SaltCritters.com

Penny's Lane Movin' On Up-Retired

Pjanssen

the acans ate a baby Bangai Cardinal. I realize the fish likely died first, I just don't know why. Th hubby put him in yesterday. Said he acclimated for an hour then added tank water to the bag a couple of times. Possible Hawkeye harassed it to death. 2nd fish in a week to not make it 24 hours. No more fish for awhile.

IMG_2492.thumb.jpeg.b88f63ada4bbf364c95d2129d92874b6.jpeg

• Sad 6
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

the acans ate a baby Bangai Cardinal. I realize the fish likely died first, I just don't know why. Th hubby put him in yesterday. Said he acclimated for an hour then added tank water to the bag a couple of times. Possible Hawkeye harassed it to death. 2nd fish in a week to not make it 24 hours. No more fish for awhile.

IMG_2492.thumb.jpeg.b88f63ada4bbf364c95d2129d92874b6.jpeg

Sounds a little like new tank syndrome problems. 

• Like 2

Shhhhhhh. I have a confession to make. My tank is boring me. I always thought when I finally upgraded to a bigger tank, that I would do something different-maybe a predator tank. Maybe a fowler with lots of fish. IDK. But here I am with the same ol' same ol'. I mean, I guess I had to transfer over my livestock from the 29, but now I don't know what to do to peak my interest. Sigh. Anyway, just venting. Thanks for listening. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Shhhhhhh. I have a confession to make. My tank is boring me. I always thought when I finally upgraded to a bigger tank, that I would do something different-maybe a predator tank. Maybe a fowler with lots of fish. IDK. But here I am with the same ol' same ol'. I mean, I guess I had to transfer over my livestock from the 29, but now I don't know what to do to peak my interest. Sigh. Anyway, just venting. Thanks for listening. 

Yeah I experienced that as well. I find that buying corals keeps me sane although I am running out of room

7 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Shhhhhhh. I have a confession to make. My tank is boring me.

Could always try growing some gigantic gorgonians. It seems to work for me! 😅

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

That's where you just leave it coast for 6 months to mature 👍🏼

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

What about adding one amazing colorful larger fish that you could never have had with the smaller tanks?  It could be your show-stopper.

• Like 3

I did the same as you as moving what I had over. It didn't give me the Scape I wanted ended up carrying over the same challenges I had with the small tank. Maybe just maybe it should have been a hard reset. I'm letting mine go into cruise control now. I can't add anything else, which means that the tank will fall into the backdrop a little bit perhaps.... Another tank? Na. Maybe another hobby to fill the void? Personally I'm not sure I have the extra cash left 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

General maintenance last night...Scraped the glass in both the display and sump. Cleaned the filter sock. Vacuumed the sand bed. Started manually pulling some GHA of the rocks, then quickly realized there is way more than I thought. UGH! Did about about a 20 gallon water change, where I normally only change out about 10.

A friend of my husbands gave me an almost brand new Red Sea 300 skimmer. This thing is massive and probably too much for my system. I may try it though. It's been suggested that I don't have to run it all of the time, maybe just a few hours a day or only at night or something. Anybody have any experience with running a skimmer like that?

I've been dosing Red Sea AB+ per instructions. Wondering if that may be contributing to the algae issue. I'm going to back the dose down to half the recommended for a couple of weeks and see if that makes any difference.

Been having some issues with the float for the ATO. It seems to clog pretty easily. Might have to try to figure out some kind of lid for the reservoir to keep small particles from gettin in the water. I really don't want to put a pump in there because I only have 1 slot left on my electric strip and that is designated for the skimmer. No room for a second strip.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Xj reefing said:

I was told that not even one of these would work in rsr 250. I might be wrong though 

recommendation is 70 gallon tank minimum. I've seen people with 45 gallons keep them. I probably will decide against it.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

recommendation is 70 gallon tank minimum. I've seen people with 45 gallons keep them. I probably will decide against it.

I had a tang in my 20 gallon...............the tang was about an inch long of that.............

Tominis are great and I had one in a 40 breeder for a while until I got the 100 going............. I think you would be fine with it for a while..............if looking for something to eat the hair get some turbos............. I had a bunch in the new 20 and tossed a few in and its finally looking god now.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I have seen it done but I have also read that they might get a bit more aggressive. I think do it but if it becomes overly aggressive to take it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Green hair algae is trying to take over. Did a water change and reduced the light intensity by 50% for a couple of weeks. I want to get the skimmer on line, but I'm leaving for 5 days and don't won't to worry about any possible issues while I'm gone so that will have to wait until next week. Adding fish will wait until I get these nutrients under control.

8 hours ago, Xj reefing said:

When I first started my 250 I noticed a bit of hair algae growing on the sand bed but after a few weeks it was all gone. It might just be part of the ugly stage

8 hours ago, Xj reefing said:

When I first started my 250 I noticed a bit of hair algae growing on the sand bed but after a few weeks it was all gone. It might just be part of the ugly stage

I hope it doesn't last. On quite a bit more than the sand bad. I argee about it being part of the ugly stage. Just trying to help alleviate it a bit with some husbandry/extra maintenance. 

10 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I hope it doesn't last. On quite a bit more than the sand bad. I argee about it being part of the ugly stage. Just trying to help alleviate it a bit with some husbandry/extra maintenance. 

I found that by cleaning my sand bed during my weekly water chages it helped for the sand bed. Maybe for the rocks you can cut it down and siphon it out when doing a water change.

• Like 1
On 9/10/2021 at 4:25 PM, Pjanssen said:

I think the yellow eyed kole tangs are way cooler!  If you never payed attention to them at the store they are way more purple than most photos online show.. 

In my experience with skimmers they dont like to be turned off and on. Seems like the need adjusted every time they turn back on. Some times causing the cup to over flow when turned back on..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hair algae continues to get the best of me and this tank. Still haven't put the skimmer on line yet-I just think the one I have (a free Red Sea RSK 300) going to be too big for the system overall and end up being a waste of valuable time to set up and get dialed in. I added some carbon and GFO today to see if that helps a little. Thinking of expanding the refugium area and adding more macros to try to out compete. I wouldn't mind so much and just let it run it's course, but it seems to be smothering the Zoas and Acans, and I've lost a couple of heads of my hammer-not sure if it's related or not.

• Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane Movin' On Up-Retired