Coral Vue Hydros

Penny's Lane Movin' On Up-Retired

Pjanssen

ECLS Reefer
4 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Ammonia was still above .25 this evening, with nitrites reading off the chart.

Sounds like the cycle is spiking. I’d think a few more days- do you add bacteria when you cycle? I luv the bacteria and probably dose MB7 more than is needed but it makes sense to me at least that moar bacteria is a good thing. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ECLS Reefer said:

do you add bacteria when you cycle

I used Fritz Zyme 9 at the start. Have not added any more. Was planning on adding more when the cycle finished as per a bulk reef youtube video.

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
17 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I used Fritz Zyme 9 at the start. Have not added any more. Was planning on adding more when the cycle finished as per a bulk reef youtube video.

When I cycled my rocks for my big tank I dosed MB7 multiple times. I mean the goal is to establish a bio filter and the bacteria are the filter, so my rationale (partly from my work background) is they should be fruitful and multiply since the cycle is feeding them. But then I get those startup bottles aren’t cheap. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, ECLS Reefer said:

they should be fruitful and multiply since the cycle is feeding them.

Isn't it the ammonia that's feeding them and causing them to multiply?

Honestly, I don't mind waiting. Everything seems to be doing surprisingly well in the holding tank. I'm not dosing, so there there isn't a lot of coral growth, but no decline either so it's all good.

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
4 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Isn't it the ammonia that's feeding them and causing them to multiply?

Honestly, I don't mind waiting. Everything seems to be doing surprisingly well in the holding tank. I'm not dosing, so there there isn't a lot of coral growth, but no decline either so it's all good.

I can’t say it speeds anything up. I just like to have a really strong bio filter since I feed the tank a lot. And yes I believe they do consume the ammonia which makes them multiply as well. I’m always a more is better kinda person. 

• Like 2

Ammonia below .25, but not 0

Nitrites still off the chart

ordering some brightwell Xport biocubes to seed with more nitrifying bacteria and putting in the sump once my pump gets here and I get it online (today).

• Like 3

New pump arrived yesterday looking slightly damaged! Ugh! I'm pretty sure it's only cosmetic, but at $300 I don't want to take any chances and get it wet and then Marine Depot tells me I can't return it. I called them and they said I had to send them pictures. So now waiting to hear back from them. I now I learn they are closing up shop and turning everything over to BRS. Had I known that, I would have just ordered it from BRS!

In other news, Ammonia is 0

Nitrites still high

didn't test nitrate.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Wow 1
Murphs_Reef
36 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

New pump arrived yesterday looking slightly damaged! Ugh! I'm pretty sure it's only cosmetic, but at $300 I don't want to take any chances and get it wet and then Marine Depot tells me I can't return it. I called them and they said I had to send them pictures. So now waiting to hear back from them. I now I learn they are closing up shop and turning everything over to BRS. Had I known that, I would have just ordered it from BRS!

In other news, Ammonia is 0

Nitrites still high

didn't test nitrate.

Yeah 300 quid for a pump.. you want that in excellent condition.... 

You should be fine with the return but I know what you mean .. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Murphych said:

Howa it going lady?? 

Waiting for the replacement pump to get here. Nitrites are around 2. Nitrates still above 50. Once I get the sump on line, I'll do a big water change. Things should move along pretty well then I would think. It looks so pristine right now. I know once I add fish and start feeding the ugly stage will start.

Family is getting anxious to see fish in there.

• Like 4

LFS had the pump in stock today so picked it up. Out of the box it was missing one of the 4 little rubber feet! Starting to lose a little faith in this company. Back to the store I went (20 minutes away, so 40 minutes out of my day). No problem replacing it at least. Now I'm getting ready to watch some videos on how to install it and set up the driver.

• Like 1

Everything is such a hassle. Chose this pump largely because it said the return outlet is 3/4 inch, which is what my return line is. However, it is meant for gluing PVC pipe, and this system came with flexible hosing. Of course they sell adapters for just such a situation. Seriously, a $300 pump couldn't come with $10 parts? Every other pump I've ever purchased came with a crapload of adapters! So I found something from an old pump and rigged it to work until the proper pieces come in. Really starting to dislike this company!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
39 minutes ago, Murphych said:

What pump is this then.. what did I say to you before ??! Get a TMC REEF PUMP... it's only £100 and is excellent... 

You'll have to send me one from London then.

39 minutes ago, ECLS Reefer said:

Jebao all the way. So much more affordable

Shoulda' listened to you

ECLS Reefer
5 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

You'll have to send me one from London then.

Shoulda' listened to you

Well if it doesn’t work out or you want a back up pump, they’re easy to order on Amazon. That’s the brand StinkyBunny recommended and they really do work well- can buy a really big one for a nice price compared to Vortex and the other big names. 

• Like 2

Got the pump working, so tank and sump are now working as one. But the control rate valve (like a gate valve) on the down pipe does not work. It's stays wide open and will not adjust down, so the overflow box is at it's lowest possible level so lots of gurgling going on if I have the return going at any decent rate. Currently have it set at a very low rate so as not to hear it. 

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer
21 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Got the pump working, so tank and sump are now working as one. But the control rate valve (like a gate valve) on the down pipe does not work. It's stays wide open and will not adjust down, so the overflow box is at it's lowest possible level so lots of gurgling going on if I have the return going at any decent rate. Currently have it set at a very low rate so as not to hear it. 

I hate that sound. Mine did that for some reason last night and scared the hell out of me

• Like 1

The valve on the red sea tanks suck.........it is finicky and needs small adjustments. When you say not working you may need to pull the valve apart and take a look at it. There should be 4 screws on it and it may have been put together wrong ?  yeah may have to get a towel as water will come out of the overflow when the pipe is pulled.......

• Thanks 1

So finally managed to force the valve apart, played around with it and got it working. Took awhile to get it properly dialed, but I have to say that it is extremely quiet at the moment.

Added a little bit of sand from the IM14 to the refugium area of the sump. It wasn't my intention, but there was a snail in it. I think if he fares well overnight I'll seriously consider adding a couple of my fish. Question is, which ones first?

• Like 5
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane Movin' On Up-Retired