Top Shelf Aquatics

Penny's Lane Movin' On Up-Retired

Pjanssen

1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

Oh Yeah, I still have bubble algae🤪🙄

Dont we all............. :lol: that is one algae that seems to follow me........... 

• Like 1

I understand your frustration with never being able to grow sps. A few weeks ago I had a seemingly heathland birds nest that melted over night and in the last 3 days my pocillopora that I’ve had for months started stripping randomly. It may have been because of another sps stinging it but it has just continued to wither 

• Sad 1
  • 3 weeks later...

a few updates:

Tank seems to be stabilizing again with alk hanging around 6.8-7.2, working on micro doing to try to get it to stay 7.1-7.2. Calcium steady at 440

All of the hair algae and culepera or whatever it was is gone. still some bubble algae but nothing out of control (yet?).

Still dealing with growth on the sandbed, but its getting better

I've failed in my attempts to do small weekly water changes, life happens, but managed about at 20% change today and I'm good with that.

Discovered some polyps on the base of the Stylopora, so all is not lost

image.thumb.jpeg.1ec14a84ab8d9f53bb7722ff07e35182.jpeg

Really bad picture, but seems as though some of the color is coming back in the seasons greetingimage.thumb.jpeg.3b219dba9a1beb73b4f3eef744993e2a.jpeg

The main Red monti is also looking much better, but I can't capture it with my camera. There seems to be a sliver of growth from the neon green monti as well. Waiting for the Idaho grape to show some improvement.

Sad news: The blood shrimp has disappeared.

And just because:

RFA:

image.thumb.jpeg.7b867029b69564f21b4e3a3147d282d5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ac87289517c4dd118e4acfe12c09efd6.jpeg

• Like 5
On 8/28/2022 at 11:52 AM, Pjanssen said:

I think all but the lime green will be okay. I hope so because they use to be stunning.

I've had them come back from far, far worse.

Like, recently a setosa that had literally 3 polyps left when I stopped neglecting my tank (went through a few months of depression). I then subsequently tried to kill those 3 polyps with a kalk overdose and a power outage the same month ... and now, 2 months later in my new tank, it's re-encrusting its old skeleton. Pretty much the same for a superman on the same rock.

Just be nice to them. 🙂

EDIT: I thought I was reading the last/most recent page when I replied. I'm an idiot. I see they're doing better -- nice. Take or ignore my belated encouragement accordingly..

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

How the heck did the urchin dislodge long established Zoanthid!!

They pull on the polyps.  If they are loose at all (even firmly attached to some loose coralline), they can pull them off.  They make good frags which you can either attach in a new spot, or put on a frag plug and sell/trade.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, seabass said:

They pull on the polyps.  If they are loose at all (even firmly attached to some loose coralline), they can pull them off.  They make good frags which you can either attach in a new spot, or put on a frag plug and sell/trade.

Maybe I should just let the urchin keep them!(which I have now named Shiny )image.gif.2b6e6f09da4f88e892a8761f80e02349.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2022 at 1:46 AM, Murphs_Reef said:

About the same. However now COVID is gone and I can get out of bed, time to sort this bloody tank out amongst other neglected jobs 

I'm feeling ya'. Only thing thriving in my tank is hair algae.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
6 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I'm feeling ya'. Only thing thriving in my tank is hair algae.

i have that issue also but corals are growing with the algae…… not sure if I just need a break and say f it and take it down or……

• Like 2
23 hours ago, spectra said:

i have that issue also but corals are growing with the algae…… not sure if I just need a break and say f it and take it down or……

my only issue with this is that I'm a bit attached to the fish.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

my only issue with this is that I'm a bit attached to the fish.

Had a dwarf lionfish in there and well............... it went carpet surfing about 6 months ago.............. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • 1 month later...

sooooo...been a minute(or 2). I'm still here. Tank is still here. Hair algae is still here. So nothing new. See ya!

LOL. I haven't done a water change since Sept 18. tank doesn't seem to be any worse, (or better) for it. I did lose the blood shrimp, maybe related maybe not. Hair algae still there, but no worse than it was. So do I do a water change now that I have time to, or become one of those reefers that never does a water change yet still have a beautiful thriving system? IDK. Except for the stress of me telling myself every week that I need to do a water change, it's been nice not doing them, not to mention the cost of salt these days!

One issue that I'm having is that the hose for the ato keeps clogging so my top offs aren't consistent. I'm having to go in every couple of days and blowing debris out of the hose. ew! not sure how gunk gets in there, as the ato reservoir is clean. Guess I'll make some water.

• Like 3

so decided to do a water change, 10 gallons which is about 15%. Probably should have done more while I was at it, but that was all of the water that I made so...

While cleaning the sump, I somehow managed to break one of the glass partitions, leaving a sharp edge and a little personal blood behind.

image.thumb.jpeg.06765da95d16298d94402b5160202659.jpeg

To hopefully avoid future blood donations, we rigged a covering of sorts out of Aquastick putty

image.thumb.jpeg.632a84f78a41490d2738eb4ab5ac83df.jpeg

• Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's Lane Movin' On Up-Retired