?

Cleaners get pretty large, I think you would have better luck with a smaller coral banded species like the gold guys.

And to answer your question, I definitely wouldn't put more than 1 in a tank this small

• Like 1

I gotcha. Thanks for the tip.

Gold Coral Banded Shrimp looks like an interesting fellow. Pretty sure I saw one at the LFS and they really are tiny. What are your thoughts on Sexy Shrimp?

8 minutes ago, ReachTheSky said:

What are your thoughts on Sexy Shrimp?

Even better! They can nibble on coral though especially zoas so make sure they get fed! Same thing goes for other shrimp too honestly, haven't had a shrimp that wouldn't annoy coral for a chance at food...

Yep. I have to feed this guy first, otherwise he jumps in the coral and takes all their stuff. He seems to calm down after he's had his fill, though I am still concerned he might bully the smaller guys for a meal.

Also I don't keep Zoas in here. LFS advised against it - said they spread way too fast and will quickly take over a small tank.

• Like 1

Slowly turned up the light to 100% over the course of a week or two. All corals are responding well. Also running the tank without the plastic top cover just to see what difference it makes. Average temps dropped from ~79F to 77F, evaporation increased quite a bit and I have to assume there's way more light penetration.

Dosing 0.5ml of ESV Alkalinity per day to maintain 8.2dkh. Calcium is dosed every other day to maintain 440-450ppm. Magnesium is around 1250-1280ppm but I'm going to bring it up to around 1400ppm.

I'm considering adding another RFG in there for a better, more diverse flow pattern. Should be easy with a Loc-Line Y splitter.

Also I'm convinced the snails are messing with me. They've thoroughly cleaned everything, EXCEPT that one tiny patch of green on the top rock.

LRM_20210930_114217.thumb.jpg.097cedfa57e3040363aefe9a58b160be.jpg

1 hour ago, ReachTheSky said:

Slowly turned up the light to 100% over the course of a week or two. All corals are responding well. Also running the tank without the plastic top cover just to see what difference it makes. Average temps dropped from ~79F to 77F, evaporation increased quite a bit and I have to assume there's way more light penetration.

Dosing 0.5ml of ESV Alkalinity per day to maintain 8.2dkh. Calcium is dosed every other day to maintain 440-450ppm. Magnesium is around 1250-1280ppm but I'm going to bring it up to around 1400ppm.

I'm considering adding another RFG in there for a better, more diverse flow pattern. Should be easy with a Loc-Line Y splitter.

Also I'm convinced the snails are messing with me. They've thoroughly cleaned everything, EXCEPT that one tiny patch of green on the top rock.

LRM_20210930_114217.thumb.jpg.097cedfa57e3040363aefe9a58b160be.jpg

Are you using esv bionic alk and ca?

They should be dosed in equal parts the same day to keep both params balanced

2 hours ago, ReachTheSky said:

Ya, both are ESV B-Ionic. Should I dose 0.5ml of each daily?

Thats what the instructions are for 2 part dosing.

You base your target on alk consumption and dose equal parts each day, otherwise it throws them out of balance. 

Got a little green Monti Cap today and put it all the way up top. Just want to see if easy SPS can grow under the A80.

Idiot Shrimp went in and got one of his claws glued shut. 🤦‍♂️ Hopefully he gets it off soon. If not, he's due to shed any day now.

The Chalice also went from Green/Pink to straight Purple. No signs of bleaching or anything and it's mouths still open and close. I presume it's normal for them to do that?

On 10/2/2021 at 10:53 PM, ReachTheSky said:

Got a little green Monti Cap today and put it all the way up top. Just want to see if easy SPS can grow under the A80.

Idiot Shrimp went in and got one of his claws glued shut. 🤦‍♂️ Hopefully he gets it off soon. If not, he's due to shed any day now.

The Chalice also went from Green/Pink to straight Purple. No signs of bleaching or anything and it's mouths still open and close. I presume it's normal for them to do that?

My shrimp got glue on it too. Could never mind his own business when gluing frags. Lol. 

He was fine. 

