Top Shelf Aquatics

Green Clown Goby Hiding in QT - Should I be concerned?

Chris's Fishes

Chris's Fishes

Hey guys,

I bought a few fish on Thursday (a Tailspot Blenny, Firefish, Green Clown Goby, and Royal Gramma) and put them into QT. My QT tank is a standard 10 gallon, an AquaClear 50 (with plenty of biomedia), a 50W heater, barebottom, a couple of pots and a piece of PVC. I put a tank divider in to separate the gramma from the other 3, as I know they can sometimes be a bit more boisterous than the others. The tank is well-cycled and season, and has been set up for nearly a year as a QT tank - it's covered in algae and has a ton of pods and other bugs running around.

Ammonia and nitrite test 0, and nitrates test at 10 PPM today before the water change. PH is at 8, and SG is at 1.021, since I tend to run my QT tanks a little lower to try and reduce stress. Temp is 78.

The firefish, tailspot, and gramma are all active and eating. They're behaving as I would expect - skittish, but otherwise normal. The green clown goby hasn't moved from his spot underneath the PVC since I got him. He'll eat when something passes by him, but otherwise won't budge. He isn't getting bullied, as far as I can tell. and looks completely healthy.

I am treating with General Cure, since most of the fish I've found locally have some sort of internal parasites, but I haven't seen any symptoms.

I've had clown gobies in the past and they've always been very brave animals - they'd sit in my hand, come to the glass and beg for food, and had huge personalities. This guy is just super shy - should I be worried? Is there something (a decoration) I can add to the tank that may help bring him out of his shell? Or is he probably still just adjusting to the tank?

Any help is appreciated!

Chris's Fishes
9 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

if he's eating, then I wouldn't be concerned.  Though he may always be shy and you may rarely see him.

Thanks! I did see him out a little early this morning eating some live baby brine. He looks healthy, so I'll just keep an eye on him.

• Like 1