Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Penny's Lane Movin' On Up-Retired

Pjanssen

Finally wet...................... and as far as a leopard I think it depends on what kind.......... my blue star would eat anything tossed in the tank..............

and well have to................... your old like me so you will understand............. :lol:

Image result for George Jefferson Meme Moving On Up

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
Murphs_Reef
16 hours ago, ECLS Reefer said:

I wouldn’t get a leopard until the rocks are aged to about 6months or a year- that way you don’t have to constantly add pods to the tank. Make sure you put bio blocks or a pod hotel in the sump too. I have a pound of rock per gallon I think which is why my tank looks like a drop off wall but it’s sustained both the leopard wrasse and the mandarin without issue. 

True story. I have to out 3 bags of pods in a week for my dusky to stay fed and away from the snails... I also have to out in a couple snails a week as it doesn't work. By the end of the week there is nothing left other than the fat dusky wrasse... 

• Like 2

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 5+

So here's where I'm confused reading the different sites on how to fishless cycle. Do I dose ammonia again to 2 ppm to keep the bacteria fed?  Or do I just wait until the Nitrites come down, Nitrates up, do a water change then add a fish?

Some sites suggest adding a pinch of fish food

I seriously dislike the API Nitrite test kit. The color code between 2 and 5 are so minute that I ca't really tell if it's at 2 or 5. Doesn't really matter I guess, Will pick up a nitrate test kit today and start testing that. Everyone keeps asking when I'm going to put fish in. Patience, my friends.

nUn5augrQO8aiIU7N8Fw_patient_1.thumb.jpg.d159de1125ec2168a3297583272dc30a.jpg

• Haha 2

Picked up a RedSea nitrate test kit. Todays reading well above 50ppm. Time for a water change I suppose. Might have to wait until tomorrow evening though. Happy Father's day to all you dads 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Murphych said:

Ah sorry! I thought you where still dosing. 

I haven't dosed a second dose yet. Directions say to wait until Nitrite drops to re-dose. Of course, I didn't check for Nitrites today either!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
RoyalGramma001
15 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Once the return pump gets here and I get it on line, I'll do a water change. Dose some ammonia, and if the next day it's at zero I'll add a fish or 2.

What are you planning for fish?

47 minutes ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

What are you planning for fish?

From 2 other tanks that will be transferred over I have 2 True Perculla clowns, 2 Engineer gobies, 1 Pygmy hawkfish, 1 basslet and 1 green banded goby. not sure what I will add after that. If I feel I can keep an established pod population down the road, maybe a leopard wrasse and/or a mandarin.

• Like 2
RoyalGramma001
50 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

From 2 other tanks that will be transferred over I have 2 True Perculla clowns, 2 Engineer gobies, 1 Pygmy hawkfish, 1 basslet and 1 green banded goby. not sure what I will add after that. If I feel I can keep an established pod population down the road, maybe a leopard wrasse and/or a mandarin.

That would be very cool! I have an engineer goby in my 55. Just got an eel so maybe you should possibly try a Hawaiian dwarf moray

• Like 1

Out of curiosity and my own learning experience, I dosed 2 ppm of ammonium Chloride yesterday. This morning it is down to between .5 and 1.0. I think I expected it to be 0, but it hasn't been 24 hours yet either. I'll be at work at the 24 hour mark, but will test when I get home.

Nitrite on the API is till reading 5+, or maybe only 2-Stupid test kit!

Nitite on a Red Sea is well above 1, which is the highest number on the test card. 

Nitrate on Red Sea test kit is still above 50

So we keep waiting.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane Movin' On Up-Retired