Top Shelf Aquatics

3 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

You should add pods and bristle worms to deals with the rest of your mantis meal.

Yeah loads of pods in the tank as well as rotifers, bristle worms, micro brittle stars and stomatella snails will be the next addition. Still waiting on an arrival of a smaller Mantis species and trying desperately to stay away from that Hawkfish in the LFS 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Still waiting on an arrival of a smaller Mantis

Do you have a timeline for when the next mantis will arrive?

All Europe should have the same live rock from which my mantis came.  Did you try to contact reefers on UK forum do know if they have a hitchhiker mantis shrimp? You may have some luck.

2 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Do you have a timeline for when the next mantis will arrive?

All Europe should have the same live rock from which my mantis came.  Did you try to contact reefers on UK forum do know if they have a hitchhiker mantis shrimp? You may have some luck.

Yeah I have adverts out on the main two forums UR and Reefbase, issue with hitch hiker mantis is that i wont know the species until it arrives and i dont want to be stuck with something unsuitable for the tank (peacock) or something really dull, I have one of the G. Viridis on back order but its anyones guess if/when it will arive 

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Picked up the first sacrifice to the Mantis gods, 2x Trocus Snails and one Spiny Astrea. All got a load of coralline algae on the shells so will be scraping them shells when i get them to the tank this evening (currently keeping warm in the Cichlid tank in a bag of course)

I'd like to see a video of the feeding!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

No actual sacrifice until you get the mantis. Why aren't you floating the bags in the tank they will go in?

Because currently i am in my office and the tank they shall go in is at home, established snacks a better phrase?

• Haha 1
Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Using the coralline on the shells in an attempt to introduce the algae into the tank - "seeding" effectively 

Wouldn't just leaving the shells in the tank do the job?

Real question (last one I promise), sorry to hijack your thread 😉

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Wouldn't just leaving the shells in the tank do the job?

Real question (last one I promise), sorry to hijack your thread 😉

Yes that will work too, apparently scraping the shells speeds up the process. Worth a go take a toothbrush to my new critters and make them all shiney.

Hijack away, asking questions is how we learn (especially me) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I do like that phrase better. I though about the office right after I posted. It's a holiday here so some stuff is closed. Banks. post office I think the stock market. No affect on my life I am always on holiday. Scraping not brushing. But I have brushed snail shells to get rid of hair algae. 

Kindanewtothis
47 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I think I do like that phrase better. 

I use to have snakes (like 15), my friends called it "the feeding" (some only wanted live pray)

Kindanewtothis
9 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I need to find a mantis shrimp first like. 😁

Anything other than Instagram or Youtube for hosting video's?

Yeah I mistaked you for @M. Tournesol who I think have a mantis.

For the videos I use youtube and I share the link. Would be nice to be able to post videos directly but I guess to size would be too big.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
28 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

😢

Why so sad? You do have mantis thant came with your rocks right? 

But if I remember it's an unwanted mantis.

22 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

But if I remember it's an unwanted mantis.

This is why I am sad. I like the mantis but I don't like the fact that my snails are on the menu and that my alpheus randalli mysteriously disappeared.

• Sad 2
9 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

UK and France are close @Ratvan and @M. Tournesol you are 1 train ride away from a swap! (I did a one day round way trip from Paris to London once) 😉

One, the mantis shrimp is still not captured. Two, it is not cheap 💸 even when I am living near Paris (île-de-france). Four, transporting animals between countries may be illegal. Five, Covid.

1555145471_Capturedcran2021-09-0716_15_26.thumb.png.9f1d3b5ce7b1927496bc7a0dfcc5b354.png

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
4 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

One, the mantis shrimp is still not captured. Two, it is not cheap 💸 even when I am living near Paris (île-de-france). Four, transporting animals between countries may be illegal. Five, Covid.

1555145471_Capturedcran2021-09-0716_15_26.thumb.png.9f1d3b5ce7b1927496bc7a0dfcc5b354.png

You know I wasn't really serious right?

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

We've looked into posting, far too expensive as UK is no longer in the EU

If by miracle, I manage to capture it and a local "LFS" is ok to take it I could ask him if they deliver to the UK. If yes, not too costly, and if @Ratvan is still looking for a mantis I could give him the LFS phone number.

• Like 2
  • Ratvan changed the title to Mantis Murder Manor