inTank Media Baskets

Mini Tank Crash

afterwinter

afterwinter

*I apologize for the length of this ahead of time*

Ugh. We went away from Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. Obviously something had to go wrong. For unknown reasons the GFCI tripped, shutting down the tank(Fluval Evo 13.5). 

The tank was only 65F with no flow when we arrived home. We added an additional heater to help bring everything back up to temperature. I added a new bag of carbon since I have a lot of angry corals. The clownfish seems to be fine. My Wheeler's Goby was breathing heavy and looking sad and is now hiding under the rocks. Half of my soft corals look fine besides shedding. The other half look really angry, shriveled, and close to melting. My Favias were mucus covered and have lost some flesh, my Acans seem to be fine besides being very inflated. It looks like some of my snails may have died but many were just tucked into their shells. The tank does not smell pleasant. Obviously I have to do repeated water changes. My dilemma is what to do besides that.

I  was getting ready to switch from this tank(Evo 13.5) to a Fiji Cube 38 peninsula. Should I immediately kick that into high gear and put in live sand, live rock and new water? Do I move corals that are looking ok and keep the sick/injured ones in the Evo? Should I try to get the Evo stable and not do anything with the new tank for a few weeks? I don't really know what to do 😕 I am worried about things dying, shedding, throwing around mucus causing a further death of corals and possibly the fish.

Any suggestions on how to minimize the damage?

mitten_reef

Pics?

water change til most mucus is gone, run carbon in case something is in water. 

unless the other tank is already cycled and ready to go, won’t make any difference if you fix it in here or try to set the other one up at the moment

afterwinter

Thank goodness it doesn't look particularly dramatic but my Anthelia and Xenia, of all things, are shrinking up more and more and my Favias are very washed out with patches of decay. I don't think I can find my goby unless I start moving rocks. Unfortunately even with the macro lens I didn't get great pictures of the situation, I apologize.

Really what worries me is that it smells bad and how do I go about deep cleaning it without ripping the whole tank apart. Will repeat water changes help enough? Should I try suctioning out the sandbed?

IMG_20210531_162255231.jpg

IMG_20210531_161950642.jpg

IMG_20210531_161923782.jpg

IMG_20210531_161858228.jpg

IMG_20210531_161916665.jpg

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer

So I’ve had something of this issue before, when I accidentally forgot to turn the flow back on after feeds. And I’ve had my heater cook the tank, so both sides of the coin. I did a big water change, threw in a big bag of carbon for a week, and watched. I lost some stuff but over all the tank came back fairly quickly. I’d say getting back to stable, water changes and good flow over carbon will help the most. Personally I’d be afraid to swap tanks with everything so mad, especially the fish right now- adding a big stressor like that could be their last straw. 

afterwinter

Thanks so much for the advice on just stabilizing and watching how things go. I did a 40% water change, removed any obviously dead snails, my chiton that didn't make it, and trimmed a gorgonian that lost a bit of flesh. My other gorgonians and leathers look fine. My toadstool is pretty angry but at least has its polyps out. The Anthelia is doing better. I might lose my Xenia and Clove polyps of all things. The LPS corals should regain tissue as long as nothing else happens.

I cannot find my goby and snapping shrimp without tearing everything down. I have neither seen nor heard them, so I am guessing that they didn't make it 💔 I just lost my almost 4 year old German Blue Ram in my freshwater tank (due to old age) so I kind of feel like a terrible fish mom this week. I guess I will have to spoil my clownfish for a while. Maybe working on the plan for my new tank will give me something to look forward to.

• Like 1