Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

urchin help needed

HawthorneAl

HawthorneAl

I have a red tuxedo,  he doesn't seem interested in roaming, or moving, or eating. His tentacles dont seem to be moving, but his spines are responsive to touch. He wont stick to anything. His mouth moves around. It's been in this (phase) for almost a week now.

Tank parameters are all good, other urchins, cuc, corals, and fishermen are all thriving. I did lood a couple of clowns a few days ago, (one of maybe an attack (not fish), and the other was sudden. Loss of color and slimmed over, happened within a couple of hours).

What's up with the urcin?

20210617_180559.jpg

Clowns could have had brook disease.  Look it up.     The urchin could be having a response to that but usually only affects fish though. Because the brook disease need the fish to host. But I would definitely check out some information on it.  Have any other fish died?

How old is your tank? It looks fairly new. With all the white rock.

HawthorneAl

Actually,  tank is 4 months, I have some new dry rock in my refugium,  that's where I have the urchin, just in case it dies behind a rock and I cant get to It.

Yes, I believe it was brook, non of my other fish, or other clown seem affected. My urchin has been acting weird for a week.

Is the urchin loosing its spines? Thats usually not a good sign. 

Is there enough algae in the tank for multiple urchins?

The clown issue sounds likeca separate issue. Possibly brook.

HawthorneAl

Did loose a few, but maybe stressed out, the rest seem intact, and responsive. Yes, algae,  and I also placed it on top of some nori, I also had some other (I forgot the name, but, its red and larger leaf), it didn't eat that,  or an algae wafer.

Yes, I think it was brook also, likely unrelated.

2 hours ago, HawthorneAl said:

Did loose a few, but maybe stressed out, the rest seem intact, and responsive. Yes, algae,  and I also placed it on top of some nori, I also had some other (I forgot the name, but, its red and larger leaf), it didn't eat that,  or an algae wafer.

Yes, I think it was brook also, likely unrelated.

Spines dropping is never a good sign.

All fish need to be removed and treated in a separate tank. 

The display tank will need to go fallow at least 6 weeks.

HawthorneAl

That might be a problem,  I could put some of the refugium rock (live with copepods)  in a separate 20 gallon,  and use some of the water from the display to fill on a water change.  But, It was fresh water, no real bio filter.  Will that be an issue for the fish?

If it’s brook, you want nothing but the fish in a QT tank, with all sterile/new equipment otherwise the other tank will be contaminated. I’m currently going through this, with some great advice from people in this forum. Lost my blenny to it 🥺 my clown is on his own in a QT being medicated 

HawthorneAl

Urchin is still responsive with moving spines, I did see it eating some nori, but, it's not extending its tube feet. Any input or thoughts "urchinly need help"