Cultivated Reef

Help With Pest SPS Coral

ajkochev

Yes you heard right, a  SPS coral has become a pest in my tank.  I have a Neon Teal Stylophora that I bought with just three branches on a few years ago.  It has done great and became to large colony.  This coral seems to have reproduced or broadcast itself in the tank as I have several growths of this everywhere now.  These satellite colonies are now getting to big, preventing other corals from growing  and I want to get rid of them.  How to do this?  Dremeling them off and selling them is possible on a few as I can remove the rock they are on but on others they are just too small and in places I can't dremel, I'd like to just kill them off but don't know how.  I only have a 3gallon pico and the stylo corals are encroaching on others I'd like to grow out.  I'm also worried about killing them off affecting water quality.

Sounds like a pocillopora and not a stylo. Perhaps turn the pump off and frag them off with bone cutters and cover the spot with epoxy. 

• Like 1

Yeah looks like this is pocillopora.  Of course I didn't research it like I should of.  In the LFS it looked like a good SPS to try.  Didn't expect it to do so well.  From what I'm reading now this can take over tanks.  Don't think I'm going to be able to sell it for that reason so I'm just going to cut off what I can and epoxy over the top.  Thanks all.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2021 at 10:56 PM, rough eye said:

does anything eat it?

A yellow clown goby probably! They love to pick at SPS. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Must be a Poc.  Big Teal Stylos are almost impossible to find and don't reproduce like that.

Pocillopora, or better known as SPS GSP can get out of hand spreading like this.

Try F Aiptasia or kalk paste. Also, most reef stores will take them and sell them to beginners.

• Like 1
On 6/4/2021 at 12:01 PM, ajkochev said:

Yes you heard right, a  SPS coral has become a pest in my tank.  I have a Neon Teal Stylophora that I bought with just three branches on a few years ago.  It has done great and became to large colony.  This coral seems to have reproduced or broadcast itself in the tank as I have several growths of this everywhere now.  These satellite colonies are now getting to big, preventing other corals from growing  and I want to get rid of them.  How to do this?  Dremeling them off and selling them is possible on a few as I can remove the rock they are on but on others they are just too small and in places I can't dremel, I'd like to just kill them off but don't know how.  I only have a 3gallon pico and the stylo corals are encroaching on others I'd like to grow out.  I'm also worried about killing them off affecting water quality.

I sure would like to see a pic of this!!!  Especially in a 3 gallon pico!!!!  I kinda love runamucky corals and plants LOL.

• Like 2

Here's a picture of mine in my 20. They grow really fast up to this point but then slow down. They can be pretty tenacious when smaller though and spawn a lot when stressed. Mine has been pretty well behaved and isn't trying to outgrow the tank like that birdsnest is. 

Blue and rainbow pocs are quite pretty but uncommon, unlike my green one. I rarely see the pink any more.

20210715_173910.jpg

• Like 3
Murphs_Reef
4 minutes ago, blasterman said:

Here's a picture of mine in my 20. They grow really fast up to this point but then slow down. They can be pretty tenacious when smaller though and spawn a lot when stressed. Mine has been pretty well behaved and isn't trying to outgrow the tank like that birdsnest is. 

Blue and rainbow pocs are quite pretty but uncommon, unlike my green one. I rarely see the pink any more.

20210715_173910.jpg

That's an interesting coral. I dabble with Simpler SPS but really don't venture into them to much, primarily due to stability of temperature as my tank is right next to the patio doors, and although I've thought about it, never really took defensive measures..  maybe once I sort that out I'll have a go with some... 

• Like 1