Pod Your Reef

algae floating on top of aquarium

Hi I have what looks like green algae floating on the top of my tank.  It's not suspended in the water just on the top. It leave a green scum on nets or pipettes   I have very little algae elsewhere.  Tank has good circulation.  How do I get rid of it and is it harmful to fish, inverts or coral?  Thanks

I take a small container (like a measuring cup) and hold it upright, with a lip just under the water line, to suction the surface water out (along with any films that might be accumulating). Do it a few times and you'll get the hang of it.  if it's much more than a film, I'd use a brine shrimp net to scoop it out.

Going forward, it might help a little to get some better surface agitation.  You might try pointing a powerhead slightly upwards, and/or moving the powerhead up higher.  You might also look at what you are feeding and/or dosing (along with your nutrient levels , as Clown79 suggested).

8 hours ago, seabass said:

I take a small container (like a measuring cup) and hold it upright, with a lip just under the water line, to suction the surface water out (along with any films that might be accumulating). Do it a few times and you'll get the hang of it.  if it's much more than a film, I'd use a brine shrimp net to scoop it out.

Going forward, it might help a little to get some better surface agitation.  You might try pointing a powerhead slightly upwards, and/or moving the powerhead up higher.  You might also look at what you are feeding and/or dosing (along with your nutrient levels , as Clown79 suggested).

I'm curious to see it.

When my tank had dino's, before i even knew it was dino, it first started with odd algae floating at the surface.

I had no idea what it was or why it was happening until a few weeks later when it was everywhere

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

When my tank had dino's, before i even knew it was dino, it first started with odd algae floating at the surface.  I had no idea what it was or why it was happening until a few weeks later when it was everywhere

Dinos is certainly a possibility.

At this point it's hard to say.  I assume it's not any form of macroalgae.  We might even need more than a regular pic to properly ID it.  It'd be nice to get a sample under a microscope.

• Like 2

Hi,

I went to take the picture yesterday and the green scum was all gone.  It had been there for at least 3 weeks. I am not sure what was different while I was away but it has cleared up completely.  I hope that means it's gone and not just waiting to bring back friends.  Do you think there is anything else I should do?

Thanks