Top Shelf Aquatics

Penny's Lane Movin' On Up-Retired

Pjanssen

1 hour ago, Murphych said:

See my cure for GHA 

I found your very brief GHA post, and the thing is I've been doing all of those things: Weekly water changes, manual removal, changing out the filter socks a few times a week, lots of snails that I'm continuously placing on the worst areas...Some of the worst algae is growing on the shells of the snails. lol, guess they can't eat it off their own backs.

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1

Don't get me wrong.. I remember one Sunday I spent a back breaking few hours picking every single hair I could see. But it does work, as soon as it's at a volume your snails can control. How many snails do you have?

I settled on 60ish for my tank and that halted the GHA, but I could easily have another 20 to keep film algae away. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Murphych said:

How many snails do you have?

I settled on 60ish for my tank and that halted the GHA, but I could easily have another 20 to keep film algae away. 

Between the cerith, astrea, nassirius, and turbos(maybe the same as astrea) I’m sure there are more than 60. Not sure how much the tiny little ceriths do. Guess it wouldn’t hurt to add more

33 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Between the cerith, astrea, nassirius, and turbos(maybe the same as astrea) I’m sure there are more than 60. Not sure how much the tiny little ceriths do. Guess it wouldn’t hurt to add more

Get a blenny. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Murphych said:

I remember one Sunday I spent a back breaking few hours picking every single hair

Sometimes I wonder if pulling the algae off surfaces while in the tank may release the spores into the column and create more of a problem.

23 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Definitely considering a lawnmower Benny, but I think Hawkeye alwAys torments them to death when I get them

I’ve got a starry and an ember in with the hawk fish and the starry is a monster- the hawk fish never bothers him. And the ember only ever wants to pick at the back of the tank so again- never seen the hawk go for him. But mines a bigger tank than yours. 

Maybe find a really big lawnmower blenny and he won’t go for it

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, ECLS Reefer said:

I’ve got a starry and an ember in with the hawk fish and the starry is a monster- the hawk fish never bothers him. And the ember only ever wants to pick at the back of the tank so again- never seen the hawk go for him. But mines a bigger tank than yours. 

Maybe find a really big lawnmower blenny and he won’t go for it

I love starry blennys. o they eat algae

4 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Oh yes they eat enough algae to look like Jabba the Hut on a salad kick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I have one in my 20 and it’s always picking…..I did see it go after a piece of krill also….so just not an algae eater……

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
 48 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I could be excited about my tank if every fricken expensive coral that I put in didn't die. Can't afford to keep throwing hard earned money away or watch livings things shrivel up and die. I've lost several heads of my formerly super hardy hammer, an entire colony of favia, and a $200+ torch that my husband bought me for my birthday in October. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

But the kids still like watching the fish swim around, so maybe I'll just transition to a FOWLER. 🤷‍♀️

Hmm...  How stable has your alkalinity and nutrient levels been?  I usually question alkalinity when stony corals suffer.

2 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

busy. and frustrated/bored with reefing.

I feel that I've been there before too.  After my dino bloom (which I believe to be due to dosing Vibrant), I've been mostly ignoring my tanks lately (mostly on purpose to let the dino bloom burn out), and the corals seem surprisingly happy.  Sometimes it's hard to predict what makes a tank successful.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, seabass said:

Hmm...  How stable has your alkalinity and nutrient levels been?  I usually question alkalinity when stony corals suffer.

I feel that I've been there before too.  After my dino bloom (which I believe to be due to dosing Vibrant), I've been mostly ignoring my tanks lately (mostly on purpose to let the dino bloom burn out), and the corals seem surprisingly happy.  Sometimes it's hard to predict what makes a tank successful.

When I put the torch in everything was super stable, but after losing that and my Favia colony I’ve kind of thrown my hands up in the air with a who gives a #%*# attitude. Haven’t tested since October (haven’t lost anything since then either!). I pretty much just feed the fish every couple of days and throw in some LRS here and there.

• Like 6
On 1/20/2022 at 7:54 PM, Pjanssen said:

When I put the torch in everything was super stable, but after losing that and my Favia colony I’ve kind of thrown my hands up in the air with a who gives a #%*# attitude. Haven’t tested since October (haven’t lost anything since then either!). I pretty much just feed the fish every couple of days and throw in some LRS here and there.

I wanna see this "penny throw your hands in the air like ya just don't care" dance! 

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2022 at 10:12 PM, ererer said:

Sorry to hear you're having so many tank woes 😞 Are you still having GHA problems? Could try picking up some urchins.

Actually, I'm not having any real issues right now with the tank. Algae is well under control and it stays pretty stable. For some reason though, I lost some substantial corals last fall and Now I'm just really discouraged-feeling like even after 15 years of reefing I still have no clue as to what I am doing. So I've not added anything to the tank in quite awhile and it looks pretty bare and boring to me. Right now life is super busy so I don't have a lot of time for the tank, but if and when things settle down, I am sure I will give it some TLC and start posting updates again.

• Like 2

Upon feeding the tank this morning, I noticed that the water feels really warm. The ink bird is on the fritz, and I don't have a thermometer at the moment so I'm just going mostly by touch. I did drop an oral thermometer in and it's reading 96, but I doubt that that is accurate. Everything seems fine, so maybe my hands are just cold. I dropped a 8oz frozen water bottle in to cool it down a touch. Will stop at petco on my way to work to pick up a thermometer but won't get to test until later this afternoon or possibly 9 or 10 tonight if I can't get away from work before that. Fingers crossed it's just my imagination 

• Wow 2
13 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Upon feeding the tank this morning, I noticed that the water feels really warm. The ink bird is on the fritz, and I don't have a thermometer at the moment so I'm just going mostly by touch. I did drop an oral thermometer in and it's reading 96, but I doubt that that is accurate. Everything seems fine, so maybe my hands are just cold. I dropped a 8oz frozen water bottle in to cool it down a touch. Will stop at petco on my way to work to pick up a thermometer but won't get to test until later this afternoon or possibly 9 or 10 tonight if I can't get away from work before that. Fingers crossed it's just my imagination 

You could use a digital cooking thermometer 😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane Movin' On Up-Retired