8 hours ago, Jaren45 said:

I could use some advice. My parameters:

- Sg 1.025 (hanna)

- Temp 77-78f

- Alk- 6.9 (hanna)

- Calc - 430 (salifert)

- no3 - 25 (salifert)

- po4 - .25 (salifert)

I can't seem to keep sps or really any stony coral alive anymore. Not even easy lps. Lighting is still the neptune sky on a custom schedule at 25% intensity for 10hrs a day. I still do 5g water change weekly on a ~35g system

PXL_20220330_183401696.thumb.jpg.8ec3ba6409d099e941cf18fc478abdac.jpg

Any advice? Do you think the gorgs and softies are producing toxins? I've never thought it could be an issue.

Some leathers, supposedly, can secrete toxins that interfere with other coral growths, so running carbon is advised.

also you recently revamped the rockwork with all new dry rocks, so it may takes a bit of time for things to settle down.

but i'm curious if it wasn't your new light that also impacting the recently introduced sps.  you used to run 3 AI primes, but now you're running just one sky, at a rather low power, IMO (not that i know anything about the sky output)

• Agree 1

I thought the same thing but that's why I've been worried about turning it up, I burnt stuff when I first put it on. The light is rated around 200 watts, around the equivalent of 4 primes

19 hours ago, Jaren45 said:

I could use some advice. My parameters:

- Sg 1.025 (hanna)

- Temp 77-78f

- Alk- 6.9 (hanna)

- Calc - 430 (salifert)

- no3 - 25 (salifert)

- po4 - .25 (salifert)

I can't seem to keep sps or really any stony coral alive anymore. Not even easy lps. Lighting is still the neptune sky on a custom schedule at 25% intensity for 10hrs a day. I still do 5g water change weekly on a ~35g system

PXL_20220330_183401696.thumb.jpg.8ec3ba6409d099e941cf18fc478abdac.jpg

Any advice? Do you think the gorgs and softies are producing toxins? I've never thought it could be an issue.

Maybe your phosphates are too high? I highly doubt the softies are causing the problem. They may slow down growth, but they shouldn't lead to the death of SPS. 

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Some leathers, supposedly, can secrete toxins that interfere with other coral growths, so running carbon is advised.

also you recently revamped the rockwork with all new dry rocks, so it may takes a bit of time for things to settle down.

but i'm curious if it wasn't your new light that also impacting the recently introduced sps.  you used to run 3 AI primes, but now you're running just one sky, at a rather low power, IMO (not that i know anything about the sky output)

Side question on this thought, I know too much light is definitely bad for most coral, but would too little light cause sps to peel from the tips? Of course they turned a bit brown first

• Like 1
TheKleinReef
1 hour ago, Jaren45 said:

Side question on this thought, I know too much light is definitely bad for most coral, but would too little light cause sps to peel from the tips? Of course they turned a bit brown first

i've never had low light cause RTN/STN, it's always been something else.

flow, chemistry, contaminants and/or nutrients are more likely factors for SPS peeling.

what's interesting in this case is even the LPS are dying.

• Like 1

I'm not too sure, but I don't think so. Peeling at the tips can be caused by alk swings though ('alk burn'). Have you ever considered sending out an ICP? Do you maintain your RO unit? 

• Agree 1

I think It may have been from switching to kalkwasser, I raised my alk to about 10.8 at the highest on accident over a week or so. It's been sitting at around 7 for a few months now though.

I might try sending out an icp test or just scrap the whole tank and start over. @joshthebox To answer your question I get my water (including salt) from my job at the lfs, we have a commercial ro unit pumping out 0 tds water at 1.5gpm. I test and make the water myself so I know that part's good.

• Like 2
mitten_reef

I think It may have been from switching to kalkwasser, I raised my alk to about 10.8 at the highest on accident over a week or so. It's been sitting at around 7 for a few months now though.

I might try sending out an icp test or just scrap the whole tank and start over. @joshthebox To answer your question I get my water (including salt) from my job at the lfs, we have a commercial ro unit pumping out 0 tds water at 1.5gpm. I test and make the water myself so I know that part's good.

If i read that correctly, you generally kept the tank around 7, switched to kalk, and it shot up to 10.8 and stayed there over a week before you noticed.   OR even if I interpreted that it was gradual increase from 7 to 10.8 over a span of a week.  either way, that'd still likely be the culprit of your acros peeling, a big jump in relatively short time.      

• Like 2
mitten_reef
13 hours ago, Jaren45 said:

turning brown could be low light, or high P.  peeling is likely alk swing you noted

• Like 3