Jump to content
Pjanssen

Penny's Lane Movin' On Up

Recommended Posts

Pjanssen

Left side view, as see from the couch.

IMG_2259.thumb.jpeg.a52fb5db3b4d1834fd626c26e8a6bc2b.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Pjanssen

Both pieces in now. I like the look. but wondering if I shouldn't add some height to the right side, just for the sake of coral placement. Mulling it over.

 

IMG_2258.thumb.jpeg.5b9969b1157a20257eb118382a752b6c.jpeg

I guess the reflections might be better if I wore black!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Pjanssen

So next comes sand and water, but I don't have a pump yet so I won't be able to get it cycling until I get off the pot and make a decision and order something. I'm taking this whole "nothing good happens fast in reefing" to a whole new level!

Share this post


Link to post
Pjanssen

right side view

IMG_2261.thumb.jpeg.eb1913b6c5920ae2a783e7260a479abb.jpeg

Right angle view as see from the kitchen

 

IMG_2260.thumb.jpeg.363d67fe0a4546263ab584d2b1ad0cae.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Pjanssen

Left angle view as seen from the family room

 

IMG_2262.thumb.jpeg.b3176448685c59ab847fff61b24b2004.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Pjanssen

IMG_2263.thumb.jpeg.c823b1b5b5de41203d1dcad512fdefd9.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
FISHnChix
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

So next comes sand and water, but I don't have a pump yet so I won't be able to get it cycling until I get off the pot and make a decision and order something. I'm taking this whole "nothing good happens fast in reefing" to a whole new level!

Did you leak test the sump and tank at least? I would recommend testing it setup with plumbing and freshwater for a leak test.. when I put together mine I pinched a o ring in the plumbing . Would have been a bigger pain draining salt water 

1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

Left angle view as seen from the family room

 

IMG_2262.thumb.jpeg.b3176448685c59ab847fff61b24b2004.jpeg

I really like that scape. I wouldnt add a thing now. Looks perfect!

Share this post


Link to post
Murphych

Very good 👍🏼

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Pjanssen
1 hour ago, FISHnChix said:

Did you leak test the sump and tank at least? I would recommend testing it setup with plumbing and freshwater for a leak test.. when I put together mine I pinched a o ring in the plumbing . Would have been a bigger pain draining salt water 

I really like that scape. I wouldnt add a thing now. Looks perfect!

I did not leak test-I had planned to, but then somehow things got away from me and I jumped ahead. fingers crossed 🤞

Thanks

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Pjanssen

So @FISHnChix, can you explain how I set up the included ato? I'm sure I will eventually want to upgrade to a bigger reservoir, but for now I need to utilize this one. I can't believe there are no instructions included.

Share this post


Link to post
FISHnChix
10 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

So @FISHnChix, can you explain how I set up the included ato? I'm sure I will eventually want to upgrade to a bigger reservoir, but for now I need to utilize this one. I can't believe there are no instructions included.

Sheez it's been like 3 years since I set mine up and I've drank a lot of beers since then 😉😅bWanna say it was super simple. You just install the little float valve in the pump section and run the little piece of rubber tubing to the reservoir that will sit on top of the sump . The reservoir just sits on the 2 glass peices glued to the inside of the sump.. fill with water and your done easy peesie 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Pjanssen

There is about 30 pounds of rock and 60 pounds of live sand in the display. Not sure where I am suppose to add rock and/or sand in the sump. Will get it figured out today. Ordered a Sicce  Syncra SDC 6.0 WIFI Controllable Pump 530-1400 GPH since I have experience with Sicce and like them. It was a bit pricey, but hopefully will last a long time.

Added Fitz ammonium chloride to 4ppm per instructions and 32 oz Fritz Zyme 9. Game on!

IMG_2264.thumb.jpeg.4fd9fb3ac0c4cc08ec893ffa9382b855.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Murphych

I wouldn't add anything to the sump, not right away anyway. Let it cycle first and get some N and P numbers then decide.. it's a lot of extra mucking about you don't need in my view, but i suppose it depends on what the goal is... 

 

Mine is empty these days and the tank is so much better for it 

PXL_20210614_204725941.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Pjanssen
3 hours ago, Murphych said:

I wouldn't add anything to the sump, not right away anyway. Let it cycle first and get some N and P numbers then decide.. it's a lot of extra mucking about you don't need in my view, but i suppose it depends on what the goal is... 

 

Mine is empty these days and the tank is so much better for it 

PXL_20210614_204725941.jpg

What do you mean empty? I see water and a protein skimmer. Are you not running it? 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Murphych
4 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

What do you mean empty? I see water and a protein skimmer. Are you not running it? 😕

Sorry empty as in, just equipment and  a bio block.  But don't run sand or rock (the 3 bits of rock I do have in there are intended for the display when I get some more epoxy)

I did dabble with a refugium but it was just another thing to look after. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Pjanssen

Ammonia this morning still at 4 ppm. No surprise.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Pjanssen

Nitrites are reading above 2.0 (API test kit), so there is some ammonia breakdown happening. Yay!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Pjanssen

Ammonia down to between 1-2. Nitrites above 5

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Murphych

Well underway now then 👍🏼

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Pjanssen
1 hour ago, Murphych said:

Well underway now then

Yes. I'm hoping for a pretty short cycle so that I can get the temporary tank up off the floor.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Pjanssen

Ammonia .5

Nitrites 5+

Share this post


Link to post
Murphych

👍🏼👍🏼 Great!  Now tell me this, what tang are you having??? 

Share this post


Link to post
Pjanssen
1 hour ago, Murphych said:

👍🏼👍🏼 Great!  Now tell me this, what tang are you having??? 

The grandson would love to have a dory, but I'm about a hundred gallons (378.5 liters) of water short for that! Really haven't given it much thought beyond that. I kind of want a leopard wrasse, but still doing some research on that. Wanted sawfish, but decided against the deep sand bed, so I gave up that idea. I already have 7 fish from the other two tanks that will be going in, so will have to see what is comparable with them.

 

*Jawfish 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan

Leopard Wrasse are beautiful but you will need to keep up the pod population to keep them healthy

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
ECLS Reefer
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

The grandson would love to have a dory, but I'm about a hundred gallons (378.5 liters) of water short for that! Really haven't given it much thought beyond that. I kind of want a leopard wrasse, but still doing some research on that. Wanted sawfish, but decided against the deep sand bed, so I gave up that idea. I already have 7 fish from the other two tanks that will be going in, so will have to see what is comparable with them.

 

*Jawfish 

I wouldn’t get a leopard until the rocks are aged to about 6months or a year- that way you don’t have to constantly add pods to the tank. Make sure you put bio blocks or a pod hotel in the sump too. I have a pound of rock per gallon I think which is why my tank looks like a drop off wall but it’s sustained both the leopard wrasse and the mandarin without issue. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...