Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Aiptasia, bubble algae, copepod and ?

PeterU

2 hours ago, Murphych said:

Man you really have it all going on there 😂

All in a square inch 🤣😂.

I wanted an Emerald crab anyway, guess a peppermint will be joining him.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Why not manually remove the bubble algae and aiptasia x for the aiptasia?

You can barely see either they are that small. That copepod is a millimetre at most. I didn't even know they were aiptasia until I put a PolypLab scope on it last night and zoomed a camera on this morning.

• 1 month later...

So what I assumed were Aiptasia are actually some sort of tube worms. I have at least 3 colonies of them thriving in my tank.

• Like 2

I'd say hydroids rather than aiptasia - if you poke the stalk they're on, if it fully retracts to the rockwork it's aiptasia, but if there's a tube there it's not.  They do appear a bit like feather dusters, but my vote is still hydroids as the tendrils don't have feathers, really.

As for the thing top right, if it's also in the second picture, definitely a sponge.  Otherwise there's a chance of being a tunicate or maybe even a coral - would need a better pic or a description of feel/etc.

I know they aren't aiptasia after checking them out closely yesterday. They definitely have tubes. I'll check out hydroids.