On 9/29/2021 at 12:39 PM, ReachTheSky said:

I gotcha. Thanks for the tip.

Gold Coral Banded Shrimp looks like an interesting fellow. Pretty sure I saw one at the LFS and they really are tiny. What are your thoughts on Sexy Shrimp?

I would not advise to house cleaner or coral banded shrimp with sexy shrimp. As they will eat sexy shrimp when they get big enough. Sexy shrimp are very little and cant defend them selves and a tank this small they won't have anywhere to run and hid. Tanks looking really good by the way

• Like 1

Thanks for the shrimp advice. For now, we've decided to keep things as is.

So far the Monti Cap seems to be enjoying itself. A portion of it was under shade at the store so it was half-discolored. It's coloration has fully returned since I introduced it. It's vibrant AF and the polyps are always out. The other corals look good too. I see a new head starting to sprout under one of the Acans.

Did a full battery of tests a few hours after a 1 gallon water change:

• Temps: Steady at 77-78 F
  • Salinity: 1.026 (35ppt)
  • Nitrate: 2ppm
  • Phosphate: 0.07ppm
  • Calcium: 410ppm
  • Alkalinity: 7.7dKH
  • Magnesium: 1280ppm

I'm dosing 1ml of both ESV B-Ionic supplements daily. Magnesion is dosed as needed. I feed a cocktail of frozen mysis, reef chili and a few drops of amino acid every 2-3 days. I top off the water twice daily too. Nano's are a lot of work man... a solid dosing unit is looking more and more attractive each day but they cost more than this entire setup. 🙄

Roughly 12 hours after dosing 1ml of B-Ionic, alkalinity went DOWN to 7.3dKH. According to the BRS calculator, 1ml is supposed to boost alk by 0.9

What...?

Is it possible that it's precipitating out from somewhere? Consumption can't be that high, or could it.

EDIT: Dosed another 1ml of 2-part and tested an hour later. Alk is at ~8.2dKH now. I will test again later tonight.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, ReachTheSky said:

Any opinions on Tropic Marin All-For-Reef? Had an idea of getting a Kamoer X1 and using it for dosing this solution.

You can make it yourself without the trace elements for half the price, otherwise it works great for me and quite a few others.

Thanks. I will look into that. This might be a better solution for me than the B-Ionic. Don't get me wrong, it IS very effective but I'm worried that parameters are swinging far too much as it is, and will only get worse as the garden grows.

Plus I'm too damn lazy to hand-dose multiple times a day.

• 3 weeks later...

Montipora nearly bleached out. My hunch that it was related to swinging parameters was probably correct. I stopped dosing everything altogether and in the week following, recession stopped and it started to slowly recover. Parameters dropped like a ton of bricks of course (380ppm CA, 5.6dkh ALK) but bad levels that are consistent > good levels that swing.

I installed a Kamoer X1 Pro and started dosing All-For-Reef a couple of days ago. Testing daily and working on dialing it in for stability. Love the app!

So far the corals seem to be liking it way more. Frogspawns have better extension and the Monti is continuing to recover.

Doser is just about dialed in. Started with 0.5ml of All-For-Reef per day and gradually increased dosage up to 1.4ml. Parameters seem to be staying around the 420Ca / 8.0KH / 1300Mg mark. No drama from any of the corals so far.

It was my birthday a few days ago so my fiance got me a few additions to the tank. Up to 11 corals now in a 2.5g which means I'm running out of space quickly. I'll have to get creative with placement!

20211105_111059-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.ac17a3594dccd6709f33489571227a94.jpg

• Like 2

Acans look very unhappy. I'm not sure what's going on. The one on the right started shriveling up about a week ago and over the last two days, the one on the left followed suit.

I spot feed them every couple of days, confirmed that no one is really bugging them. Light and flow levels haven't really changed - they've always been happy in that position until recently. Ca/Alk/Mg stays pretty steady at 420/8.0/1280. Phosphates/Nitrates are at ~0.05ppm/<5ppm

20211110_095448-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.b879438dff657bbe7226c35803752778.jpg