Pod Your Reef

Turbo Snails not moving and upside down

caldodemiso

caldodemiso

** UPDATE: they died 😢 **

Yesterday I bought a couple hermits, 2 turbo snails and a cleaner shrimp. I acclimated the turbos and hermits together for about half an hour and put them in the tank, then acclimated the shrimp for almost an hour. The hermits and shrimp seem to be doing well. They're exploring their new home and eating lots of noms. My turbos on the other hand are not. They moved a bit when I put them in the tank (I put them in gently btw) and then they both just flopped upside down and looked like buttholes. I continuously checked on them throughout the night to see if they would move or if any of my other CUC ended up dying, but everything was the same. I took them out of tank bc if they were dead I didn't want them to crash the tank but put them in a small bowl with new salt water in case they were alive. As soon as I put them in the bowl they started moving -.-

They only peeped their eyes out of their shells and adjusted themselves slightly. So it wasn't much movement. But it was movement. 

I put them back in the tank and they moved a little again. I noted their positions and went to bed. The next morning I saw them in the same position I left them in so I grabbed a chopstick so I can kinda move them in the tank to see if they would react, which they did. 

They're not dead but are pretty lathargic. Is this normal?? I don't want them dying bc I love them. Please! any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!! ❤️❤️ 

Edited by caldodemiso
  • Like 1

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

It's not that unusual for new snails to take awhile to start moving.  Hopefully they will be good to go in a day or two.  Maybe the salinity was different.

It sounds like you got them locally.  However, here is what Reef Cleaners says about new snails which were shipped:  https://www.reefcleaners.org/acclimation

• Like 3

Turbos fail at flipping themselves over too, so if you ever see them upside-down like that I would recommend manually turning them right-side up again.

• Like 1
caldodemiso
On 6/9/2021 at 7:19 PM, seabass said:

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

It's not that unusual for new snails to take awhile to start moving.  Hopefully they will be good to go in a day or two.  Maybe the salinity was different.

It sounds like you got them locally.  However, here is what Reef Cleaners says about new snails which were shipped:  https://www.reefcleaners.org/acclimation

unfortunately i tried moving them right-side up again this morning and their bodies completely fell out of their shells 😳 they must have been dead for at least a day since i've noticed more algae than normal. I took them out and boy did they REEEK 🤢. R.I.P. 🪦 🐌

• Like 1

certain snails can't live long at 78, let alone warmer temps. maybe they were margarita snails that were sold as turbos? or ones harvested from Baja, where the water temp is much cooler?

Murphs_Reef

I have had a few "bad batches" in the past where they just didn't live long at all and end up upside down a couples hours after putting in them in the tank. I generally buy around 3 or 4 a week as I have a dusky wrasse that picks a couple off every week so need to keep getting new ones.. 

Maybe you just had some that where unhealthy to begin with. 

They aren't as pretty to look at as turbos but check out Cerith snails long as you acclimate them correctly they are little tanks that can right themselves back up and very easily take care of themselves also great glass cleaners. Just be careful if you have hermits they go crazy over those shells.