Coral Vue Hydros

8 hours ago, Ratvan said:

just debating on where Hank looks best

Some would say Hank looks good anywhere 😉😆

#strikeaposehank

#yellowsteel

I keep my stickers on the inside of my cabinet doors, but I’ve seen some keep their sticker collection in a frame.

3C827480-A352-423A-9AF9-C0B7E91DFDBA.thumb.jpeg.c9f6ccba494991f2e115d40546038b88.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

So my preferred choice of Macro Algae supplier looks like it is either going to be shutting down, or alternatively will have a suspended service due to ongoing health issues of one of the main members of staff. A real shame as they sold some of the best selection of Macro Algaes that I have seen and there grow rooms where some of the cleanest that i have seen and was very lucky to have had a tour of the facilities. 

However, I have found perhaps another supplier that I am going to try out, www.plantedreef.co.uk. Have ordered

Cladophora Prolifera (Green bush)

1304690820_CladophoraProlifera.thumb.jpg.7e00d771610c21ed79ac92c1f240a3ac.jpg

and also Chondria Sp. (Red Hair Algae)

1695288392_ChondriaSp.thumb.jpg.1bb35bb90acd65ff2f8fd7590d576132.jpg

Images stolen from the above mentioned website

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
27 minutes ago, A.m.P said:

You're probably aware of this already, but be cautious with the chondira, the second it touches your rocks it will be the only thing growing on them.

Thanks yeah its the main reason that i picked both species is that they are invasive and in my opinion look better and more natural than the caulerpa that i dont have much luck with, i think this is naturally turning into a pest tank of sorts

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

Thanks yeah its the main reason that i picked both species is that they are invasive and in my opinion look better and more natural than the caulerpa that i dont have much luck with, i think this is naturally turning into a pest tank of sorts

Sounds awesome to me, maybe some majano, there are some damn-pretty ones out there and I bet they'll have no problem at all.

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, A.m.P said:

Sounds awesome to me, maybe some majano, there are some damn-pretty ones out there and I bet they'll have no problem at all.

Majanos would be amazing, but difficult to find especially with the poor quality of live rock i have to choose from, plus people typically zap them as soon as its discovered to be a "pest". I'd love to find some blue clove polyps too, really like the looks of those. Also the typical red mushrooms too but postage with those seems to be an issue.

Currently talking to a few UK reefers who have too much Xenia, GSP and Green Kenya tree just waiting on them to find some heat packs for postage. 

• Like 4

So the Macroalgae arrived and so far very happy with my purchases. Also took the opportunity to rearrange the tank slightly this evening after a water change and change of filter floss so excuse the slightly cloudy water.

So order came to £12.98 including free delivery 

20211015_190919.thumb.jpg.241e988dbc2dc0b5da698ae5737fe713.jpg

Thumbs up for scale and showing off the sticker 👍

20211015_194033.thumb.jpg.19cf14215eaa829465ef44cc04bfb816.jpg

So I have re angled the Fluval Nozzles so that any clumps will be pushed into whatever I line the front glass with, i also have to contend with a mantis that really enjoys exploring and decorating her lair. FOr the last week i have heard her constantly working on the inside of the rock. Honestly i wish there was a way to know what she's done in this rock. She has also done work in the rock that i have removed to start the 9to5 tank 

20211015_193710.thumb.jpg.1595b04a33695b3640f07d8fc4afdcaa.jpg

really excited about this one

20211015_193722.thumb.jpg.f294b063a59ec38a86583bd804aa9431.jpg

I wish there was a way to request hitch hikers if possible as this was very clean algae on inspection. I will get a FTS once the water clears and after another floss change, might see if i can find my polypads

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

So FTS as promised, changed the floss this morning and re tested the water. Ammonia 0, nitrates 5 and phosphate 0.05 so what i call perfect for this tank

20211016_101637.thumb.jpg.1b5295e400807ae62001e0864d046a43.jpg

The macro looks decent

20211016_101652.thumb.jpg.d59d30e14615bd7d3e17bb1e91f9bca5.jpg

Might have some small die off of this piece

20211016_101648.thumb.jpg.d0f1194a721cf90b11716efcbb273e25.jpg

And the whole time the shady lurker watches

20211016_102210.thumb.jpg.3d4ff9a1e72d11e564668393adf31035.jpg

• Like 10

Nice. I’m jealous… I want a green Kenya tree… so pretty and sounds like may be less likely to spread out of control than standard Kenya trees. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

So first mantis shrimp related injury, the macro came loose so i was attempting to glue the frag directly to the rock and caught a smack for my troubles

20211019_072051.thumb.jpg.25fc27b30ff896ffef53ec5a421771c3.jpg

Split the nail right at the base

Oh dang, that must’ve hurt! 😯

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Oh that smarts. I bet you jumped and splashed water all over. 

threats were issued, along the lines of frying with garlic, ginger and chilli flakes. I felt the contact but not the sting till a couple seconds after, kind of like the first time a clownfish takes a nibble. More the surprise than the pain  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Mama clown gets me every time I put my hand in the tank. I know it's coming but still jump every time. 

For now mine leaves me alone after I successfully flicked her in the nose for trying.

• Haha 5

I need to remember to check water parameters tonight before adding the corals, I am aiming at keeping the phosphate as close to 0.05 as possible and nitrates between 5-10ppm. I have noticed that the Chondira has already expanded and I am seeing plenty of new growth on the tips, also the snails seem to be doing too much of a good job at cleaning the algae as the rocks are once again looking rather pale, with the occasional tiny spot of coralline here and there, so looks as though i need to start adding some nori here and there. Prior to adding the Macro algae its typically every 2 weeks that i need to do a water change, ideally i would like this to be a monthly task but depends on how the tank reacts. 

Next additions to the tank I want to try and bulk up the clean up crew, mainly detritus eating omnivores and sand stirrers. Ideally 1-3 small hermit crabs (also want to see how the Mantis reacts to these) some Dwarf Cerith and some Nassarius. Also the banded Trocus are getting to the point where if they don't clean each other i will need to pull from the tank and scrub again, also noticed that my spiny astrea has a couple of areas where the mantis has struck the shell, perhaps the snail got too close to one of her lair entrances and caught a smack

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Ideally 1-3 small hermit crabs (also want to see how the Mantis reacts to these)

I know it's not the same but my pistol shrimp doesn't care for hermits but I did see it carying around a cerith snail!

• Thanks 1
  • Ratvan changed the title to Mantis Murder Manor