Pod Your Reef

17 hours ago, awakedॢ said:

I saw this tank last week,,,,after that, I felt my fresh tank (acrylic, 60L btw) is lil dirty,,,,so I tried to clean,,,

n something happened everyone can expect!!! hint is my butter hands,,,😭😢😂🤣🤪

I shouldn't have checked this?!?! kidding~😉

p.s 

29672F27-F277-418D-A1CB-FF5829AEF8E2.thumb.jpeg.85e482cf1f27d27176d140ce6b0af96f.jpeg

Thanks, the glass is clean but the snails dont do a very good job on the algae that is growing on the plants, need to see if Opal will allow anything else in the tank as she is a Killer! Also need to sort a proper lid/cover for this one,

Going to wait a couple of weeks and then place an order for a small CUC, as well as critters to start building life into the tank (pods, Micro Stars, Stomatella Snails etc)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So today i decided that the stock pump did not provide enough flow for what i wanted so i added the "spare" Tunze that i use for my water changes. The current is whipping around now and food and larger detritus particles stay suspended for longer and the one dead spot I did have has moved to an easily observed place. I also took this opportunity to thoroughly stir the sandbed and change the position of the rocks again 

20210806_144804.thumb.jpg.1bfa9576772ea9f081c49297c86429a5.jpg

At this point I just want to keep the tank cycling for another month before i add anytime, mainly because teh LFS sold the Mantis Shrimp I wanted (I knew i should have put a deposit down). I'm also using this time to try and burn out as much of the ugly stage as i can before I start adding livestock 

20210806_144808.thumb.jpg.98b9672d404847d00589f0b4e86a8229.jpg

Beginning to start thinking about different options that are available for this tank so that i actually have something to watch inside of it

20210806_144816.thumb.jpg.23a7bd3ac91d15210c010b5be58d363c.jpg

yeah I didnt clean the glass

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Murphych said:

Bold move.. be careful not to overload the system man......

I need to do something about this algae outbreak 🤣20210809_215331.thumb.jpg.423c55b5a3d85f9626378183698509f6.jpg

20210809_215335.thumb.jpg.5cca40f9c31af465b8ef9f8eb1d37f10.jpg

Also that tunze doesnt mess about

20210809_215344.thumb.jpg.53756fdc016ae874671770ad0f02dc71.jpg

Might need to take out some sand

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Murphych said:

Noooooooo leave the sand. It will sort itself out and you'll have a super nice natural looking bed 

11 hours ago, Bigals-nano-1 said:

I think the sand looks good and wish I had put more in my tank. Might add some more in one of these days. 

I shall leave the sand in, in that case. It however does give me the chance to blow as much dust and detritus out the sand as possible before i add anything to the tank. I keep waiting for the uglies to start now 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

you could introduce some of the planned macro algae now?

Most likely end of the month now as my preferred supplier is shut down till month end, the copepods and rotifers that i added should start to reproduce in the tank and feed off of some of the film algae also the green water culture is coming along nicely so should be able to dose in the next few days.

• Like 5

So i'm starting to see some diatoms on the sandbed and the rockwork now which is reassuring, also notice a lot of the tufted green algae on the rockwork is giving way to a more film type algae, i've not touched the glass since adding the pods and rotifiers and have noticed that the glass is typically cleaned of algae but the time that the lights come on during the late afternoon/evening

20210815_195953.thumb.jpg.f741858616f2ce559a162f07cb259cf5.jpg  

Also the green water culture is starting to take off now, its been going for approximately 10 days now and I am starting to see the water turn green. I do need to siphon off some of the detritus collecting at the bottom of the tank (mostly banana skin)

green water.jpg

• Like 4
awakedॢ

boring to wait,,,😒🥱😴

I really wanna share some macro algae n some soft coral like xeina, cloves, starpolyps,,,if it’s possible! btw 🐶

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, awakedॢ said:

boring to wait,,,😒🥱😴

I really wanna share some macro algae n some soft coral like xeina, cloves, starpolyps,,,if it’s possible! btw 🐶

That would be awesome if you could, i'd definately take the Macro and the Cloves. 

I think the issue we have now is that the postage cost and time would be too high since Brexit......

Could always try a small Mat of GSP in an Envelope, or Damp posting Macro 

The waiting isn't really bothering me as much as the other tanks that I have had, i think its likely that because i'm barely at home with this tank i dont really look at it too much and have that urge to splash a load of cash to fill the thing up.

Having said that I have placed an order for the following, should be arriving some point next week

*100ml Copepods

*100ml Rotifers

*50ml Ampipods

3 Stomatella Snails

5 Micro Bristle stars

5 Bristleworms

500G Established Reef Rubble

Codium

Caulerpa Spp

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

That urchin is a mini reef all by itself. I would be tempted to give it it's own little pico.

Yeah that would have been a bargain, it had Xenia, Zoas, Astrea Snail, Cerith Snail and a branch of an Acro i think

awakedॢ

I recommend red n yellow scooter(dunn remember the name right now 🤣), n tuxedo or long pins instead of them! 👍🏻🐶

10 minutes ago, awakedॢ said:

I recommend red n yellow scooter(dunn remember the name right now 🤣), n tuxedo or long pins instead of it! 👍🏻🐶

All would need a lot more mature reef than i have right now, and again mantis would go whackamole on them :sad:

• Haha 1
awakedॢ
3 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

All would need a lot more mature reef than i have right now, and again mantis would go whackamole on them :sad:

U dunn hv any mantis inda tank for now??? so then, nobody know what happen next~🐶

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose it is due an update of sorts been a couple of weeks, at the moment just letting the tank trundle along. I've had severe diatoms over the past couple of weeks which has now abated, i've also not cleaned the glass at all since 16/08/2021 so roughly just over two weeks.

20210902_094912.thumb.jpg.ff920902e2fa82b09aa59a54d0492644.jpg

The tunze has also made some interesting rescapes of the sand, will be looking for clean up crew this weekend so at least i can have something to look at in the tank shortly, even if they will eventually be Mantis snacks 

20210902_094902.jpg

And a song, why not?

• Like 6

Picked up the first sacrifice to the Mantis gods, 2x Trocus Snails and one Spiny Astrea. All got a load of coralline algae on the shells so will be scraping them shells when i get them to the tank this evening (currently keeping warm in the Cichlid tank in a bag of course)

• Like 1
  • Ratvan changed the title to Mantis Murder Manor